MAXXIS TIRE REVIEW - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-06-2003, 6:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: MAXXIS TIRE REVIEW

Thought some of you may be interested in my 'review' that I sent out to the sportbike newsgroups on usenet. *BTW, you can order a 180/55 SuperMAXX tire for $90.00 from DMTA, the prices below are a few weeks old.

Well, I have 4200+ miles on the MAXXIS SuperMaxx tires and as you can see by the pics, they are doing fairly well in the tire wear department. *I thoroughly thrashed them for 80 miles in the Salt River Canyon on 9/28, check out the vids I posted in another thread. *SRC really chews up tires, no matter what brand, as my Pilots showed the same symptons of the SRC syndrome. *I am using the Salt River Canyon as my last and final comparison/review of the Maxxis tires, so here it goes.

The Maxxis tires equaled, maybe out performed, the Pilots. *The first run down the canyon, the tires were sticking, my pilots needed one decent run to get warmed up. *The Maxxis tires performed well, in fact, so well, that my mind felt comfortable running the high speeds and hard cornering that Salt River Canyon offers. *I had only rode my bike in the rain a few times with my pilots, however, I rode the SuperMaxx for MANY miles in the rain of Colorado. *Honestly, this isn't a fair comparison, but I would have to give the nod to the SuperMaxx for rain riding. *The tread is much wider and deeper than the Pilots, which would mean to me, you can get the water away from road and tire quicker. *I could be wrong, but that's my take on the matter. *The serious rain we hit on Montrose, or was it Monarch, Pass was herendous and I didn't feel as if I was losing any traction or, most importantly, confidence in my rain riding.

In all fairness to BOTH tires, what it now comes down to is PRICE. *Let's face it, we are all looking for a deal, save some money here and there and we have that new rear shock or fork job. *For the money, you simply can't beat the Maxxis tires for performance and longevity. *For the average to above average rider, these tires will provide plenty of grip in the canyon or on the track. *For those that are diehard trackday junkies and have unlimited funds, a track/race tire is for you. *These are NOT re-badged Cheng-Shin tires, *Maxxis specifically developed this tire to cater to the sportbike crowd. *Maxxis also makes some awesome truck and car tires.

Here are the best prices I have found:

http://motorcyclepitstop.com/mivasto....=Street

Maxxis M6029 120/70ZR-17 Front * *$87.95
Maxxis M6029 180/55ZR-17 Rear * * $112.95 * *TOTAL: $200.90 - Shipping is free if you order two tires

Michelin Pilot Sport 120/70ZR-17 Front * *$108.95
Michelin Pilot Sport 180/55ZR-17 Rear * *$135.95 * *TOTAL: $244.90 - Shipping is free if you order two tires

Here are a few pics:

http://www.tank69.com/images/kfc/DSCN0013.JPG
http://www.tank69.com/images/kfc/DSCN0015.JPG

For those infatuated with CHICKEN STRIPS : )

http://www.tank69.com/images/kfc/DSCN0016.JPG
http://www.tank69.com/images/kfc/DSCN0017.JPG
http://www.tank69.com/images/kfc/DSCN0018.JPG

Here they are, the front tire. *As you can tell by the pics, I am really good at left handers and leave something to be desired for right handers.

http://www.tank69.com/images/kfc/front.JPG

http://www.tank69.com/images/kfc/front-l.JPG

http://www.tank69.com/images/kfc/front-r.JPG

These tires have 4200+ miles and the front is wearing great, no cupping or issues. *I run 36/38 tire pressure if anyone is wondering.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-10-2003, 8:53 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Very nice writeup on the tires Tank! Cool to see someone with cohones enough to take the 'cheap' tires to the limit on the street! I'm not sure if we have a Norwegian distributor for the Maxxis tires, but if that's the case I would be willing to give them a try
The prices on the tires delivered by the 'big brands' are way to expensive here in Norway
! I buy all my tires via work, and everytime I order something they are asking: Who will be doing the ballancing/changing of the tires.. What do they care? As long as I'm happy with my tires it ought to be none of their concern in my 'humble' opinion. Phuck them!!!

My gallery

and do check out Freeloader My sister is the voice
post #3 of 15 Old 10-11-2003, 3:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.

Like I said, I was very surprised by the performance and longevity of the tire. I ordered a 180, going away from the 190, and it was $99.00 to my door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-11-2003, 5:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Nice write up - will definately consider them once I have a big to try them on. Luckily, we do have a distibuter here in Aus...

Z..

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #5 of 15 Old 10-29-2003, 3:06 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via Yahoo to CBR629

I agree great write up,your right everybody wants a good deal on some tires. It sseems like the big wheels forget about us and someone comes in and steal their thunder....we need a break sometimes.Riding a bike is great but it can get expensive so I try to cut cost anyway I can..Thanks.

IF YOU CAN'T KEEP UP,DON'T STEP UP.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-29-2003, 8:42 AM

Dude!!! Take some time away from 'tire testing' and take care of your rusty-a$$ chain!

Glad you had fun scrubbing the new rubber in. Drop your pressures a little more if you want to be a true 'baller'.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-29-2003, 1:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
googolplexu : Dude!!! *Take some time away from 'tire testing' and take care of your rusty-a$$ chain!
It's not rust, it's the Arizona dust that accumulates on anything and everything. *

Since we RIDE ALL YEAR ROUND in AZ , I just clean/lube it more often.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-30-2003, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Tank69 : Since we RIDE ALL YEAR ROUND in AZ , I just clean/lube it more often.
Imagine that...we do too!
post #9 of 15 Old 05-18-2011, 11:19 AM

Wow old thread! These tyres have only been around for a couple of years in the UK. I've just fitted Supermaxxes to my 1993 Fireblade RRP (replacing the previous Dunlops), so far I'm finding absolutely no grip, stability or noise problems, which is a major improvements on all of the other premium brands I've tried on this bike over the years.

The handling has been transformed from frankly 'dangerous' with the worn Dunlops (uneven tyre wear on the front and squared off rear) to as I remember the bike when it was new... light, well balanced and totally insane in a straight line. Motorway stability is excellent, they even seem to grip in the wet all the way to the edge, which is a first for a road tyre in my experience.

I have to say I'm massively impressed so far at the price - they cost me (for a pair) less than I was expecting to pay for just the rear so I'll definitely be buying again.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 7:12 AM

Funky Fossil how's it going with the Maxxis ? ? ?

Was considering putting a set of Sports on my 954 but can't get my head round the price vs quality scenario - you still loving or hating them
post #11 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 8:53 AM

Hi Wurley,

Yep I'm still loving the Maxxis supermaxx's on my blade, although I haven't had to cope with much in the way of rain so far - forecast for heavy showers over the next few days so I will let you know how it goes.

Still massively impressed with the stability and grip these tyres give at the price, but then I'm comparing with a set of tyres which were so worn out they were affecting the handling at low speeds.

Regards
post #12 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 10:44 AM

Reputation Power: 41

Interesting points.

A know a few guys who have tried them with mixed feedback. Some of the more "aggressive" riders seemed to really destroy theirs and it was though the tyres weren't up to the job.

However, some loved theirs and thought they were great and an obvious bargain to be had.

FWIW, the IOM TT marshalls all ride on Maxxis and they are really quick guys, so if they are good enough for them.

So far, I have stuck to the so called "premium" brands, but I may try some at some point in the future.

Sometimes I wish I was a faster rider, but there's no heroes in the graveyard..............
post #13 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 11:15 AM

Hi Splatty,

I'm sure if you were to go nuts on a dry track you would soon find some shortcomings, I'm using the 'blade as a commuter so not going anything like as fast as I would on the track.

I did Mad Sunday at the Isle of Man in 2005, I had a new set of Bridgestones on for that and they barely lasted the week, I've got no doubt at all that the Maxxis tyres would be similarly mullered after that sort of treatment.

Anyway, they're fairly cheap, so even if they don't last as long as they get me through the summer I'm happy!

Regards
post #14 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 5:05 PM

Cheers Funky look forward to what you think after some more traditional British summer weather by the way are your running the touring version or the sport please rotfl:

Last edited by wurley; 05-23-2011 at 5:15 PM.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 4:14 AM

Hi Wurley,

I'm running the sports version, the 'blade doesn't get treated gently most of the time (it's the only excitement I get all day after all... running an IT department is very dull sometimes!). Be interesting to see how long the Maxxis last before the handling goes off again, I'm hoping they get through the summer as the reason I got the 'blade back on the road was to save fuel / travel time / money compared to my car (Honda S2000).

Regards

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page