929rr odd problem - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 09-04-2007, 4:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929rr odd problem

Rode the bike for a few hours 2day. Got off the bike for about 45mins. cranked the bike, it ran for a sec and shut off. Oddly i couldnt manage to crank it again. So i take the seat off and check fuses (all were good). Long story short......If i wiggle my gas tank and make the gas tank ground on the frame, the fuel pump will cut on. If the tank is not grounded, the fuel pump does not cut on...I traced the fuel pump ground, it is good....Any ideas on what could make it do something this weird....keep in mind, i rode it and got off of it, then it started doing this....=-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-04-2007, 2:00 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Re: 929rr odd problem

How did you check it?
The ground in the connector that goes to the main harness should have good ground. The fuel pump ground should not show a ground unless it is connected to the harness.

Ride Red

Last edited by nedro; 09-04-2007 at 3:36 PM.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-06-2007, 1:27 AM

i had a similar problem when i first put the 954 motor and wiring in my bike. i had to splice the 929 taillight harness end onto the 954 harness because it has 2 bulbs instead of the 1. anyways, it ended up that one of the green ground wires that i spliced had to touch against another green splice joint to make the fuel pump turn on. hard to explain, but the bike would cut out while riding and wiggling the taillight harness would make the pump turn back on. i ended up running a jumper wire so all the grounds were spliced together and she works fine now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-06-2007, 4:54 AM Thread Starter

All in all, the bike is killing in gear instantly. Ive even tried shifting from neutral to 2nd gear and it does the same thing. I jus cant think of what the hell is causing the problem (that i havent checked)...I was told the gear shift indicator (maybe). But in neutral i have a green N light on the gauge. When i shift to 1st the light goes away but the bike dies. So my guess is the gear shift indicator is working properly....Im running outta ideas.......=-)
post #5 of 18 Old 09-06-2007, 1:06 PM

i shoulda read your question better. it is your kickstand switch. it's either no good or out of adjustment or it is all gunked up with chain lube. follow the wire back to where it plugs in to the harness and unplug it. this will fix your problem, just be careful to put your kickstand back up before you take off. if you are forgetful, replace the switch.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-06-2007, 2:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywire4130 View Post
i shoulda read your question better. it is your kickstand switch. it's either no good or out of adjustment or it is all gunked up with chain lube. follow the wire back to where it plugs in to the harness and unplug it. this will fix your problem, just be careful to put your kickstand back up before you take off. if you are forgetful, replace the switch.
Oddly enough, i have no safety switches at all connected on the bike. I even traced the kick stand switch back to the plug. The wires at the pulg are still twisted together at that point. So the bike thinks the circuit is always closed. Which means it thinks the kickstand is always up. But the bike still kills in gear right now....=-)
post #7 of 18 Old 09-06-2007, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSpEcT View Post
All in all, the bike is killing in gear instantly. Ive even tried shifting from neutral to 2nd gear and it does the same thing. I jus cant think of what the hell is causing the problem (that i havent checked)...I was told the gear shift indicator (maybe). But in neutral i have a green N light on the gauge. When i shift to 1st the light goes away but the bike dies. So my guess is the gear shift indicator is working properly....Im running outta ideas.......=-)
This tells me that your fuel pump is grounding through the neutral light. That is why it shuts off when you take it out of gear. When you checked the pump ground circuit, was the bike in neutral???

Ride Red
post #8 of 18 Old 09-06-2007, 6:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
This tells me that your fuel pump is grounding through the neutral light. That is why it shuts off when you take it out of gear. When you checked the pump ground circuit, was the bike in neutral???
Understandable, but the fuel pump keeps running even after the bike dies (sounds crazy i know). When i regrounded my fuel pump, i grounded it to a bolt on the frame near the back of the gas tank. Because i didnt want the ground coming lose anytime soon. The fuel pump on this 929 has always stayed on like a constant prime (meaning u always hear it pumping). Odd part now is, when the bike dies while shifting in gear, the fuel pump still stays on....=-)
post #9 of 18 Old 09-06-2007, 6:32 PM

O.K., then it is not fuel. The only thing left is the ignition. Maybe with all of the sensors disconnected and bypassed, the ground to the kill switch has been compremised.
It still sounds like the kickstand switch (I mean circuit).

Ride Red
post #10 of 18 Old 09-06-2007, 8:05 PM Thread Starter

If it had anything to do with the kill switch, the bike wouldnt even crank. The bike has no problem cranking and running all day long in Neutral. But when u find ANY gear, it dies instantly. Fuel pump can still be heard running, but the bike just kills over.....=-)

Keep in mind this happened instantly. Rode the bike about an hour or so. Parked it for 45mins. Got on it and blam, this problem occurs.....=-)
post #11 of 18 Old 09-06-2007, 8:11 PM

The nuetral switch has to do at least two things. It gives you the light. But it also will cut the engine if the kickstand is down in gear. Recheck that entire system. I don't have a 954 manual and don't know if it is the same as the 929. Does the kickstand circuit stay open or closed durring normal engine operation when the stand is up? (I know the switch has been removed, but the circuit is still relavent)

Ride Red
post #12 of 18 Old 09-06-2007, 8:15 PM Thread Starter

Circuit open will mean (stand is down) and bike doesnt run. Circuit closed means stand is up and bike runs (hense this is why i have the wires twisted together from the ECU at the plug)....=-)
post #13 of 18 Old 09-07-2007, 3:57 AM

what a mess!!! the kickstand switch circuit is the only thing that will kill the bike instantly when you shift out of neutral. i think the fuel pump issue is something unrelated. you should seriously consider a new wiring harness. also, your twisted wires may be suspect, i would solder and heat shrink them if you are gonna run without the switch connected. the 929 and 954 wiring (for the kickstand switch circuit) are identical, there are a few differences but nothing that will cause the problem you're having. the schematics for a 929 should get you rolling if they are available. best of luck!
post #14 of 18 Old 09-07-2007, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywire4130 View Post
what a mess!!! the kickstand switch circuit is the only thing that will kill the bike instantly when you shift out of neutral. i think the fuel pump issue is something unrelated. you should seriously consider a new wiring harness. also, your twisted wires may be suspect, i would solder and heat shrink them if you are gonna run without the switch connected. the 929 and 954 wiring (for the kickstand switch circuit) are identical, there are a few differences but nothing that will cause the problem you're having. the schematics for a 929 should get you rolling if they are available. best of luck!
Yeah new wiring harness is gonna happen (soon), LoL. The KS switch is definately what im looking at, as far as whats causing the problem. I've just retraced that wire about 500x's and i cant find the problem....But im sure in time i'll figure it out. Or someone will come up with another idea, LoL....=-)
post #15 of 18 Old 09-07-2007, 11:37 AM

You traced the wires as in you took a meter to both ends of the harness and there was continuity? Just asking.

Ride Red

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page