Installing Ohlins rear and front - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-15-2007, 6:36 PM Thread Starter
D.S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

Installing Ohlins rear and front

I'm not a trackday rat but I've always been curious about what a properly setup hightech suspension could do to my 929 on track and street. So I got an ohlins 46PRXLS rear shock off ebay and now looking into ohlins fork springs and oil. I think I could handle swaping the rear but the front is a bit intimidating. How are the instructions on a ohlins spring set, easy to follow? Would you recommend having a professional do it all or is this something managable without to much hassle and an arsenal of tools you only use once.

The idea of leaving the (old) bike and picking her up a saturday morning with new ohlins rear&front, new tires and full tank of gas..would be very... nice But probably too expensive. Anyone want to take a guess how many working hours a professional will charge me for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-16-2007, 4:34 PM Thread Starter
D.S

Re: Installing Ohlins rear and front

Well, stupid question I guess. The Ohlins rep at the shop insisted to set it up for me, not going to argue with him. He could give me settings for track and street, may be worth the cost. Will try and soak up as much suspension intel as I can
post #3 of 6 Old 05-16-2007, 6:52 PM

Reputation Power: 16

If you do get stuck and decide to do it yourself its not too hard. I did the springs and oil on my 954 following the instructions in the Haynes manual without too much of an issue - the only problem I had was cracking off the lock nut attached to the damper rod...from memory there isn't too much room there and I remember damaging (ever so slightly) on of the surfaces as a spanner slipped...the lasting effect of which has meant one of my pre-load adjusters has a bit of movement - no biggie as I have had to tighten the preload right down anyway to get the right sag settings (couldn't get the 1.05Kg springs I wanted and had to drop in 0.95s instead).

Otherwise its probably some of the best money I've spent on the bike - and relatively cheap too...probably less than $150 Aus.

Cheers, Spanky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-17-2007, 8:56 AM Thread Starter
D.S

I was thinking it can't be easy compressing those springs into the forks without some kind of custom tool(s). Anyway, this guy I talked to at the shop used to work at Ohlins and can't wait to get his hands on my bike.. I think he misses his old job He even asked me to bring in the rear shock so he can check it for me, free of charge. So I'm going to let him have his fun, hopefully it won't cost me too much.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-17-2007, 6:45 PM

Reputation Power: 16

...that's the cool thing with cartridge forks - you don't have to compress the front springs anymore, not like in the old days where we used to put spacers in and then need three hands to shove everything into place while trying to tighten the fork nut !!

Anyway, sounds like you're onto a good thing there...you never know, maybe a 6-pack will get the work done for you instead of a hefty bill !!

Last edited by Spanky; 05-17-2007 at 6:47 PM. Reason: additional info
post #6 of 6 Old 05-18-2007, 2:52 PM Thread Starter
D.S

Cool, I'm going to take day off and be there while he does his stuff on the bike and set everything up. So next time I'll know how to do it myself. It's going to be a fun day, besides a reworked suspension I'll have new spark plugs and steering bearing (old busted on a bad landing) so it will probably feel like a new bike. A 6-pack will be changing hands for sure

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page