More track questions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-10-2003, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Re: More track questions

OK, so I have tires on my bike, they are in pretty good shape, the edges are about 80% tread left, middle bout 60%. Should I get a new set for trackday, or just use these? Ill research my own brand, so this is not another 'what tires are best' thread.
Another question is that the track says to use watter wetter, if I use engine Ice is that just as good, or should I just get the wetter and forget about it? Thanx.

To all those that reply thanks you, from a 1st timer going to track on 18 OCT woohoo, Im stoked and anxious. I cant wait!!!!!!

Hi Yall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-10-2003, 11:05 AM

Reputation Power: 42

My 2 cents would be to buy a new set of tires for your track day....save the existing tires for street riding later.....

Have fun on your 1st track day...its a blast!

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #3 of 21 Old 10-10-2003, 11:07 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Sounds like the tires are just 'ok'. Depending on your tech inspector, you may or may not pass. As far as Engine Ice, call the club. Why chance any of it and get rejected and throw your money away.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 10-10-2003, 11:39 AM

Reputation Power: 20

I think engine ice is approved by most of the major racing organizations so you shouldn't have a problem.

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

post #5 of 21 Old 10-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 32

I would also say that you'd be better off getting new tires. You're probably okay with what you have, but it would be better to have new ones than to have to call the day early. You'll probably want to drop pressures too.

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #6 of 21 Old 10-10-2003, 12:30 PM

Reputation Power: 0

If you are going to Jennings, they don't 'require' to change out the coolant anymore. Hell, they don't even do a tech inspection. Just tape your lights, take off the mirrors, and go ride.

I would definitely get some track-oriented tires. You will start finding the limits of street tires even on your first track day. H2's would be a good start.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-10-2003, 1:11 PM
Supporting Member

Please do change out your coolant, even if it's not required. You don't want to be the guy that ruins the day for everyone else in the unfortunate event that you go down.

post #8 of 21 Old 10-10-2003, 2:58 PM

Reputation Power: 25

If it's just one day, and you're just getting started with track days, I think you will be fine with 60% in the center and 80% on the sides. They should last at least one day on the track.

It is nice to have fresh tires without a flattened profile to make the bike handle better. If you don't have a bad flat spot in the back or any cupping or scalloping on the front, it will still handle well.

Good street tires are fine for beggining track riders, IMHO. I still use them after 25+ track days on my 929. Some say that stickier track tires are good insurance, but that does not describe the whole picture.

Just because you put on stickier tires does not, by any stretch, keep you from crashing. I haven't crashed yet at the track. No matter which tires you run, you must ride smart and smooth. Tires don't just drop a rider for no reason. It is generally bad input that takes people down.

Yes, you could hit spilled oil or a wild turkey, but other than that, it is your responsibility to ride within your personal limits.

I see people crashing on much stickier tires all the time. Even though they are running 10 seconds a lap slower than me. I just wanted to make the point that no tire will save you from your own mistakes. Other riders have shown me that over and over and over...
post #9 of 21 Old 10-10-2003, 3:05 PM
Supporting Member

That's true. *Good street tires should be fine for a first time track experience. *I got through my first couple of track outings on 207s. *When you start to get faster, you'll want to step up to real track rubber.

I think Pridmore even does his demo rides on regular 208 street tires. Of course, his skill level is slightly on a different plane...

post #10 of 21 Old 10-10-2003, 3:52 PM

Hey, are you implying that I'm not fast yet! LOL! Well, it is true. I'm not the fastest, but faster than most of the guys running track rubber.

I am a weirdo though. People are surprised that I am running as fast as I am on street rubber. But again, I'm doing it without crashes or even close calls. (Knock on wood). I know that won't last forever, and that I'll have to get stickier rubber someday, but it will probably be my own fault if I go down and not purely the tires.

I'm going out to NESBA track days Road America this Saturday and Sunday. I'm bringing a fresh set of tires to use after I use up the ones on the bike.
post #11 of 21 Old 10-10-2003, 4:57 PM
Supporting Member

Not implying at all.

I'm not fast myself but I know I wouldn't be able to go back to pure street tires on the track. One of the hybrid tires like the M1 would probably be okay for trackdays, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable pushing it.

Again, for first time on the track, a good street tire should be fine.

post #12 of 21 Old 10-10-2003, 5:07 PM
ER

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
tigerblade : I'm not fast myself...
That must make me even less fast...

I've seen accomplished riders lapping Gateway on Triumph touring bikes with touring tires. A handful of riders at the last track-day were turning decent lap-times with greasy D207s. In my experiences, I've only had a little slippage after grabbing too much throttle on an exit. Even then, it was mild. So I think that as long as you're not hamfisted, you should be dragging a knee on street-tires just fine. Just take a couple of laps to warm them up first.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-10-2003, 5:37 PM

I like to brake hard and accellerate harder than I need to during that first (slower) lap to help heat the tires faster. The next lap is faster, then I go for it. You don't want to cruise around too slowly on your 'warmup' lap, or the tires wont get fully warmed. Slower in corners is ok on the warmup, but it helps to charge the straights and use the brakes a bit.
post #14 of 21 Old 10-10-2003, 5:37 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
ER : That must make me even less fast...
What happened to 'TB never passed me at Gateway'?

post #15 of 21 Old 10-10-2003, 5:39 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Zippy : I like to brake hard and accellerate harder than I need to during that first (slower) lap to help heat the tires faster. *The next lap is faster, then I go for it. *You don't want to cruise around too slowly on your 'warmup' lap, or the tires wont get fully warmed. *Slower in corners is ok on the warmup, but it helps to charge the straights and use the brakes a bit.
Good advice. A lot of people think that weaving around it what heats the tires. Hard acceleration will do more good. Careful on the front brake before they're up to temp.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page