Starter Valve adjustment location? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-09-2003, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Re: Starter Valve adjustment location?

I am planning on adjusting my starter valves tomorrow and just wanted to make sure I have the right locations for adjustments and the 5-way valve (see attached).
I also am unsure of the location of the PAIR valve hoses to be unplugged and capped. Are they under the front of the airbox or at the rear?
Can they be squeezed shut without removing the airbox?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-10-2003, 9:26 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Looks like you have things correctly identified. *The PAIR valve hoses are the 2 larger (~1' outer dia.) hoses that exit the top of the valve cover, so under the front of the airbox.

If you have some proper hose pinch-pliers, and they are long enough, you should be able to get at them from the side fairing openings. *I was able to reach mine from both sides, but had to get my son to reach the left side hose for me, as my hands were too big to stuff in there. *YMMV, as I believe you are on a 929 and I'm not sure if the access is the same as 954.

Good luck with it; like others have reported, I found that doing the sync on my throttle bodies just smoothed-out the idle a bit and also the off-idle throttle response.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-10-2003, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have a 954 and not a 929, so your advice should be particularly useful. I have a surging/hunting problem at 3,500 rpm and believe adjusting the starter valves will help things out. If this doesn't help, then I will see if the previous owner disconnected anything and hook it back up. I have heard that the flapper valve being disconnected can cause this problem. I think this is the valve for the exhaust?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-10-2003, 4:50 PM

I think the flapper valve is in the airbox?
post #5 of 13 Old 10-10-2003, 9:30 PM

Quote:
TexasBlade : I think the flapper valve is in the airbox?
Foh Shu dude! Flapper valve is in the airbox.. ! Me thinks
Hope you sort your surging problem out!

My gallery

and do check out Freeloader My sister is the voice
post #6 of 13 Old 10-11-2003, 3:07 AM Thread Starter

I think I was referring to the PAIR valves. Anyway, they are hooked up and so is the flapper in the airbox. The starter valves were not too close together, so I got them sorted out. The surge is better, but still not gone. I reloaded the Erion slipon and stock air filter map and the low end hesitation is gone, but the surge is still worse than with the stock map loaded. I will just have to get use to it unless someone has had the same problem and cares to share their solution. I have a 2004 954 with Erion slipon, stock air filter, O2 eliminator, and PCIIIr. Has any one with the equipment I have installed, tried a different map (other than Erion map) with success? Thanks in advance.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-11-2003, 3:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Fire929blade : Quote (TexasBlade @ Oct. 10 2003, 3:50pm)I think the flapper valve is in the airbox?
Foh Shu dude! Flapper valve is in the airbox.. ! Me thinks *
Hope you sort your surging problem out! *
A Norwegian valley dude. Fancy that!
post #8 of 13 Old 10-11-2003, 3:18 AM

If your done with the mods, perhaps try having L&L do a custom map for you? He's up at WSIR at least once a month.

Mike
post #9 of 13 Old 10-11-2003, 9:31 AM

Quote:
TexasBlade : I think the flapper valve is in the airbox?

post #10 of 13 Old 10-13-2003, 3:47 PM Thread Starter

Just an update, I loaded an ARATA California map this morning and the low end pause is gone and the 3,500 surge is also non-existant. It appears to be running a little rich though. This tells me a good map is out there somewhere, I just need to find it or pay for a custom one. More to come.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-13-2003, 3:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
G-Force Junkie : If your done with the mods, perhaps try having L&L do a custom map for you? *He's up at WSIR at least once a month.

Mike
I will be at Willow Springs Toyota 200 this Sunday, so maybe he will be there and I can check things out. Thanks.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-15-2003, 3:51 AM

Reputation Power: 18

I had the same surging thing happening with my 929, I've got a custom map done but he didn't really pay much attention to anything below 4000, which is where all the surging comes from.

I found that by just messing with the map at the appropriate rpms it can be smoothed out, try to move the smooth part of the revs downwards 500rpm at a time -ie if it starts to bog and surge below 3500 then work with the 3000rpm row first and get that right and so on and so on.

leaning the mixture out about 5 to 10 worked for me, it' s still not perfect but I was using my mates laptop and it's quite a slow process, load changed map, unplug laptop, put on helmet go out for a test ride, come back in, do it all again.

I thing the starter valve sync, throttle cable adjustment, and chain tension all play a part in the surginess of the bike anyway, mine haven't been looked at for a while so will set them all correctly before I tinker with the PCIII.

Cheers
Ben.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-15-2003, 3:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. The Arata map seems to be working just fine, and I got 37mpg when I checked this morning. 1/2 freeway riding, and 1/2 twisties after work (semi WFO). There is still an occasional surge at the 3,500rpm range, but is manageable now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page