cbr 900rr 98 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-02-2007, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

cbr 900rr 98

Hello everybody

I am a complete noob and I would like to apologize in advance if any question that I ask was already answered in a previous post.

1) I paid 3200 for my 98 cbr 900 with 14000 miles on it but I had to get new tire {Dunlop qualifiers} 240 chain {D.I.D. 525VM2 X'ring } with sprocket 180 plus get the work done on it so it come to about 4000 on the road.

2) What is the purpose of an extended swing arm besides making your bike look sick.

3) What is the routine maintenance that I should be expecting in the near future? Valve or what ever I have no idea.

4) I want to make my mike shiny what tools do I need and what are the steps?

5) Do u guys know the best sites for getting parts and riding gear I am having a little trouble thx? Here are the best site's I found for tires chain and sprockets
And they are both state side with free shipping if u have found better plzzz let me know http://www.sprocketcenter.com/c/16584/1/honda.html

http://ridedirect.com/

I will say that I love this bike!!!! I owned a gsxr 600 01 before this and this bike would eat my gsxr ALIVE!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-02-2007, 1:31 PM

Re: cbr 900rr 98

extended swing arms are for drag racing to keep the nose down. I have been using Mothers metal polish on the aluminum and it seems to work well. Autosol is also a high quality metal polish. Just use good quality car washing liquid on the plastic and keep it waxed. Don't let the soap dry on the aluminum, it makes spots. There is a valve adjustment you can do at 16,000.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-02-2007, 2:20 PM

Look up metal polishing on Google. I may do that to the frame and swingarm on my bike, i am not sure yet as i will be selling it soon anyhow. If you are not drag racing your bike I would suggest to buy a stock swingarm and install it or have it installed for you.
As for aluminum polish "English Custom Polish" is the best stuff out there, it will not let the metal get dull 1, 2, or 4 months after you polish with it. With Mothers and others polish you will have to repolish every two weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-02-2007, 8:48 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Most importantly.....welcome!!!

The extended swingarm 'look' is a matter of opinion. Personally, I hate the look. You'd never catch me dead on a bike with an extended swingarm. I'd rather ride a Hardly Davidson. Yech!

What's more, if you are not going to drag race or simply cruise in a straight line, the extended swingarm is entirely detrimental to any type of handling. Do not attempt to take any corners with attitude on the extended swingarm...or you will probably be looking for a new bike from your hospital bed!

As to polishing/maintaining the plastic fairings, I really like Zaino. I used to be a professional detailer many years ago and Zaino is hands down, the best product I have ever found. The gloss is awesome! www.zainobros.com If you want something a little cheaper, then try Autoglym or Zymol. The best product to keep the windshield (and your helmet visor) clean is 'Plexus'. It's used in the aviation industry and the military to maintain aircraft windshields and jet fighter canopies. Only about $8 a can.

Re polishing the frame, if you are not prepared to spend LOTS of time on cleaning, maintaining and polishing the frame and swingarm, DON'T DO IT!!! I did it to my bike and was the worst thing I ever did to it. Firstly, to do the job right is a biatch and takes about 3 full days to do (you have to completely sand off the clear anodizing on the frame first)! Maintaining it is even worse. You live in MD....a rainy state that uses salt in the road in winter. This is going to kill your finish.

This English Custom Polish that Fastrr recommends sounds like the ticket if you really want to polish the frame.

Sprocket Center is a good outlet. If you want riding gear cheap, look at Chaparral Motorsports - Motorcycle Apparel, Parts & Accessories. If you need stock parts, get the part number using the microfiche at Ron Ayers Motorsports - Motorcycle, ATV, Jet Ski and Generators Parts and Accessories and then buy the parts shopping for price (compare the two) at both Service Honda Home of the CR500AF 500AF 500AFX Junior-X - Honda Motorcycle Parts and ZANOTTI MOTOR CO. INC, Butler, PA 16001 - Motorcycle, ATV, Trikes, Golf Cars

Of....one important bit of advice. Apart from telling us you owner a Gixxer 6 prior to this bike, you haven't mentioned anything about your prior riding experience. If you haven't already done so, I'd strongly recommend taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) rider safety course. It will help you to stay alive on the bike. Learning tips and tricks from friends is not a good idea...unless your friend is Nicky Hayden!!

Good luck and ride safe. Feel free to post up as many questions as you think of.

Cheers,
Sime

Last edited by Sime; 06-02-2007 at 8:55 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-03-2007, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

thx for all the good info and ya im a ok rider but not great and i will be taking the rider safty course.

when u said the polish is a good idea did u mean its a good idea if i decide to make my fram shine like glass or did u mean its good for normal upkeep.thx
also how does your fram look today and after the fram is polished how often do u need to polish it to maintain the shine? and if u just sick of polishing it will it go back to the stock look
thx
post #6 of 9 Old 06-03-2007, 12:25 AM

Reputation Power: 13

post #7 of 9 Old 06-03-2007, 1:09 AM

About the frame polishing link/thread; he uses too much sandpaper. That is one way to do it, but it's the hard way.

Easy Off is a nice idea, but remember that stuff is toxic as all get out.

Also... mask everything off with plastic sheeting, it makes clean up so much easier, and protects parts of the bike you don't want gooook on.

With the English Custom Polish you only reapply the polish compound twice a year. Their website has some tutorial stuff on it as well.

Metal Polish & Restorer ( for doing the actuall buffing )
Showman's Ultra Fine Polish for aluminum and stainless steel
(after the buffing is done)

Last edited by Fastrr; 06-03-2007 at 1:24 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-03-2007, 1:25 AM

I think I'll do the frame on my bike, it's full of tiny scratches.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-03-2007, 3:44 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty987321 View Post

when u said the polish is a good idea did u mean its a good idea if i decide to make my fram shine like glass or did u mean its good for normal upkeep.thx
If the frame is still the standard 'dull' silver look, then no amount of polish will make it look shiny. The frame is coated with a clear anodizing that stops the aluminum from oxidising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty987321 View Post
also how does your fram look today and after the fram is polished how often do u need to polish it to maintain the shine? and if u just sick of polishing it will it go back to the stock look
thx
I did a really thorough job of sanding/polishing the frame and swingarm. Problem was, as soon as the bike got any water on it, I got water spots etching into the bare aluminum that needed to be polished to be removed.

I needed to polish it about every week...sooner if it got wet. I hated the upkeep, plus I decided my bike looked too 'pimpish' with the polished look. And if you just left it, it would never go back to the original look....the aluminum would just oxidise. Unfortunately, once you go polished, there is NO going back! You either commit to the upkeep, or you have to get the frame painted or powdercoated.

So, in my situation, I elected to have the frame and swingarm powdercoated in a black minitex. It's a very fine satin black texture that makes the frame look both modern, and new again, requires ZERO upkeep and is super durable.

As Fastrr mentioned, the English Polish sounds like a good idea if you really want the polished look with minimal upkeep. But after I decided to powdercoat the frame, even had I known about the polish, it wouldn't have motivated me to keep the frame polished.

Like I said, I'm not into bling. I have a standout, attention-seeking bike, that doesn't have one polished or chromed part on it. Actually, I lie....the triple clamp nut is chromed (from the factory!!). But it's horses for courses...you need to do what makes you happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrr
I think I'll do the frame on my bike, it's full of tiny scratches.
Fastrr......I thought you were selling your bike mate?

Cheers,
Sime

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page