battery, stator or regulator? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-12-2007, 7:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

battery, stator or regulator?

I replaced my battery and stator about 2 years ago, and then had my stator wires burn up at the connector so i got rid of the connector and soldered the wires together. Now about a year after that my bike went from charging at a steady 15v down to 14v now 2 weeks later its only charging at 12v. anyone have any ideas what i need to replace?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-12-2007, 7:59 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: battery, stator or regulator?

sounds like maybe your regulator/rectifier was maybe the original culprit, would make sense why you tosted another Stator.Did you check your output from the stator first,before buying the new components ?If your stator was garbage,a simple check at the yellow wires exiting the case would have told you...have your reg/rect checked out,also check the connection where you did the original soldering
post #3 of 10 Old 05-12-2007, 11:47 PM

I had a voltage drop that ended up being the voltage regulator/rectifier.

How did you check the voltage? Check it at the battery +/- terminals using a volt meter. Do this test with the high beam headlight on. Rev the engine up to 5,000rpm and you should ( if all is well ) get 15.5 Volts. ( Honda spec/test method )

You're problem may be due to corrosion at a connector or where you soldered the wires together. Also consider with a missing connector water can easily get in there and cause a short circuit.

To test the stator as per Honda specs:
Remove the three prong white connector. Check for continuity between each yellow wire and ground. there should be no continuity, if so replace the stator. Now check the resistance between all three yellow terminals coming out of the stator. Honda spec is 0.1 - 1.0 Ohms. If it is much out of this spec replace the stator.

To check the regulator/rectifier:
Unlplug the connector and check for tight fitment, not loose. Check for any signs of corrosion. I use battery terminal cleaner to remove corrosion, but let it all dry before plugging back together. Also dielectric grease comes in handy to prevent corrosion.
On the WIRE HARNESS SIDE check voltage between the red/wht & ground wire ( green ), battery voltage should be present. Also on the wire harness side check resistance ( ohms ) between each yellow and yellow, should be 0.1 - 1.0 ohms. Check resistance between green wire and ground, there should be continuity.

Check your ground wires and make sure they are not corroded. Check the R/R to make sure it is good and tight against the subframe and not loose.

Info is all from the manual.

Last edited by Fastrr; 05-12-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-13-2007, 4:59 PM Thread Starter

hey thank you a ton for the reply i'm going to print this out and start checking it right now.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-14-2007, 7:19 PM Thread Starter

it was the stator. 3 of the wings are burned to ****.. its my 2nd bad stator in 2 years wtf?!?!
post #6 of 10 Old 05-14-2007, 8:04 PM

Reputation Power: 15

did you buy a reman?
post #7 of 10 Old 05-14-2007, 8:45 PM Thread Starter

reman? i ended up going with this one for lucky number 3.. has a 1 year warrenty, and looks to be heavy duty? Motorcycle Electrical Parts (ElectroSport Industries)
post #8 of 10 Old 05-14-2007, 9:04 PM

Quinc, did you test the voltage regulator/rectifier? It may need to be replaced also. Good to test it to be sure. New voltage rectifiers are expensive from Honda, many times you can find used ones on ebay for under $50. If it needs replacing.

Sorry for your troubles, i know it sucks having to buy new parts and do work on these things when you were not planning on it.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-14-2007, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

yeah i tested everything and it was all good. even tested the battery with 3 diffrent testers. I was really hoping it was the battery.. lol yeah the worse part is i could have bought something pretty for it instead of a damn stator..
post #10 of 10 Old 05-15-2007, 5:09 PM

I have a voltage reg for the 929 if you need one. Also 15.5 volts as stated in the honda manual seems very high. You will probably only see 14.5 to 14.8 @ 5000rpm which is plenty.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page