Chain's Story Time - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-10-2003, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Chain's Story Time

Got up today, dressed in all the gear I've got but for the liner in my Tour Master Cortech jacket (I would regret this about 20 miles down the road - I got cold) and headed up interstate 29 from Council Bluffs to Sioux City, Iowa, specifically Stone State Park on the northwest side of town.

The 'bitterpart' of the bittersweet was that it was cool and overcast. In fact, by the time I'd gotten to Sioux City and dinked around the park for about a half hour, I was so chilled and stiff I decided to forgo a winding backroads return through the Loess Hills and hit the slab home. Of course later today it turned quite warm with plenty of sunshine. Go figgur.

The flip side of all this is I've discovered motorcycles photograph much more nicely without direct sunlight hitting them. The glare of the sun's rays blurs detail that doesn't come out until you snap a new pics on a cloudy morning and realize what you've been missing. Sure, the soft evening glow of the reddening sun will always be the moto-mags' money shot, but for me nothing much quite beats shooting in the sort of light I did today.

Slab speed? Sustained high 80s on the way up, sustained high 90s (to a few miles at an even 100 miles per hour) coming home. After leaving Sioux City with a full tank of gas, the first 4.0 gallons of fuel burned before the low fuel light comes on were gone in -get this- 98 miles! That's only 25 mpg!

Some pics are in order.

A shot against a near vertical earthen wall right before the entrance to the park.

A pic of the entrance to the park itself. Very cool stone wall with inset sign at the gates.

This is one of the park's overlooks. It's said you can see three states from here on a clear day (Nebraska, Iowa and South Dakota). Unfortunately, the gloom and overcast skies prevented that this morning. About a third of the leaves have fallen. I suspect the rest will be down in no time, maybe in as little as another week. Too bad. Such a beautiful (and very temporary) time of year.

Two photos of interest further into the park. Some of the twisting, undulating pavement reminded me of Deals Gap [hey, I can dream, right?]. It was pretty fun to ride, although I kept the pace to very pedestrian levels despite the fact I seemed to be the only one there. It is a state park after all, and I didn't want or need a ranger hearing my Yosh equipped machine and seeking me out.

This first shot looks downhill.

And this one uphill (a totally different stretch of road, btw).

So that was my abbreviated trip today. About 220 miles in around three hours (a half hour of which was puttering through the park). Do the math on that and tell me I don't need to look into a more sedate machine, lol!

Somebody please talk me into something slow, something mature. Something with only two cylinders. V-Strom anyone? I know a prematurely aging shutterbug in need of a slower ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-10-2003, 10:20 PM

Reputation Power: 19

yup, fall foliage ride today also. i was up in pczach's area, rode an 03 gsxr 1000. seat like a couch and front brakes that suck. gobs of power.

Insignificant Member
post #3 of 13 Old 10-10-2003, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Chain : Slab speed? Sustained high 80s on the way up, sustained high 90s (to a few miles at an even 100 miles per hour) coming home.
I am so jealous!! *It must be nice to be afforded the relative immunity you are to speeding * . *Not really angry, just jealous.

And welcome to shutterbug lesson #1. *Overcast days are always better than sunny days for many shots - much better color saturation and no glare *

Now when are you coming to Tucson?!

Edit: *And thanks for shielding me from f(d)umbd(f)ucker's unrelenting onslaught in another thread. *But for the love of God, don't refer to me as Baccy - people will begin to talk. *

Edit/reedit: Forgot to say, NICE PICS!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-11-2003, 8:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
freq : yup, fall foliage ride today also. i was up in pczach's area, rode an 03 gsxr 1000. seat like a couch and front brakes that suck. gobs of power.
Front brakes that suck? Interesting. I thought the Suzuki radials were good, though they didn't have the lever feel of my 954's. Then again, my only ride was in the rain, so I couldn't use them like I wanted to.

I'm in lockstep with you on the power and seat issues.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-11-2003, 8:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Bacchus : Quote (Chain @ Oct. 10 2003, 6:11pm)Slab speed? Sustained high 80s on the way up, sustained high 90s (to a few miles at an even 100 miles per hour) coming home.
I am so jealous!! *It must be nice to be afforded the relative immunity you are to speeding * . *Not really angry, just jealous.
I probably better say a few things here...

First off, consider than Corn Belt states are raising their interstate speed limits all the time. Heck, Nebraska's limit is now 75 miles per hour once you get out of the city. Add in the standard 'discount' that every cop I know around here provides (and I know alot of 'em) and Joe Citizen can run right up against the 85 mile per hour mark before the average trooper or deputy will even look at them.

On my trip up to Stone State Park in the 80s, I was only keeping up with traffic. On the way back I wasn't passed, but I didn't blow anyone's doors off either.

Not being defensive, honest. But 'immunity from speeding' isn't at all what I possess.

post #6 of 13 Old 10-11-2003, 9:37 AM

Ahh, I was wondering what happened to the SCGD*...

*Standard Chain-Grade Disclaimer

post #7 of 13 Old 10-11-2003, 11:03 AM

nice pics and ride chain, let me know when the next one is!

"Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it."
post #8 of 13 Old 10-11-2003, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
roadrunner954 : nice pics and ride chain, let me know when the next one is!
How about next Thursday or Friday? Highs in the 60s with plenty of sunshine according to accuweather.com.

I know, I know, my schedule blows. I rarely have weekends off.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-11-2003, 1:19 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Nice pics. *I'd kill for just one road like that down here. *

98 miles and then the light? *A little heavy on the throttle?

Edit: typo

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

post #10 of 13 Old 10-11-2003, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Chain : Quote (freq @ Oct. 10 2003, 9:20pm)yup, fall foliage ride today also. i was up in pczach's area, rode an 03 gsxr 1000. seat like a couch and front brakes that suck. gobs of power.
Front brakes that suck? Interesting. I thought the Suzuki radials were good, though they didn't have the lever feel of my 954's. Then again, my only ride was in the rain, so I couldn't use them like I wanted to.

I'm in lockstep with you on the power and seat issues.
that's what i said. when riding the 600rr and the '03 gsxr1000 back 2 back that is what both my cousin and i said. first corner on that gixxer i almost went off, no bite whatsoever. his comments on the 600rr confirmed my findings, it's almost like the 600's line are steel braided from the factory (they are not). they do have some sort of covering over them unlike any other Honda I have ever had.

Insignificant Member
post #11 of 13 Old 10-11-2003, 5:48 PM

Quote:
2OHOH2954 : Ahh, I was wondering what happened to the SCGD*...

*Standard Chain-Grade Disclaimer
SCGD Er sorry Chain, but it struck me as humorous.

And Chain, notice I said 'relative' immunity. If you and I got pulled over for 90-100 in a 75, who do you think would have a better chance at a warning? Actually the DPS here in AZ usually gives you about 10 over 65/75, whatever posted is, before citing you. I even had one DPS dude tell me that - pretty cool IMO.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-11-2003, 6:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Bacchus : Chain, notice I said 'relative' immunity. If you and I got pulled over for 90-100 in a 75, who do you think would have a better chance at a warning?
It's probably a toss up because I don't make a practice of identifying myself as an officer unless I'm carrying (which isn't terribly often when I'm on the bike - figure I can outrun any problem I'd happen across).

In any case Bac, it's all good. I just wince every time this subject comes up because there is a heck of a misperception out there that peace officers carry around a Get Out Of Jail Free card in the form of their police ID, and that's not really the case. As they should, cops get arrested with some regularity for serious traffic offenses (DUI for instance). There are even cops brought up on charges of domestic violence and more insidious crimes.

I occasionally speed. If I have a vice, that's it.

Put yourself in my shoes. I ride a powerful sportbike for many of the same reasons everyone else does on this board - it's fun to go fast. When the helmet is on and I'm aboard the bike, I'm just like everyone else...just a guy out riding his motorcycle, trying to have a good time, trying not to attract too much attention for my trouble.

Is it right for me to break the law, any law, speeding or otherwise? Of course it's not okay, no more okay for you or other Org members to do so. But show me a performance bike enthusiast who doesn't and I'll show you a heavily chromed and polished trailer queen that lives its life from garage to burger stand on Friday nights only.

One last note since you got me a talkin' - I don't write bikers. As I've talked about here on the board before, I stop 'em and talk with them, but it's been about a decade since the last time I wrote a citation to a guy on two wheels.

[/ramble]

Disclaimer: This post was authored in the spirit of good will among fellow motorcyclists, and in a pleasant tone.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-11-2003, 7:05 PM

Dang! Didn't mean to touch a raw nerve my friend. I just always figured cops would sorta look the other way for other cops if the infraction wasn't too crazy (I know for a fact it has happened to 2 friends of mine). That is not to say you are in that group. Peace, Bro! And yes, I know you have posted before regarding not citing cyclists, and to that I say, thank you.

In closing, thank you so much for the latest SCGD - oh God, I am going to milk that one for all it is worth .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page