exhaust and brake advice !please help! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-08-2007, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

exhaust and brake advice !please help!

well my 1st problem is I am in the process of changing my brakes,Ihave done this a number of times successfully but for some reason I cant get them to compress this time.. the only difference between this time and before is I am changing all the fluid this time. I blead them for a hr atleast and get all the air out and still no compression not even a spongie feeling so im thinking maby my brake fluid is bad (its about 4 yrs old and I have been keeping it in my truck) or is there some trick? this is my first honda..I dunno this these brakes are driving me insane! does the brake fluid resivior cap need to be on tight?

My second problem is I ordered a jardine dual outlet pipe for it (its not here yet) took my stock exhaust off and noticed the butterfly valve attached to two cables in the midpipe do I trasfer this to the aftermarket midpipe and if so how I have never seen an exhaust like this in my life what is the purpose of such a device in the exhaust???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-08-2007, 12:27 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Re: exhaust and brake advice !please help!

I have the Jardine dual outlet exhaust, you replace that pipe with the one supplied from Jardine. as for the brakes
sounds like air in the line since air can compress and the brake fluid doesn't???? IDK!!!

DOH!!!!
post #3 of 18 Old 05-08-2007, 12:28 AM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

so the pads don't move in the calipers at all when you squeeze the brake lever? maybe the pistons are stuck.

those cables attach to the exhaust valve. your slip on is gonna eliminate the valve. the purpose of the valve is to build back pressure at low rpm to increase power in the low rev range. when you unhook the cables follow them up to the other end where they attach to a servo motor and take them off completely. make sure you either leave the servo in the position its in or if you have to turn it to get them off turn it back to where it was so you won't get an FI error light on your dash.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-08-2007, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

so the jardine pipe will have that valve on it so that all i have to do is connect the cables or?
post #5 of 18 Old 05-08-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizie00 View Post
so the jardine pipe will have that valve on it so that all i have to do is connect the cables or?

nope, aftermarket pipes eliminate that valve. you'll get another midpipe with the jardine can. take off the stock can and pipe/valve and install the jardine stuff. but the valve is operated by a servo motor. if you don't want a FI error light lit up on your dash all the time just disconnect the cable from the servo making sure you leave the motor in the same spot once your done. if the light comes on turn the servo motor by hand until it goes out.

post #6 of 18 Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

o i c thats what I was going to do just take the cables off but I kinda already moved that servo thingie with my hand, not really sure where it was... all the way clockwise..counter..or middle? so in the valve open position then? and does this mean I am going to loose low rpm power with a aftermarket exhaust? i want more power...
post #7 of 18 Old 05-08-2007, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

hell yea u saved the day I can finally get some rest this has been bugging me all night ill let ya know how things go with the brakes tomorrow thanks man!
post #8 of 18 Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 AM

Quote:
o i c thats what I was going to do just take the cables off but I kinda already moved that servo thingie with my hand, not really sure where it was... all the way clockwise..counter..or middle? so in the valve open position then? and does this mean I am going to loose low rpm power with a aftermarket exhaust? i want more power...

when you turn the bike on you'll either have a red light on the dash or not. if you do the servo is in the wrong position. so you're either gonna have to turn it or just live with the light on, I would turn it to get the light to go off.

I think the results vary for most people. on my old bike I had the valve safety wired in the full open position all the time and I didn't notice a difference in power anywhere in the rpm range. I bet even if you do notice any loss in power it'll be so low in the range the only time you'll ever be down there is leaving a stop.

post #9 of 18 Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

or i could just cut the stock muffler off replace it with the jardine keeping the valve so not to lose the low rpm power would that work? how much power did you gain off yours anything noticable? what about throttle response?
post #10 of 18 Old 05-08-2007, 1:01 AM

Quote:
or i could just cut the stock muffler off replace it with the jardine keeping the valve so not to lose the low rpm power would that work? how much power did you gain off yours anything noticable? what about throttle response?

not sure if you can just cut and replace, you'd have to do some welding. if I was you I would just use all the jardine parts.

well that was on my old 929. I didn't notice any difference anywhere (power, throttle response, smoothness) when I wired the valve open. I only did it because the gears inside the servo motor striped. but each bike is different and so is the rider.

my current 929 has a full sato system. right when I put that on I noticed an increase in power everywhere. and once I got it custom mapped I got even more power everywhere and it became buttery smooth (and I thought it was pretty smooth before).

post #11 of 18 Old 05-08-2007, 1:18 AM Thread Starter

k ill take ur advice you sound like you know what ur talking about thanks again
post #12 of 18 Old 05-08-2007, 8:31 AM

If you have yet to do it, check for the "flapper" mod. That helped revive some of my low-mid power on my 07. Good luck.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-08-2007, 9:50 PM

As far as the breaks go, make sure and bleed the system at the Master Cylinder first, then bleed at the calipers. If you have air in the Master Cylinder you won't be able to build pressure regardless of what you do at the calipers....

Do you have a Power Commander? Mine ran like like crap after I installed my Jardine. I had it custom mapped - made a world of difference...

Last edited by zx11pilot; 05-09-2007 at 4:52 AM.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-12-2007, 3:38 PM Thread Starter

so I got the exhaust hooked up I just enden up disconnecting the valve cables. Runs with a lot more mid-range/topend power. Its got about a half sec studder from a standstill to wide open but then it rips. I think a power commander should solve that. But I ended up having to use a hand pressure bleeder..never thought about the master cylinder, wheres that, is it right behind the lever?
post #15 of 18 Old 05-12-2007, 4:09 PM

Again, just my two cents..

Remove the caliper pistons one at a time and clean them so they are spotless, clean the seals in the caliper also or replace them with new ones. However do NOT spray brake cleaner on the seals unless your brake cleaner is safe for rubber seals. Blow compressed air through the brake lines and calipers ( do not do this with all the pistons in place or they may pop out onto the ground and damage them!) Reassemble the seals, pistons into the caliper. Make sure you have all good seals with no tears or nicks in them to possibly cause leaks. There are also two little seals on each caliper about 1/2 diameter with a small hole in the center of them. Those you really should replace with new ones.

Reassemble everything to the bike then bleed the brakes.

I use a handheld "MityVac" pump which works very well. Also remove your bleeder screws and clean the threads, apply teflon sealing tape to the threads, being careful not to obstruct the hole in the bleeder screw. These things are a p.i.t.a. If you don't put new sealing tape on them you probably won't get all the air out of the system. ZX11pilot has a good point, bleed the master cylinder first. You can buy a bleeder banjo bolt from an aftermarket supply company if you want. I myself would like to know ( for personal use ) how to bleed a master cylinder? I did not do this one my bike, but somehow i got all the air out anyhow.

Best wishes

Just a seperate nothing to do with, note: I don't see why folks who do mainly street riding go out and spend big bucks on larger petal rotors or aftermarket calipers for the 900rr. I'd almost be sure this applies to the 929/954/and 1000RR as well. I installed stainless steel brake lines and the brakes are so firm i have to throw my weight backwards to keep the bike from flipping over itself. I have stock brakes w/ EBC HH sintered pads and the ss lines, that's all.

Last edited by Fastrr; 05-12-2007 at 4:18 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page