Clutch fluid went black at 200mi?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-13-2007, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Clutch fluid went black at 200mi??

Hello all, I'm new to the site, discovered it while googling a problem with my first honda..

I got this '07 1000RR repsol about 5 weeks ago, watched them (like a hawk) uncrate and prep the thing. Put about 100 miles on over the last few weeks, and went for a 120 mile ride today. When I went to put her up, I noticed the clutch reservoir was way above the max mark, and the fluid was really dark.

Thinking back over the ride, I did hear a loud pop at one point, thought I'd hit a branch and taken out my fairing. I did stop to check the bike, but didn't look at the cylinder that I recall.

Since mile 1, I've had a bit of a flaky shift, if I stop at a light in 2nd gear, I cant shift to 1st, it just doesnt go anywhere when I kick the shifter down -- I have to let the clutch out a bit till the bike starts pulling, and then pull it back in to drop to 1st.

I've posted a bunch of pics.. I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow, but they won't have any space for me for a few weeks.. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be? I checked the seals in the reservoir, they seem ok.

Bad bearing? Oil leaking in? Any help would be appreciated..

I expect this from my ducati's, I'm shocked that the honda is having a problem at 200 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
ClutchFluid2 001.jpg‎   ClutchFluid2 003.jpg‎   ClutchFluid 001.jpg‎   ClutchFluid 003.jpg‎  

ClutchFluid 002.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-13-2007, 10:42 PM

Re: Clutch fluid went black at 200mi??

I have had a few CBRs and the fluid always has gone black on me in a few hundred miles. On my 2004 1000 RR I have 24000 miles and no clutch failure. I do change the fluid a recommended.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-13-2007, 10:42 PM

Perfectly normal. Mine got better after I swapped out the clutch line with a Galfer Stainless Steel one. It still gets dark after a few thousand miles - no where near as quick as with the stock line though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-13-2007, 11:00 PM

My bike is difficult to shift into 1st also if i stop in 2nd or 3rd gear, but that's because we're not supposed to stop in 2nd or 3rd gear. If you force it down into the next lower gears you risk bending a shift fork inside the transmission... don't force it down. Ride it feathering the clutch and then gently get it back into the right gear. Wrong gear stops happen to everyone at some time or other
post #5 of 10 Old 05-13-2007, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, good to hear, but what's with the rise in level? It was right below the max line last time I checked, and is well above now (the rubber stopper basically pushes it to the top of the reservoir..

Also, do I ignore the blackness till my 300 mile break-in service or do I swap it out now?

Thanks again
post #6 of 10 Old 05-13-2007, 11:06 PM

If you're having problems shifting I'd swap it out and bleed the system to see if it helps. I swap out the fluid about once every month or two depending upon how much I ride (usually around 2,000 miles a month)

It's pretty simple and only takes about 10 min. Just make sure the fluid level never gets low or you'll just end up sucking air in to the system.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-15-2007, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Update: Perfectly normal is the word from the dealer.. I looked at them kind of funny when they said that, thinking they were just brushing me off, so the guy drags me over to the showroom.. Here's a bike we just got, see the clear fluid? Heres two that have been on the floor for two weeks, see the color? Looks just like yours.

So yeah, no biggie apparently. And props to criswell honda, seems like a fantastic shop, and the guys are exceedingly nice.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-15-2007, 11:38 AM

The oring in the clutch cylinder travels far more than the brake cylinder. That's where the black is coming from. Changing the fluid is not going to help or hurt. It may look nasty, but it may have more life than a comparable steel cable.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-19-2007, 4:30 PM

I had the exact same issue with my new 06'. After 250 miles the fluid was black. I flushed it out and ran a much higher heat fluid (motul 600) and 500 miles later it is somewhat darker then when I installed it but has held up MUCH better.

I question if the blackness isnt actually heat related but the detergent properties of the dot 4 fluid eating away the liner of the factory hose. Does anyone know if it's a rubber inner liner or teflon with the factory set up? Galfer are teflon generally so that would explain why it would go away if that's the cause.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-19-2007, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
but the detergent properties of the dot 4 fluid eating away the liner of the factory hose. Does anyone know if it's a rubber inner liner or teflon with the factory set up? Galfer are teflon generally so that would explain why it would go away if that's the cause.
No detergents. Its not an oil. Its a mixture of glycols. If DOT4 was eating the clutch line, you can be assured its eating away the brake line too. But it doesn't.

Take apart the clutch cylinder sometime. Now take apart the brake master cylinder. Notice one travels MUCH farther than the other? Notice some wear in the oring?

hint...hint...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page