42mm front sag - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-09-2003, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: 42mm front sag

I finally went ahead and started messing around with the 954's suspension in preperation for Jennings GP next week.

Anyway, front sag was 47mm stock and from all the research i've been doing i went ahead to try and get it down to the 33-35 range for track use. *I gradually increased the preload, keeping records of each adjustment until i finally reach full hard, 8.5 turns clockwise from stock and sag only went down to 42mm

Now i know the 954 has soft springs etc., but i also assumed they were soft for the heavier riders and the 954 was built for the 155lb rider. *I'm right around that weight so i thought i could save on getting the forks done.

So... what weight rider is the bike actually acceptable for, seeing as 155lbs is too heavy?

Can i get away with 42mm sag for agressive track use?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-09-2003, 11:58 PM

Well... a 155 rider and a 120 passenger. Sorry, stock suspension _is_ set for that lowest common denominator, and changing springs is probably the cheapest solution.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-10-2003, 11:13 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Putting new springs on a 929/954 is relatively easy. As long as you have a front stand that keeps the front wheel off the ground and some common tools. You can get the correct springs from Racetech and do it yourself.

A week prior to picking up my 929 I ordered the correct springs as I knew it would never be set right for me.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-10-2003, 6:45 PM

Yep, front springs are too soft, no way around it. You can ride it on the track, but you will have problems. Many things will influence how well it works (track, your riding style etc) but you can expect a couple of bad things:

1) Your front end is gonna be riding low. This will mean the bike turns easier, but is less stable.

2) you will probably be bottoming on the brakes into (at least) the slower corners. If there are braking bumps, and you are bottomed, it's easier to tuck the front and crash since the wheel will start chattering across the pavement.

3) Because you're running lower, an aggressive rider would be more likely to run out of ground clearance

If it's a smooth fast track, you'll actually have less problems on the brakes as you do not compress the fork as hard from high speeds.

A slow or bumpy track will be pretty rough.

You can improve the situation by focusing on being smooth, and maybe adding some compression damping. You can also consider dropping some rear ride height to make up for the lower front end, but this will hurt your ground clearance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page