A Few Little Projects & Questions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-24-2007, 2:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via AIM to 2k929
A Few Little Projects & Questions

Now that the 929 project is pretty much back together. I have had a few things on the list that were extras that weren't complete. Plus i have a few things i am curious about.

I just bought an undertail off eBay that came in, I dropped it off at the body shop, but I searched and found some pretty generic instructions on what to cut to install. Does anyone have any better detailed pictures to help?

I have been needing a new rear tire for some time now. The front is worn quite a bit too, so I am in the market for new tires. A friend of mine can get Pilot Powers for 250 and he will install them for that price if i take the wheels off for him. My question about this is my bike has a 190/50 on the rear right now. Am i going to notice a big difference since he already has a 180/50 or 55 at his house. That way i wouldn't have to wait.

Last thing is about my brakes. I sometimes notice a winding noise when i use the front brakes. Is this because my pads are worn or is this normal. It isn't very loud but i can hear it. Also has anyone ever felt in the bars a shift or something like that when they slow down? Sometimes when i stop right before i come to a complete stop it will rock forward it feels like. Just curious.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-24-2007, 3:59 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: A Few Little Projects & Questions

I'm no pro, but as for your brakes, the rotor may be warped or damaged. Just a guess.

As for the tire size issue, I would wait for the right size. Installing tires of different sizes than is specified for your wheel width changes the shape/geometry of the tire, thus affecting its performance. How much, you ask? Will your riding style be adversely affected? I don't know, I've personally never done that, but there are articles written about it. I'd do the search for you but I'm a little lazy right now.
Try searching the forum, there should be a sticky thread lying around somewhere (when in doubt, google).

Hope that helps.

-C
post #3 of 6 Old 05-24-2007, 8:26 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Go here to see about the tire sizing issue. I just went through this. I've been running my 01 929 with the 180/55 and have had no adverse affects.
929 with a 180 55 17
929RR Tire Setup

As far as your front end rocking when you come to a complete stop, it sounds like your headset is loose. I know this feeling from my (bi)cycling experience.

Good luck!

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-24-2007, 8:40 AM

I just installed a 180 on the back of mine from the 190 that was there before. You really won't notice much of a difference. It does tend to want to go in to the corner quicker, but really, you won't notice much if anything after riding it for a couple hundred miles. I'd say go for the 180.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-24-2007, 12:41 PM

I'de jump on the tire deal for $250. My bike is hanging from the ceiling right now waiting for it's new Pilot Powers. I went with the 180 also since nowbody had anything bad to say about it. When you take the front wheel off inspect your pads and rotors the best you can. And maybe the previous owner did a ton of stoppies to loosen up the steering stem or thrash the bearings.

Last edited by 1sterion; 05-24-2007 at 2:28 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-24-2007, 2:25 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via AIM to 2k929

I would say something needs to be tightened up. That was my guess too. I think i am going to read these articles and then decide which tire. We ride curves out in my area...but they aren't anything extreme...i would say i try to do about 50/50 of riding in town where it is flat and the other half riding roads in the county. I will check the brakes and see if i can find something loose.

Can anyone help with the undertail part?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page