Rev counter bulbs burning the face plate... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-24-2007, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Rev counter bulbs burning the face plate...

Hi folks,

I am very happy with my 98 Blade; I had the 16k service done and everything is running sweeeet. However a small problem is steadily getting worse... When I purchased the bike the rev counter was immaculate, but fairly soon after I started riding her to work on the nice days (bit infrequent at the moment) and weekends, I have noticed a small burn mark inside the rev counter....

The one mark grew a little then seemed to stop, but then to my dismay another appeared and then another...... They don't obscure the counter (they are approx 5mm in diameter) and in the top centre area but I have a fear that something is shorting inside the clock. There is the possibility that washing her may be a catalyst but have not confirmed. I don't drown the clocks but they get splashed and some water runs down the back of the screen.

It is one of the very few imperfections the bike has and I hate to look down upon it! Has anyone any idea what could be happening? Is it possible to swap out the rev counter on it's own? I will supply a picture over the weekend so you can see what I mean. The clear plastic face doesn't seem to be burned, just the black face inside...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SpankyBlade; 08-24-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-24-2007, 1:30 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: Rev counter bulbs burning the face plate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyBlade View Post
Hi folks,

I am very happy with my 98 Blade; I had the 16k service done and everything is running sweeeet. However a small problem is steadily getting worse... When I purchased the bike the rev counter was immaculate, but fairly soon after I started riding her to work on the nice days (bit infrequent at the moment) and weekends, I have noticed a small burn mark inside the rev counter....

The one mark grew a little then seemed to stop, but then to my dismay another appeared and then another...... They don't obscure the counter (they are approx 5mm in diameter) and in the top centre area but I have a fear that something is shorting inside the clock. There is the possibility that washing her may be a catalyst but have not confirmed. I don't drown the clocks but they get splashed and some water runs down the back of the screen.

It is one of the very few imperfections the bike has and I hate to look down upon it! Has anyone any idea what could be happening? Is it possible to swap out the rev counter on it's own? I will supply a picture over the weekend so you can see what I mean. The clear plastic face doesn't seem to be burned, just the black face inside...

Thanks in advance.
Are you sure it's not the double bubble screen focusing the sunlight on the dials that is causing the burn? This is a well know and documented problem.

Just looked at a pic of the bike in another post and i see you have one of these. I love that bike in that colour, i had one stolen in 2002

Cheers
Simon

Last edited by r15suk; 08-24-2007 at 3:26 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
post #3 of 8 Old 08-24-2007, 2:04 PM

On the double bubble burning the dash, heard alot of guys placing a towel over it when they park it outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-24-2007, 6:55 PM

ah thats honda covering themselves. they had a massive warranty problem with the dashes back then and looked for a way to keep themselves from having to keep replacing them.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-25-2007, 6:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

we've not had enough sun to focus and burn the dials I can safely vouch for this!! I've not d/bouble (Airblade, iridium) and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Another thought is someone has but a higher wattage bulb in when one has blown? Just a thought. I had a 98 model for years and never noticed any heat damage to the tach.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-25-2007, 1:08 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your responses guys.

I had never considered magnification by the double bubble screen burning a hole in the tach... surely you would see some evidence of this in the clear plastic face? and as machinehead said, it hasn't been a very sunny summer, saying that I don't use her unless it's nice out.

if it is the sun causing it I can only cover the clocks etc but would still like to replace the rev counter if I can... anyone got a good spare they want to pass on?

thanks
post #7 of 8 Old 08-25-2007, 4:22 PM

That's a bummer. I'm not boasting when i say the 95-97 gauges do not do have that problem. I don't use a double bubble windscreen however. Just a dark tint LP.

You could do the F4i gauge swap. All you do is buy the custom made speedo healer that runs around $100 or so. A used set of F4i gauges runs around $30-120 on ebay. Some wiring experience is needed to tap into the old gauge harness which you will probably need to cut up the 98-99 gauge harness to tap into it for the F4i gauge.

Sime has it on his bike, says it works great. Digital too.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-25-2007, 6:52 PM

dude it aint the dubble bubble. the GOLDWINGS had this problem as well about the same time.

Like I said, honda warrantied a bunch of them and got some clever idea to cover themselves. Seeing as no one is going to sit there in the sun for weeks on end to see if they can trace a path of light possibly melting the gauge.

Ive seen it in gold wings and sportbikes with tinted and not double bubble screens.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page