HISS system - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-29-2007, 8:53 AM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

HISS system

Searched and found bugger all since it appears US bikes don't get the HISS system?
A mate picked up an '04 1000RR wreck today to build to race next season.
It's got no ignition or instruments or the HISS sensor.
If US bikes don't have HISS can we simply fit a US ECM so the system doesn't even know it's supposed to have HISS?
If we do need to put the HISS back on is it simply the key (I could have the ignition barrel matched to a key if I couldn't get one with the barrel) and the matching ECM that we need to replace? Is the HISS sensor (that fits around the ignition key) merely a pick-up sensor or is it also an active part of the code system?
Of course, the best fix is to simply disable the whole system. When I bought my 929 to race the HISS was still fairly new and I couldn't find any means of disabling it back then. Do racers still have a problem with it or is there a way of removing it these days?
Hopefully somebody can help :-)
Thanks.
Larry

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-30-2007, 8:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Re: HISS system

An ECU with HISS has to have the pick up and the matching key (the key has a chip in it which is coded to the ECU. Replace ment are possible to get but not sure how - a $tealer might know.

Apart from checking the wiring, I would have thought a non-HISS ECU could be fitted to a HISS bike. OK so the HISS light won't work but so what? and of course there is no built in imobiliser!!
post #3 of 19 Old 08-30-2007, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

I know it has to have the pickup to read the key but I'm thinking it doesn't have anything to do with checking the code itself. Was thinking today that the best bet is to get a complete harness and ECU from the US.
I didn't know there was a HISS light and my 929 has HISS.
I don't think an immobiliser is much good as an anti-theft system myself. I've never heard of an attempted theft that failed when HISS was discovered. I wouldn't be surprised actually if more bikes get stolen just because somebody lost their keys and couldn't start their own bike and wasn't going to pay the ridiculous replacement prices :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-31-2007, 8:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

Right, i dont know if this helps...

I picked up my Hornet 900 with no key. And it has the HISS System so i went to the Honda dealership and asked them to make me a new key. They said that its impossible as Honda made a system that was faultless. I would have to either contact the previous owner and ask if he had one, or get a complete brain including the ECU - £1000 New or £400/£500 2ND Hand.

As you can imagine, i was pissed. I had just bought a bike for £2000 and would need to do about £2000+ of repairs, and also a new Brain for £1000. It all was adding up on the first day!

If the bike doesnt have a HISS system, you will be ok, but if it did, the key would be matched to the brain and in England, you cannot get a key cut.

Over here, it doesnt matter what you do, your bike can and will get stolen. The just strip it, sell the parts (e.g. the clocks on the hornet are £700 new - mine has a new set) and they make their money.

Take care and good luck
post #5 of 19 Old 08-31-2007, 8:17 AM

And just to add, everything is matched. The key, the brain, the ecu, the ignition barrel and hiss sensor next to it.

If you can rip it out, try it, but i would say, try and find another wreck (may be hard) and steal it from it.

Good luck
post #6 of 19 Old 08-31-2007, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

How did you end up getting around it on the Hornet?
The key contains the code which the ECU reads before enabling the ignition. The ignition barrel I don't think has anything to do with it and you could get your barrel cut to fit whatever key you had. The sensor I think merely reports the code from the key to the ECU - I don't think it is matched in any way.
I think we'll just go with a US harness and ECU just to get it up and running. Once it's going then I might look closer at the harness and see if it is possible to convince a HISS-equipped bike that HISS doesn't exist.

Last edited by bladeracer; 08-31-2007 at 12:23 PM.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-31-2007, 12:14 PM

I managed to track down the previous owner who had a spare key, the log/service book and the manuals. Also he gave me a alarm fob - which i never knew it had.

I was quite lucky. I was told that everything was matched so it couldnt be started any way, but maybe that was the store trying to get me to buy everything again. You know what they are like.

Good luck
post #8 of 19 Old 08-31-2007, 9:54 PM

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I don't think an immobiliser is much good as an anti-theft system myself. I've never heard of an attempted theft that failed when HISS was discovered.
Someone tried to steal my 929.
The HISS stopped them - because they tried to hotwire it and it failed. They then tried to remove the HISS reader. What sort of idiot thinks that a security system is that poor you can just remove the sensor and it will disable it.

So I had a bike I couldnt start - but I still had a bike. Needed a new ignition barrel and HISS sensor.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-31-2007, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Thanks for this. It confirms the barrel and sensor are not active parts of the code system.

post #10 of 19 Old 09-01-2007, 4:35 AM

Reputation Power: 16

There is a way of coding new keys, unfortunately it requires having an existing key which is already programmed to the brain. This tells the computer you are legitemately programming a new key. That's why you replace your key when you first loose it. Don't think "it's ok, i've got a spare". Once you loose the spare, then you're stuffed.
post #11 of 19 Old 09-01-2007, 4:38 AM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Yep, I was quoted A$180 to do a spare for the 929 back in '03. It's also the reason my ignition switch is mounted under my tank where it's safe from damage :-)

post #12 of 19 Old 09-02-2007, 3:21 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Thanks for this. It confirms the barrel and sensor are not active parts of the code system.
Definitely - the physical key/barrel is independant.
One trick you can do (and Ive done it with my car) is to have a key cut. It wont start due to the immobiliser - but if you hold your real key near the sensor it will allow the cut key to work.

The sensor isnt coded - if it was then you could swap it for a sensor for which you have a matching key and bingo - hotwire city.

The only "coded" parts of the immobiliser and the key and the ecu. So the only way to defeat it is to either swap the ecu or find some way of stealing and replicating the key codes. Both require a fair bit of technology and arent going to happen easily.
Another option might be see if you can get from a wrecked bike that has ecu and keys.

Ok - you can steal the actual key and these days that is a big risk. I leave a spare honda key near the door of my place where I keep some other keys. It isnt for my bike - but if someone does break in and think oh I got the key it will take them a few minutes to work out its not just a bit sticky but the wrong key. Hopefully any low life at that point will think they have risked enough time and will scamper. I know also padlock the garage door from the inside, Ive had someone break into my garage not via the door!
post #13 of 19 Old 09-02-2007, 4:02 AM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknose View Post
I leave a spare honda key near the door of my place where I keep some other keys. It isnt for my bike - but if someone does break in and think oh I got the key it will take them a few minutes to work out its not just a bit sticky but the wrong key. Hopefully any low life at that point will think they have risked enough time and will scamper.
That's a pretty neat idea :-)
I have a pile of Suzuki, Honda and Kawasaki keys on my key rack and one lone Yamaha key. Strangely I don't have one for my 929 as it's permanently in the ignition switch under the tank :-)

post #14 of 19 Old 08-10-2010, 10:49 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Searched and found bugger all since it appears US bikes don't get the HISS system?
A mate picked up an '04 1000RR wreck today to build to race next season.
It's got no ignition or instruments or the HISS sensor.
If US bikes don't have HISS can we simply fit a US ECM so the system doesn't even know it's supposed to have HISS?
I know this is an ancient thread but for anyone else with this problem is still gonna find it on google so this answer is for THEM - I lost the last key to my New Zealand spec '04 CBR1000RR and only then realised you need at least one key in order to be able to program a new one into the ECU.

As the US bikes are non-HISS I downloaded the US and non-US wiring diagrams and realised I just had to jump two pins, so bought a non-calif ECU off eBay.

I jumpted the pins by crudely positioning a short piece of wire in the holder and fitting the ecu, and that 'temporary' fix is neary 3 years old now

Rumours they make 6ps more with the US ECU may well be true because it FELT stronger, but perhaps it was because I'd read that already , plus it'd been off the road for a couple of months.

I put it all in a document with photos so if anyone's really stuck they can PM or email me and convince me they didn't steal their's

Cheers,
Geoff.
Wellington, New Zealand.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-10-2010, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by infieldg View Post
As the US bikes are non-HISS I downloaded the US and non-US wiring diagrams and realised I just had to jump two pins, so bought a non-calif ECU off eBay.

I jumpted the pins by crudely positioning a short piece of wire in the holder and fitting the ecu, and that 'temporary' fix is neary 3 years old now

This is already documented here in another thread but it never hurts to double up the knowledge :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page