RPM of diminished return in each gear on your bike? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-22-2007, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

RPM of diminished return in each gear on your bike?

I'm looking to get into a newer bike with more displacement, maybe a v-twin, maybe and inline, but definately 900cc++. I can't ask which is better because its all subjective... but this quetion would actually help with my wants. My 600 is very forgiving when it comes to full throttle in every gear, except 1st where a hard roll-on lifts the front at 9000 rpm on smooth flat ground (2nd through 6th can be flogged at will). Stunt bikes aside, what is your bike, and at what RPM's in which gears do you find you have to slide off the throttle to keep the front end down on a roll-on(no blipping to wheelie, we can all do that!). I've ridden other peoples twins and inlines but not hard enough as I would ride it if it were mine, so clue me in to the limits you've found and help me figure out what to go with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-22-2007, 1:27 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: RPM of diminished return in each gear on your bike?

My 1000rr is a brutal beast compared to the 600, yet very tame as it is tuned to keep the front tire down. Removing the intake and exhaust flapper controls give it a lot more kick, but still can be handled in first gear quite easily. If the rear tire doesn't slip, I don't have to retard the throttle. If the rear tire slips at all, the front WILL come up when it hooks in the first 2 gears. Is that what you are asking?
post #3 of 7 Old 08-22-2007, 1:36 PM

The thing is with a 600 you can pin the throttle and lean forward, front stays down. If you do the same with a Litre bike you WILL pull the front off the ground. It's all about throttle control. Both my 929 and 1098 will stand strait up if I cram the throttle. The more torque the engine can produce, the easier the front end comes up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-22-2007, 3:51 PM

I was in a similar situation when I went from an F4i to a 929. Stock form the 929 is very touchy in first gear and will lift eveen when just rolling on the throttle. With the current sprocket setup (-1,+2) the bike will lift at 35 mph just rolling on the throttle in 1st gear. It will lift to balance point in 2nd gear when the throttle is snapped at 45mph.

My friend 1000rr with a +5 rear sprocket is an absolute beast!

The torque of the liter bike is well worth the switch. No more winding out the engine just to move.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-22-2007, 4:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies. I'm pretty aware of the nature of the inline liter bikes, but not the actual points in each gear of liftoff. As stated its not hard to hold the front end down in 1st on my 600... but not even a consideration in 2-6 unless I hit a bump... not the case with the bigger bikes. A v-twin I rode came up on me while exiting a corner hard but steady throttled in second gear (both thrilling and scary) as the power band kicked in and it got me thinking on where each of the bikes I've been considering might do the same in each gear, not just the low ones. I didnt think the front end would come up rolling on a 1000 in third but my rearview caught my buddy do just that on a high speed corner the other day... so I was wrong. He does have a steep gear reduction which played into it, but not stunting steep! Do your bikes all roll on to immediate lift off in 1-5 or only after a specific rpm in each gear.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-22-2007, 4:28 PM

My 929 was completely stock so no matter how hard I jammed the throttle in 3rd gear, I both tires stayed on the ground 1st and 2nd would definitely bring the tire up. My 1098 (completely stock) will lift in 1-3 a little in 4th. Nice thing about the 1098 and most other ducs is that the powerbands and hp curves don't spike at different rpms so you are not surprised like alot of the inline 4's. My brother's 1000rr comes up through 5th and he's 40lbs heavier than I am. Just one of the reasons I went with a twin.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-24-2007, 6:44 PM

Sounds like you are asking when the power comes on for each bike. For that you really need to take a good look at the torque curve and a look at the where the power comes on. For a V-twin of course it will be a linear power curve with torque throughout the band. The Inline 4 comes on a bit higher up, but with the liter bike its fairly low.

For instance You can cruise in 6th gear on my 954 (or 929 I owned or the ZX9R) and stay in 6th and just gas and go. Same for the V-Twin liter. To get the same response on a 600 you would have had to kick down a few gears.

On takeoffs you do have to practice them. I can get a damn good takeoff without getting the front wheel more than an inch or 2 off the ground. Its technique however. I had a buddy of mine on an old FZR1000 make me look stupid slow on my takeoffs because I just plain sucked at it. Id either lag or start looking at the sky.

So to answer your question bluntly you will have a lot more power at lower RPMs with a liter bike with a really tall almost GT bike top end, or you can get a v-twin with really low down power, gobs of torque and have the same top end of a 600.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page