Paint costs? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 08-20-2007, 3:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Paint costs?

Just curious... I'm thinking about getting my wheels painted to match the orange on my bike. How much should that cost on average? Does anyone from Orlando know a good paint shop? And depending on how much it would cost would it be worth it or should i go after market? Also, I want to clean up the rear end of my 900RR. Any suggestions on an undertail?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-20-2007, 9:57 PM

Re: Paint costs?

By all means, do NOT have your wheels painted. Get them powder coated instead. Paint would wear off of a wheel and chip and flake. Powder coating is baked on in an oven, and you can have it flat-coated or hi-gloss clear coated. I have a shop up here that does it for $60 a wheel.

The only bad thing is, you have to get new replacement wheel bearings from a dealer, so figure on another $80-$100 or so to put new wheel bearings in after the powder coating is done.

But, it lasts forever. I have had my VFR wheels done white, and my 929 wheels done in silver, and it's just awesome. They have over 400 colors to choose from, from flats to metallics, and metal flakes.

Look around for a good powder coater in your area.
post #3 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 12:37 AM

I got quotes of $100 a rim to color match my 2006 GL1800TE gold goldwing. (Topeka Gold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 1:52 PM Thread Starter

anybody know a good powdercoating shop near orlando?
post #5 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 2:27 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Send a message via AIM to hotnanas

no, but you could send them here to Houston. I just got my nsr50's done and my 929 should be done already...i just need to pick them up.

pic's here:
cliffordrock.com

cliffordrock.com

...actually...i do know someone in FL too...let me find his contact info.
post #6 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 2:30 PM

Try ErmaxUK Motorcyle Accessories for an undertail they can do one in the factory colours
post #7 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 2:31 PM

Brandon at Armor-Tech Powder Coatings, Inc.
he moved from Houston, now he's in Pompano Beach...don't know if that's too far from Orlando though...i don't know a thing about Florida.
post #8 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 8:14 PM

Reputation Power: 13

i paid $140 for mine and the crash cage
post #9 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 9:46 PM

That's a good and fair price for a solid color on powdercoating those two wheels and crash cages.

If someone tells you more than $80 to do one wheel, walk away and find another powdercoat shop.

I am having a set powdercoated gunmetal metalic grey here soon. You do have to replace the wheel bearings however, and the seals.
post #10 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 10:06 PM

Keep in mind that there are a TON of custom colors out there, so if you need something beside the "normal" black, white, red, etc... it can get more expensive. $80 for a rim is fine, but once you get into the custom shades n colors... whoa... lookout!
post #11 of 28 Old 08-22-2007, 10:03 AM

the guy that did mine charged $70 for each 929 wheel and $35 for each NSR wheel...bearings and seals are cheap if you don't get them from a dealer. I get mine at an actual bearing store, and they pressed mine in for free.
post #12 of 28 Old 08-22-2007, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicusMaximus View Post
By all means, do NOT have your wheels painted. Get them powder coated instead. Paint would wear off of a wheel and chip and flake.
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!

How do you think motorcycle wheels are supplied new from the factory? They're painted my friend. Treated well, the paint does not 'wear' off, it won't flake, and it is baked/cured in an oven.

Yes, powdercoating is baked on too (at a much higher temperature I'll add), and it is more durable than paint. I'll give you that. Questions have been raised about the powdercoat oven bake process stressing the wheels (annealing them). I don't know about that, but I know that painting them won't expose them to that risk (if there is one).

Powdercoating is not this imprevious, indestructable medium. It will chip just the same as paint will. Treat it harshly and it will scratch just like paint. Use the wrong polish and you will marr it, and degreaser attacks powdercoat if not washed off right away (unlike paint).

I'm not attacking powdercoating....I have my car and bike wheels powdercoated, as well as a lot of other parts on my bike, so I do personally believe in the process. I'm also a part-time spray painter so I paint wheels too. They're both good options to color a wheel. Yes, there are some pretty cool colors in powdercoat, but it will never replace the infinite color availability of paint.

All I'm saying is that painting a wheel is not as delicate a finish as you would have make out.

Cheers,
Sime
post #13 of 28 Old 08-22-2007, 10:40 PM

Im knew on here but i had my lips polished and painted the ceters in a single stage black and had no problems. There easy to keep clean and if i do get a chip it will be east to touch up unlike a powder coat.
post #14 of 28 Old 08-23-2007, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicusMaximus View Post
The only bad thing is, you have to get new replacement wheel bearings from a dealer, so figure on another $80-$100 or so to put new wheel bearings in after the powder coating is done.
Those are expensive wheel bearings. I bought exact replacements from a bearing distributor for several bucks each. I'd never buy from the factory dealer. Besides, any good mechanic can tap out and reuse the old bearings.
post #15 of 28 Old 08-23-2007, 1:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
Brandon at Armor-Tech Powder Coatings, Inc.
he moved from Houston, now he's in Pompano Beach...don't know if that's too far from Orlando though...i don't know a thing about Florida.
i wish i was closer to pompano but its actually quite a drive for powdercoating. thanks though

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page