Valve adjustment -Do it yourself ,or pay ? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 Old 05-12-2007, 3:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Valve adjustment -Do it yourself ,or pay ?

The shop to have it done.As far as mechanical experience goes,i have completely broken down bikes before to the frame ,removed engine ,split the case,taken tranny out,pistons etc, etc,....Now this was on a much older bike,CB750 .Is it worth the aggravation and $$ to do it yourself on these newer bikes ,my bikes just about ready to roll onto thec 37,000 mile mark on the odometer,and i'm thinking of doing the plugs along with my oil change,and possibly check/adjust valve clearance.One of the guys i ride with brought his zx10 into adjust the valves,and he said it ran worse afterwards.Hate to have the shop have my bike (and $$ ) . Who here does their own valve adjustments,and how long does it take to do on the 929.I'm assuming i'll just need to get a shim kit and a feeler gauge right ? Been a while, i can do it, just a question is how much of a pain in the ass is it on this bike ,and i'd also like to try and save the $$ by doing it myself .....Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 05-12-2007, 3:47 PM

Re: Valve adjustment -Do it yourself ,or pay ?

You've got engine experience it sounds like, and a CB750 is still a large 4 cylinder engine so I don't see why not.

I've heard over the past couple years there are some incapable techs out there. I'm not saying it's the majority of them or anything, but I think i'd want some references of people that have used that tech in the past.

I have to do my valves also, it seems like a straight forward job so long as I follow the Honda manual.

Buddy of mine just did a valve adjustment to a 954RR. He removed the cam to replace one of the shims. I'm not completely sure if there is a special tool that you can leave the cams in while doing the job or not. Seems easy enough to just pull the cam/s out if shim adjustment is needed.

I have even seen aftermarket shim kits for these bikes, but for the life of me i can't find them online. I suppose if you know the size of shim you need you can just go to Honda and buy it. Probably cheaper that way.
post #3 of 65 Old 05-12-2007, 4:01 PM Thread Starter

yeah, i have the sevice manual also,wondering how much time i'm looking at to check all the valves on this beast (2 hours) ?......who knows the last time the valves were checked/adjusted,the bikes got almost 37k on it, could be since the 16k mile maintenance interval.So it may be time to shoe horn the bike into my living room at home ,and work on it in the cool air conditioning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 Old 05-12-2007, 4:04 PM

Its a fun learning experience. You'll learn a lot about your engine while doing it. Make sure you have a GOOD torque wrench and follow the service manual.

Too many chances for mistakes adjusting the valves. ESPECIALLY by dealer mechanics! When they make a mistake, they make more money. What can happen if you don't do it? Consider the price of a new head is about $500. If the valves are out of adjustment, they will start wearing into the head and one will eventually start to burn and lose its seal, causing backfiring under load. You're looking at maybe 200,000 miles or a few years of 24/7 nonstop operation.

You leave the cam in to check the clearance. The cam has to be taken out to even get to the shims. The last time I checked, dealers wanted $10.45 for EACH shim. I made a few hundred out of bolt stock with a lathe and surface grinder. In 12 hours, I made $2,000 worth of shims.
post #5 of 65 Old 05-12-2007, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattaway View Post
Its a fun learning experience. You'll learn a lot about your engine while doing it. Make sure you have a GOOD torque wrench and follow the service manual.

Too many chances for mistakes adjusting the valves. ESPECIALLY by dealer mechanics! When they make a mistake, they make more money. What can happen if you don't do it? Consider the price of a new head is about $500. If the valves are out of adjustment, they will start wearing into the head and one will eventually start to burn and lose its seal, causing backfiring under load. You're looking at maybe 200,000 miles or a few years of 24/7 nonstop operation.

You leave the cam in to check the clearance. The cam has to be taken out to even get to the shims. The last time I checked, dealers wanted $10.45 for EACH shim. I made a few hundred out of bolt stock with a lathe and surface grinder. In 12 hours, I made $2,000 worth of shims.
How do your shims hold up over the long haul?
post #6 of 65 Old 05-12-2007, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrr View Post
How do your shims hold up over the long haul?
Checked them 40,000 miles later. The only way I can tell mine from stock is that mine don't have the number stamped on them. I made mine from grade-8 bolt stock. They seem to have the same hardness as stock. I'm now on 60,000 miles...
post #7 of 65 Old 05-12-2007, 7:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

bet you'll find if you check them that they wont need doing if its like my 918, at 40,000 miles the valve clearences were still within tollerence. Will try my 929 soon - 16,000 miles is it for the first check??
post #8 of 65 Old 05-12-2007, 7:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

you only need the manual and feeler gauges to check. if they are out of gap then you have to remove the cams, get the old shim and see what the thickness is and then get the right size shim to get the gap right. with 16 you might be able to swap some and only buy a couple. I've done all this so many times on my Yams but in 9 yrs of 'Blades I've not needed to do it again!! ("I love my Honda" Aaron Slight,Castrol Honda, WSB)
post #9 of 65 Old 05-12-2007, 7:52 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good,now how much labor time am i looking at on just the actual motor work, not counting fairing/tank removals etc... ? dattaway, sounds like you got enough extra shims to donate to some of us board members !
post #10 of 65 Old 05-13-2007, 12:04 AM

yeah Dattaway don't be stingy
post #11 of 65 Old 05-13-2007, 12:51 AM

Can I get in line too?
post #12 of 65 Old 05-13-2007, 2:57 PM

It can take a few hours or a weekend project just for the check, depending how fast and organized you are with tools. Changing shims is at least a whole day affair.
post #13 of 65 Old 05-13-2007, 3:39 PM

Reputation Power: 14

do not know about your dealerships in fl but here in tx we have to order shims they do not stock any. and there is no way to do the jod in one weekend it will take two you will have to check clearance and pull out the ones that are out of tolerance measure then order new shims which will take a week to come in and then put them in the following weekend. It would be nice if sombody made a kit that way you would be prepared to put the bike together that same weekend. My mind works better at rembering were that bolt came from, when i take it apart and put it back together that same weekend.
post #14 of 65 Old 05-13-2007, 6:18 PM

If you are mechanically inclined and can follow directions out of the manual it's not a bad job. It does take a while since you have to rotate the engine check each valve with different gauges and right down your readings but it's not a big deal. It is not the most fun I have had so I can see if someone else was doing it for me they might let a shim go if it is "close enough". I always do all the work on my bikes so the only person to blame is me. And when it's all done you are more proud of what you've completed and have confidence that the job is done correctly and your bike will perform. If you have the tools and the time do it yourself unless you don't mind paying someone who might do it right.
post #15 of 65 Old 05-13-2007, 6:40 PM

Im a lazy bastard who hates working on his own machine... no really if it ant broke, dont fix it, lol.

However i needed a dyno jet kit and a set up, and my local tuner did the dyno jet and set up and checked adjusted my valve clearences while the bike was on the dyno and in pieces. All in all i saved my self about £300 quid while having both done at the same time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page