cant get my axel out - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 3:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

cant get my axel out

I cant get this rear axle to come out I dont want to fudge up the threads...Any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 3:33 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Re: cant get my axel out

block of wood and a hammer.

Ride Red
post #3 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 3:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
block of wood and a hammer.
I tried that and the wood just goes insidde the axle.I manage to get it about a inch out so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 3:38 PM

Then you should be able to put a wrench on the flat parts of the axil flange (the side without the nut). Try to spin the axil to see if that loosens it up. Do you suspect a bent axil? Or do you suspect corrosion?

Ride Red
post #5 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 3:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Then you should be able to put a wrench on the flat parts of the axil flange (the side without the nut). Try to spin the axil to see if that loosens it up. Do you suspect a bent axil? Or do you suspect corrosion?
i can actually spin it by hand.I guess that would lean more towards bent
post #6 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 3:52 PM

No, that would mean that it is corroded (I just can't spell). Because the wheel naturally spins on a stationary axil. Drench it down with a solvent like liquid wrench, NOT WD-40. And just keep at it. Also work it back and forth (in and out) to loosen it up.

Ride Red
post #7 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 3:53 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Did you do something to suspect it's bent? I'd think you'd have to hit a pretty big pothole, not that NJ isn't full of them! After removing the nut, I use a rubber mallet to whack it out, then I can grab onto it on the other side and pull it out. I prop some boards under the wheel to take the pressure off, that helps it slide out better. Did you grease it last time you put it in? I always clean it and put a fresh thin coat of BelRay waterproof grease on it.

On the front wheel, just the mallet isn't enough to push it through enough for me to grab onto it. I get a deep socket that is just a bit smaller than the axle, put it up against the axle, and use the rubber mallet again. That may work on the rear, too.

Good luck!
post #8 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 3:54 PM

I live in California. I take the nut off, hold the wheel with one hand and remove the axil with the other.

Ride Red
post #9 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 4:04 PM

Quote:
I live in California. I take the nut off, hold the wheel with one hand and remove the axil with the other.
Actually, I do, too, even in this humidity. Well, my prop-with-board technique helps! You should see me putting the rear wheel back on if I have no one around to help! I get a couple of 2x4s and use them as leverage to lift the rear up. I swear, you need 3 pair of hands to keep the spacers where they belong, the brake caliper in place, wheel up, and axle slid in.
Probably helps that I religiously clean and lube the axle every time I take the wheels off, which is at least once a year.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 4:08 PM

I hate putting that rear wheel on! I usually end up putting my clinched fist under the tire so I don't wear out my arm. That way I have plenty of time to fiddle around with the spacer/caliper.

Ride Red
post #11 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 5:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
No, that would mean that it is corroded (I just can't spell). Because the wheel naturally spins on a stationary axil. Drench it down with a solvent like liquid wrench, NOT WD-40. And just keep at it. Also work it back and forth (in and out) to loosen it up.
I already whipped out the wd40 ...I have around 4inches exposed on the left side and still cant get it out.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 5:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Did you do something to suspect it's bent? I'd think you'd have to hit a pretty big pothole, not that NJ isn't full of them! After removing the nut, I use a rubber mallet to whack it out, then I can grab onto it on the other side and pull it out. I prop some boards under the wheel to take the pressure off, that helps it slide out better. Did you grease it last time you put it in? I always clean it and put a fresh thin coat of BelRay waterproof grease on it.

On the front wheel, just the mallet isn't enough to push it through enough for me to grab onto it. I get a deep socket that is just a bit smaller than the axle, put it up against the axle, and use the rubber mallet again. That may work on the rear, too.

Good luck!
I really cant remember if I did the grease thing last time it was off but I looks as If I didnt put it on.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 7:12 PM

Quote:
I hate putting that rear wheel on! I usually end up putting my clinched fist under the tire so I don't wear out my arm. That way I have plenty of time to fiddle around with the spacer/caliper.
I prop a 2x4 (maybe 4 feet long) on the end of the pit bull stand, the part that's on the floor, so it acts as a fulcrum. I use another block if necessary. The end of the 2x4 is under the rear wheel. Then I sit on the other end, and that lifts up the end under the wheel, like a see-saw. I probably look completely ridiculous but it works if I have no one around. That way, both my hands are free to juggle the spacers, caliper, and axle.

bjay, hope you get that axle out soon, that sux!
post #14 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 8:06 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

To put wheels in I sit on my butt in front of the wheel with my feet either side of the tyre and use my feet to nudge the wheel up and down to get the axle through.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #15 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 8:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
I prop a 2x4 (maybe 4 feet long) on the end of the pit bull stand, the part that's on the floor, so it acts as a fulcrum. I use another block if necessary. The end of the 2x4 is under the rear wheel. Then I sit on the other end, and that lifts up the end under the wheel, like a see-saw. I probably look completely ridiculous but it works if I have no one around. That way, both my hands are free to juggle the spacers, caliper, and axle.

bjay, hope you get that axle out soon, that sux!
Thanx HGT theres not much riding time left and I need a new tire.I was on rt 519 & 6 and my bike was all over the place

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page