1993 Wheel swap - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-19-2007, 7:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

1993 Wheel swap

I am thinking I would like to swap my 16 inch front wheel for a 17 inch one. Anyone done this know what wheel i need to look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-19-2007, 8:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Re: 1993 Wheel swap

Hi mate,

You've got a 93 with the mechanical speedo. While not difficult at all, this is still not a simple (or cheap) job for you. If you want to use the 17" F3 wheel, then you will need to convert your gauges to (at least) the 95-97 digital signal ones. The 1996-1998 CBR600 F3 wheel is a direct bolt up.

I'm going to give you a strong word of caution here. DO NOT buy a used wheel off Ebay or a forum. I thought I'd save some bucks by doing this and although promised a straight wheel (the sellers always do!), I received a wheel with a dent. And, it could just have easily been a straight wheel that HAD been dented and repaired. I know of another guy who didn't take my advice and bought a used 2001 RC51 front wheel. Upon close inspection, it had microfine stress cracks in the hub! If he didn't have to change out the bearings to do his CBR954 front end swap, he would never had known until it was too late!

Point is, a used wheel will cost you between $170-250 and it will likely be scratched/marked to shyte and will need new bearings. It will also be up to 12 years old too! For $420-440 you can get a brand new wheel already fitted with virgin bearings and seals, plus it will be visually perfect and never had any kind of abuse (or repair) in it's former life. You can definitely trust that wheel.

I know I sound like I am preaching, but I feel very strongly about this. Think of all the extreme work the front wheel has to do. You're putting a wheel from a lighter, slower bike onto a faster, heavier and more wheelie prone machine. Buy a used wheel and you are taking a BIIIIG gamble. You never know the past life/lives it has had. Was it used on a race bike, was it on a stunt bike, was it from a wrecked bike, stolen/recovered bike, did the previous owners always do wheelies, was the wheel repaired once, or several times ...or maybe even a combination of all of these!!!???? God I hope not, but the truth is, you just don't know...and you can't trust the sellers on Ebay. They flat out lie. I'm not prepared to gamble my valuable life, or become a quadriplegic because I was a cheap ass who wanted to save $100-150!

To me, the net price difference (between new and old) once I included re-powdercoating the used wheel and fitting new bearings/seals was about $100-130. That's not a lot to pay to get a brand new wheel....plus you don't have to futz around with repowdercoating or getting the bearings changed.

Too many things are unknown when you jump on a bike, don't add one more unknown yet important variable to the mix!! Just my $0.02....you take it for what it's worth.... If you wanna be cheap and take a gamble, please do buy the used wheel....

And pray that nothing bad ever comes your way because of your decision.

With that out being said, this will help you:

17" Rim Conversion - RRZone Forums

If you buy a new wheel, the cheapest place is Service Honda Home of the CR500AF 500AF 500AFX Junior-X - Honda Motorcycle Parts Get the part number using the Ron Ayers microfiche at Ron Ayers Motorsports - Motorcycle, ATV, Jet Ski and Generators Parts and Accessories

Cheers,
Sime

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page