93 fireblade coughing - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2007, 5:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

93 fireblade coughing

hey guys,

look, i havent owned this blade for long, prob 4 months or so. A few weeks ago, i had the fairing painted, so the bike was naked for around 3 weeks, most of the time it had a cover on it. The other day i put all its clothes back on and it sat for another few days. Eventually took angela (blade) for a good ride. She was allright for nearly the whole day, but i was heading back home, and she started to cough and splutter. At first i thought it was my mate in his alfa infront of me, but as i took off, i noticed it was cutting in and out, eventually stalled on me when i was riding. Pulled over to have a look and she struggled to start, sounded like it was missfiring, and then would just cut out. waited about 15mins, and she started up fine, got on it and about another 5km down the road same thing happens. Now it wont start at all. I am going to take her to the doctors but i thought i should ask you guys, might save me a couple hundred dollars.

some help would be much appreciated.

thanks, scud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2007, 9:30 AM

Re: 93 fireblade coughing

It could be the fuel pump packed up, check that you are getting fuel to the carbs. if its not that, its proberly electrical, i would start by checking some basic things like spark plugs, leads, coils, cdi unit, fuses etc and go from there, good luck .
post #3 of 7 Old 08-22-2007, 9:25 AM Thread Starter

could it have been wiring to stator shorting out? would that make the bike cut in and out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-22-2007, 9:15 PM

The voltage regulator/rectifier. It's located behind the right rear cowl. It's probably toast. Pull the connector off and check for burn marks inside the connectors and on the terminals. I can find you a brand new for around $60 shipped. It is new and improved with cooling fins/heat sink.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-24-2007, 6:22 AM Thread Starter

thanks fastrr, i did get it fixed, $70aud, i just wanted to know if the mechs were bullsh#$ing me or not.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-24-2007, 6:20 PM

On a 900RR that is the first thing i look at when the engine starts cutting in and out. The Honda oem voltage regulator/rectifier runs around $200 usd. I just buy the aftermarket units off ebay for 1/4 the price.

I take it your bike runs good now?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-26-2007, 6:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrr View Post
On a 900RR that is the first thing i look at when the engine starts cutting in and out. The Honda oem voltage regulator/rectifier runs around $200 usd. I just buy the aftermarket units off ebay for 1/4 the price.

I take it your bike runs good now?
well, i took it out today, forgot that i was low on fuel, and it behaved the same way, spluttering and coughing, and then died, put it on reserve, and eventually got it going again, i actually hope it was the fuel this time, because i dont want to go for a decent ride and then get stuck! the joys of buying a 93 model i guess.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page