Decal Replacement Tips - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-06-2007, 1:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Decal Replacement Tips

Want to replace the stock decals on the tail of my 02 CBR954. They have a couple of scratches in them. I've been told that this is a b*%tch to do myself, and would be better off bringing to an auto body shop. Any suggestions?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-06-2007, 1:58 PM

Re: Decal Replacement Tips

Do it yourself, take your time. All you are doing is putting on a sticker. I have a squeegee set that I got from walmart to put tint on windows. That helped me to make sure it was all pressing down as I laid out the stickers and avoided air bubbles. I thought it was pretty easy. Just take your time and make sure you are laying the sticker in the place you want it the first time
post #3 of 9 Old 06-06-2007, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrlvr07 View Post
Want to replace the stock decals on the tail of my 02 CBR954. They have a couple of scratches in them. I've been told that this is a b*%tch to do myself, and would be better off bringing to an auto body shop. Any suggestions?? Thanks
Once you've got rid of the old ones (or are you leaving them on? doesn't matter but better removed) spray PLENTY of water where you want to place them . Then simply stick them down move them about until they are exactly right and push any air bubles out with a sponge...............wipe with a dry cloth..........Sorted No worries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-06-2007, 3:59 PM

Just poor boiling water out of a kettle onto the decal, then peel it off. It wont melt or deform you plastics in any way.

Use selulose thiners or petrol to remove any glue residue.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-06-2007, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStarCBR View Post
Just poor boiling water out of a kettle onto the decal, then peel it off. It wont melt or deform you plastics in any way.

Use selulose thiners or petrol to remove any glue residue.
Note to self, never call this guy for help with my stickers....
post #6 of 9 Old 06-06-2007, 6:16 PM

Adding a few drops of dish detergent to the spray bottle of water really helps in decal positioning. Don't over-do it though.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-06-2007, 6:52 PM

Where are you getting your decals from? I know there is Ron Ayers, but is that the cheapest?
post #8 of 9 Old 06-06-2007, 7:42 PM

This is how i remove and replace decals.

Use a hairdryer to heat the decal for 30 seconds, peel the old decal off. Use WD-40 and a clean white rag to remove the glue residue. Wash the fairing with liquid dishwashing soap and water. Line up your decal where you want it and note the angle that you are holding it on because more than likely it will need to be placed on the fairing in a sort of slanted position.

Peel the backing from the sticky side of the decal off, but not all the way off, just the first few inches. Smooth the decal on by hand slowly and evenly. Try not to work any air bubbles into the decal. I use my thumb and forefinger to smooth on the decal working it so air doesn't get trapped underneath. Peel more backing away as you work across the length of the decal. Now once it's on there don't just peel off the top layer of paper. Use that paper to your advantage to rub your finger down kind of hard over the entire decal to make sure it is pressed down real good. Now peel that paper off. Wax your fairing and your good to go.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-07-2007, 1:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I don't have a kettle handy by my garage,so I guess the boiling water is out of the question!!!?!?!? I picked up one on ebay for $25. new and the other from Honda for $39.00.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page