Prepaid Maintenance???? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-16-2007, 5:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Prepaid Maintenance????

I am new to the board and to sport bikes in general.

I am looking at buying a brand new 2006 CBR1000 this week. I have what I think is an excellent price on the bike. However, the dealer is offering extended warranties and prepaid maintenance. I have almost a year to make a decision on the extended warranty but I need to make a decision on the maintenance before I buy this Friday.

What are the pros and cons? What should it cover? What should it cost? How much should it save me?

Thanks in advance for all your help and input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-16-2007, 5:29 PM

Re: Prepaid Maintenance????

I thought the extended service plan was a great idea. Until the dealer worked on my bike the first time. I had a horror story on the highway leaving that place I will never forget. The encounter with the dealer after that left me speechless. I learned to do all service on my bike after that. I passed up on all those free oil changes.

If you must have it worked on somewhere, I would strongly reaching out to your local riding/racing community and finding someone who everyone trusts.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-16-2007, 5:32 PM

Reputation Power: 14

I purchased the extended warranty for 300.00, as for service, this isn't my first bike so I do it all. I got the 4 year warranty because I know I can blow it up within 5 years lol...

DOH!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-16-2007, 8:04 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

How mechanically inclined are you? Basic maintenance (oil and oil filter change, fluid changes, etc. ) are easy to do, especially if you have the factory service manual. I wouldn't waste my money on a prepaid maintenance contract. The extended warranty can pay for itself if something major happens..problem is proving to the dealer that you didn't cause the failure through abuse, neglect, or by accident.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #5 of 17 Old 05-17-2007, 12:05 AM

with all the info available from this forum and the rest of the net you can learn how to do most of the work on you bike pretty quickly as long as you have or can get tools. I personally will do everything possible to keep my vehicles out of a dealerships shop and will never trust them to do anything but sell me a vehicle and maybe some parts. Hell it hard enough to get the right parts when the kid behind the counter only know motorcross.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-17-2007, 1:14 PM Thread Starter

I am not naturally mechanically inclined, but I am not stupid. I am usually able to follow instructions (especially if they use small words and pictures). It is really a matter of time management. I would rather use my limited free time riding then wrenching. However, my dealership is under new ownership and has no real track record for customer satisfaction. Given the above, it would seem the general consenus is prepaid maintenance - NO, extended warranty - MAYBE.

I am going in to the dealer in about an hour to try and get the final deal worked out and all the paperwork done. I hope to pick the bike up Friday afternoon.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-17-2007, 5:03 PM

It's up to you on how you feel about the dealer but later down the line if your bike is broken you won't be doing much riding. And what you can do in your garage might take a few hours of work or a few days of sitting at the dealership waiting to get worked on. You shouldn't have to do any maint. at all except oil changes and plugs the first few years. I lied earlier though I do receive excellent service on my Harley so I take that to the dealer. It gives me one less thing to work on. But I skipped the extended warranty and perpaid stuff.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-17-2007, 5:21 PM

get the service manual do it all yourself. I have a shop that I trust through and through but I still try to do all my stuff
post #9 of 17 Old 05-17-2007, 10:52 PM

Screw warranties and "extended maintenace" offers. Bunch of B.S. that the dealer makes extra cash off of. And you'll be paying interest $ on that crap too. Normal warranty is good. I think it's like 1 year. RedRider is right no the button with "proving to the dealer you did not cause the damage". Dealers many times won't pay for warranty work. It pays to know how to wrench on your own stuff.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-18-2007, 6:22 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via MSN to adam001

my 2 cents go the warranty pre paid Maintenance don't worry about that crap do it yourself i work at toyota and the warranty is good i see all sorts of crazy **** you never know whats going to happen
post #11 of 17 Old 05-18-2007, 6:30 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via MSN to adam001

once i got lazy and took my baby to a bike shop 2 days later the oil light came on and a heap of smoke came out for her i striped it down and found he folded over the tappit cover gasket not happy!! to cut a long story short he fixed it for nothing
i'll nerver take it back to a bike shop again
post #12 of 17 Old 05-18-2007, 2:31 PM

Sorry for the rant; as you can tell i don't believe in paying for what you can do yourself

The only issue you will probably ever run into with a 06 or 07 1000RR is a bad stator.. and we can help you change that easy. It's a simple fix, besides the dealer will just replace it with an equally as faulty oem designed part. Just speaking about the stator.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-21-2007, 6:39 PM

One Kick a** thing about honda is that they don't void the warranty if you do the work yourself. My owners manual on my 06 sais if you have the tech data and are qualified (no definition of qualified provided) the warranty is still good.

Most other manufacturers require at least one or two inspections from "approved" mechs. In my experience, those guys are jack a**es. I'm a helicopter mechanic and when I bought my 05 zx10 I bought prepaid maintenance because I was very busy with school and work. I took it in once and realized that the morons working on my machine couldn't find their a**es with both hands. Never again.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-21-2007, 9:36 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

All manufacturers are bound by the Magnusson-Moss Act that states Tie-In Sales are expressly prohibited...meaning you don't have to service performed by the seller to validate the warranty.

A Businessperson's Guide to Federal Warranty Law

You'd be amazed the number of dumbass claims some dealers make...

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #15 of 17 Old 05-21-2007, 10:09 PM

I wouldn't take either. If you're going to have a bike you really need to get familiar with basic upkeep and maintenace procedures or you're gonna get raped by the dealer.

Not only do dealers charge an arm and a leg to work on your machines but they often do very poor work as you can see by some of the responses. The CBR1000RR is a very maintenance friendly machine and with some basic mechanical abiltiy and common sense you can do perform most of the basic maintenance yourself.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page