Unbelievable ****! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 06-11-2007, 2:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Unbelievable ****!

Forum,

Check this **** out. A shop here in Orlando just tore my engine down to nuts/bolts and pieces only to determine nothing was wrong with the engine.

My service contract adjusted showed up and apparently found nothing to be wrong with the motor whatsoever.

Needless to say the shop is going to rebuild my motor and restore my bike to operation.

My question is:

Based on tearing the engine completely apart... besides gaskets and seals what else needs to be replaced other than oil, fluids, etc?

Do the piston rings need to be replaced?

I put it in the shop because a plug simply came loose and fell out from a backfire, and they tore my bike completely apart.

Holy Cow...

Needless to say my extended warranty adjuster said no way to that repair and or/work as it was not warranted...

Any help or assitance would be appreciated...

Hal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-11-2007, 2:10 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Re: Unbelievable ****!

screw that!!!! no way you need to rip it completely down for a plug!!!

DOH!!!!
post #3 of 30 Old 06-11-2007, 2:23 PM

Reputation Power: 15

they're tryin to screw you....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 06-11-2007, 2:25 PM

no......you are getting screwed!

DOH!!!!
post #5 of 30 Old 06-11-2007, 2:27 PM

Reputation Power: 15

yeah you are, I can't believe they ripped it down for a spark plug, that is ridiculous, better make sure they do a good job of putting it back together,
how many miles does it have
post #6 of 30 Old 06-11-2007, 2:29 PM

take it home and put it back together yourself.....don't pay thos jerk offs anything but an asswhooopin!

DOH!!!!
post #7 of 30 Old 06-11-2007, 3:18 PM Thread Starter

It had 20,000 ez miles... I had a backfire and lost 1 cylinder due to what I think was the spark plug popping loose. They said sorry and they will put it all back together and repair it.
post #8 of 30 Old 06-11-2007, 4:37 PM

Didn't they give you an estimate on "repairs"? Most places the law says they can't exceed a 10% overage without written permision, so hopefully you didn't do that. I'd be pitching a bitch at the owner for how his service crew could have done that to your bike and demanding an extended warranty (even if it is a dealership warranty) on anything that could go wrong because of them tearing it down. Good luck with it.
post #9 of 30 Old 06-12-2007, 2:17 AM

am i the only dumb bastard here wondering why you didn't just check the plug thread to see if it was still good, and then simply screw the plug back in ? It sounds like either you ,or the last person who changed the plugs,didn't tighten them enough at install,and it just worked itself out.Also that shop sounds like a bunch of idiots(or thiefs) are running it,ripping apart a motor because a plug came loose....that's messed up, don't bring your bike there again.
post #10 of 30 Old 06-12-2007, 3:23 PM

No, you aren't the only "dumb bastard here" there are lots of us

What you say is very smart though; makes good sense
post #11 of 30 Old 06-12-2007, 3:44 PM

Take every part back now and do it yourself. Then tell all your friends how this shop screwed u!!!
post #12 of 30 Old 06-12-2007, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade929 View Post
am i the only dumb bastard here wondering why you didn't just check the plug thread to see if it was still good, and then simply screw the plug back in ? It sounds like either you ,or the last person who changed the plugs,didn't tighten them enough at install,and it just worked itself out.Also that shop sounds like a bunch of idiots(or thiefs) are running it,ripping apart a motor because a plug came loose....that's messed up, don't bring your bike there again.

souds like he didn't check anything and took it to the shop

DOH!!!!
post #13 of 30 Old 06-12-2007, 8:39 PM

I believe 954's have that issue, blowing spark plugs out. It's not real common but it has happened to some 954's.

You don't want new rings. If I was doing this I would reassemble the entire engine with the "old" parts and just use new seals/gaskets. Although i would not have torn an engine down because a spark plug came loose.

If the spark plug threads were pulled out of the head by compression forces, then you will need to have the spark plug thead repaired with an insert... do not Helicoil it! There are inserts made just for this but it requires special tools and removal of the engine cylinder head. That is all.

If the shop doesn't put it back together or fix the threads, take the head to a powersports shop and they should be able to install a spark plug thread insert.

This sounds like a bad case of bad tech work/guessing. I'd make the shop pay to put it back together correctly.

Also since the engine is having to be reassembled TELL them to check and adjust ALL the valves. The 954RR has one valve in particular that is always too tight.. it needs to be shimmed to bring it into good tolerance.

Last edited by Fastrr; 06-12-2007 at 8:46 PM.
post #14 of 30 Old 06-12-2007, 9:16 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the valuable information... I appreciate it.

Hal E. Halvorson in Orlando
post #15 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrr View Post
I believe 954's have that issue, blowing spark plugs out. It's not real common but it has happened to some 954's.

You don't want new rings. If I was doing this I would reassemble the entire engine with the "old" parts and just use new seals/gaskets. Although i would not have torn an engine down because a spark plug came loose.

If the spark plug threads were pulled out of the head by compression forces, then you will need to have the spark plug thead repaired with an insert... do not Helicoil it! There are inserts made just for this but it requires special tools and removal of the engine cylinder head. That is all.

If the shop doesn't put it back together or fix the threads, take the head to a powersports shop and they should be able to install a spark plug thread insert.

This sounds like a bad case of bad tech work/guessing. I'd make the shop pay to put it back together correctly.

Also since the engine is having to be reassembled TELL them to check and adjust ALL the valves. The 954RR has one valve in particular that is always too tight.. it needs to be shimmed to bring it into good tolerance.

just out of curiosity, why would you not replace the rings if the motor is apart

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page