Ink all under my tail - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 10-18-2003, 2:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Re: Ink all under my tail

So I ride for only 40 miles today and then wipe down the bike tonight. I looked at my rear license plate and undertail and found pen ink (blue) all over the place. Then coincidentally I look down at my tire and see what I believed was a nail and thougt great, just shoot me now because I'm pissed.

Guess I ran over a friggin ink pen at some point and the tip broke off in the rear tire. The undertail cleaned up but contact cleaner and kerosene can't get ink off the license plate. Any suggestions? Looks like I'm gettin' a new set of tires early. I'm leaning towards Dunlops.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us;
they can't get away from us this time."
- Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-18-2003, 11:51 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Most normal people would simply run over a nail and be done with it... But nooooooooo. The Marine has to run over a pen and get ink all over the place. Why do you guys have to be so difficult?

Kerosene won't take it off, huh? I was gonna say rubbing alcohol or carb cleaner but I don't know if those will work better than kerosene.
post #3 of 22 Old 10-18-2003, 11:56 AM

Crazy story. What are the odds of that happening!?

As for what tires, well, I believe my preferences toward AVON rubber are well documented elsewhere on the board...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 10-18-2003, 12:02 PM

Try nail polish remover? May work...
post #5 of 22 Old 10-18-2003, 12:29 PM

Reputation Power: 42

Quote:
Repsol_69 : Try nail polish remover? May work...
Yes....and you can get it from AVON...right Chain?

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #6 of 22 Old 10-18-2003, 12:40 PM

Lol, good one.
post #7 of 22 Old 10-18-2003, 1:53 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Try Goo-Gone or Goof Off...can't remember which works best on ink.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #8 of 22 Old 10-18-2003, 3:05 PM
TCD

goof off has worked better than goo gone in every instance that i needed such a product.
post #9 of 22 Old 10-18-2003, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Chain : well, I believe my preferences toward AVON rubber are well documented elsewhere on the board...
Yeah, for this month Mr. Indecisive . I will be trying the Avons though .
post #10 of 22 Old 10-18-2003, 4:37 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so I went to the local dealer (would never go there only in this situation I had too as they are close) and bought the Dunlop 207RR's. The message searches gave me the impression they are good tires for my novice street riding skills. In the end, the damage was $418.00!! Of course I replaced both the front and rear as they did have 3,000 miles on them roughly.

Yep, and it was the tip of an ink pen. I didn't want to pull it out until I got there to be on the safe side as if I did it at home, I'd have to load the beast into the truck and that's a pain in the arse. So, as the mechanic slowly pulled it out, I swear it kept coming and coming. Finally, out it was and the hissing started. And I thought I was going to cheat fate and it wasn't going to have been that deep. Man, was I $418.00 wrong! BTW, thanks to all who have given good recommendations on tires on past posts, as always, I'm in good hands with those here at the Org!!

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us;
post #11 of 22 Old 10-18-2003, 7:59 PM

Reputation Power: 17

The D207RRs are great on the track, but a bit much for the street. It is a great tire though, but will wear out pretty quick.
post #12 of 22 Old 10-18-2003, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
ULEWZ : The D207RRs are great on the track, but a bit much for the street. It is a great tire though, but will wear out pretty quick.
I agree and was planning on trying out the 208ZR's. They had only the rear one in stock and not the front though so I went to the 207RR's- a $40 increase as well

I'm one of those here that just has to have the same Brand at the least on both the front and rear.

post #13 of 22 Old 10-19-2003, 1:16 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Hey D-Dog, did you go to Starcycle? They are close to you and normally carry all different types of tires. They raised their prices this year, so I started buying online. Are you planning on going to the Toyota 200 tomorrow? $30 at the gate, and the 250 race starts at noon. If you go, look for the 2003 black/red 954 with a red rear seat and Sargeant front seat. *You might as well take that thing to the track with those tires. Willow Springs Oct 29/03, only $110 for the whole day including lunch, gatoraide, and a T-shirt. Ya can't beat that!

post #14 of 22 Old 10-19-2003, 2:26 AM

Quote:
ULEWZ : Hey D-Dog, did you go to Starcycle? They are close to you and normally carry all different types of tires. They raised their prices this year, so I started buying online. Are you planning on going to the Toyota 200 tomorrow? $30 at the gate, and the 250 race starts at noon. If you go, look for the 2003 black/red 954 with a red rear seat and Sargeant front seat. *You might as well take that thing to the track with those tires. Willow Springs Oct 29/03, only $110 for the whole day including lunch, gatoraide, and a T-shirt. Ya can't beat that!
I think star cycle is closed, at least the store on Soledad is, Its a paint store now. He said dealer, probaly JMG. ANyways, I shall be at WSIR again Sunday, I'll look for you, I'm on an Erion 929 with a tank bag, corbin seat, fireblades.org sticker on the windscreen. If your there early enough, I'll be in the pits wit fellow fireblader Coderedcbr, hes running a 125, #817 I think.

Mike
post #15 of 22 Old 10-19-2003, 2:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
G-Force Junkie : Quote (ULEWZ @ Oct. 18 2003, 9:16pm)Hey D-Dog, did you go to Starcycle? They are close to you and normally carry all different types of tires. They raised their prices this year, so I started buying online. Are you planning on going to the Toyota 200 tomorrow? $30 at the gate, and the 250 race starts at noon. If you go, look for the 2003 black/red 954 with a red rear seat and Sargeant front seat. *You might as well take that thing to the track with those tires. Willow Springs Oct 29/03, only $110 for the whole day including lunch, gatoraide, and a T-shirt. Ya can't beat that!
I think star cycle is closed, at least the store on Soledad is, Its a paint store now. *He said dealer, probaly JMG. *ANyways, I shall be at WSIR again Sunday, I'll look for you, I'm on an Erion 929 with a tank bag, corbin seat, fireblades.org sticker on the windscreen. *If your there early enough, I'll be in the pits wit fellow fireblader Coderedcbr, hes running a 125, #817 I think. *

Mike
Yeah, it was the local ass clown as ya mentioned some time ago. Their selection is limited as in just about anything else I ever need when I decide to go there. Star Cycle is still open and moved on the other end of that strip mall and on the other side. Parking is still crap there when in the cage. I couldn't believe the $75.00/hr labor rate I got taken for at JMG today but have to say I went in when they opened and was out the door in just over an hour thankfully. Haven't tested out my new 207RR's yet but probably won't get them again in the future as I'm finding out they're more suited for the track than my needs. Next time hopefully won't be an urgent situation and I'll lean towards the Avons or B012's again. I liked the B012's.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page