Suspension Noob in need of Pro advice. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-05-2007, 3:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Suspension Noob in need of Pro advice.

I've had my 1000rr for over a year now and am need of some suspension setup tips..I have found several websites on suspension setup (sportrider inc) and need help. I have the repair manual...but not the owners manual I have two main questions...

1. How do you set your suspension to stock settings?

2. What is a turn?..180 degree or full 360 degree. (keep reading 3 turns out from hard...and dont know what it means..)

*not I weight 265lbs and usually have anorexic girls on back..lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-05-2007, 6:30 AM

Re: Suspension Noob in need of Pro advice.

1. Not sure what you're asking. Are you wanting the factory specs as shipped from the manufacturer?

2. 1 turn = 360 degrees. So for 3 turns out you turn the adjuster all the way till it stops then back it out 3 full turns (as an example). The same can be said for compression and rebound except they are measured in clicks, as in numbers of clicks out from full.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-06-2007, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info J...I didnt want to over loosen and mess up the valving..

Would you know any way to adjust the preload on the rear shock without the C-spaner wrench...I want to set it stiffer and dont have the factory toolkit, I heard some stuff that the 06's dont come with the factory toolkit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-06-2007, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

My plan is to set the suspension as follows.....

front preload 14 turns out
front rebound 2 turns out
front damping comp. 2 turns out

damping rear preload position 9 of 10
rear rebound damping 2 turns out
rear comp. damping 8 clicks out

Forks set flush with Tripple Tree..

Sport rider recomends........

CBR1000RR ('04) 6/04 14 turns out 2 turns out 2 turns out position 8 of 10 2.5 turns out 9 clicks out note:set fork tube height to 2mm showing above triple clamp

CBR1000RR ('05) 5/05 9 turns out from full stiff 2 turns out from full stiff 2 turns out from full stiff 4 from full soft 2.5 turns out from full stiff 8 clicks out from full stiff note:set fork tubes flush with triple clamp

CBR1000RR ('06) 6/06 7 turns out from full stiff 1.5 turns out from full stiff 2 turns out from full stiff position 5 from full soft 3.5 turns out from full stiff 20 clicks out from full stiff note:set fork tube height flush with triple clamp

Last edited by big al; 06-06-2007 at 12:21 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-06-2007, 1:04 AM

Thanks for posting those specs from Sportrider. I had always wondered what others have recommended as a change to factory settings.

I don't have a spanner either but there's gotta be another way to adjust the preload on the shock. I thought maybe a screwdriver or long punch could be used when struck with a mallet but I'd be afraid of buggering up the preload adjuster. I'm kind of a tool whore so I'll probably just buy one since the tool kit in my '06 only came with a screwdriver and helmet straps.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-07-2007, 6:11 AM Thread Starter

The compression and rebound settings are factory, but Sport Rider messed arround with the preload on the rear and front shocks....and raised the forks 2mm above the triple tree...

Do you know if the preload is easy to set on your 1000?...I was looking at the service manual and the stock settign is 7 turns from minimum ...but I dont know where minimum is...I dotn know if I should keep cranking it loose untill it stops or not..The knob on top of the forks looks Like it will spin off..
post #7 of 9 Old 06-07-2007, 10:52 AM

I haven't touched the suspension on my bike yet so I can't comment how easy the preload adjusters should turn, sorry. I have yet to attack any twisties so until I do I will leave the suspension alone.

But, if I remember correctly, the preload adjusters on my last bike (ZX-7) had definite stops for minimum and max preload. Don't turn them so much where you end up spinning off the fork caps though! As long as your top clamp is secure you should be ok but I felt like I had to warn you anyway.

Hopefully someone else with more experience than me can provide you a better answer.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-07-2007, 1:51 PM

If you want your suspension set up properly, you need to first dial in your sag. From there, you find the damping settings that fit your riding style, tires, weight, etc. Read this article: http://cbrtech.dyndns.org:8080/cbrtech/rider_sag.php
post #9 of 9 Old 06-07-2007, 4:49 PM Thread Starter

That article was cool, but It basicaly shows you how to measure your sag....and recomend buying springs...

Unless your a 180 lb rider, which the bike was designed for..lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page