Those of who change own tires..... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 3:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Those of who change own tires.....

What tools or machine do you use?
Where can I buy?
Any info helps........Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 3:56 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I use the Portable tire changer and motorcycle attachment from Harbor Freight. If there is one close to your house go there, because it is cheaper than online. I paid $25.99 for the changer, and $19.99 for the motorcycle attachment. I would also recommend 2 to 4 tire irons and a wheel balancing kit. I use a homemade balancer, so I can't help you there. Tire changer and Motorcycle changer

post #3 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 4:36 PM

Reputation Power: 20

How much are balancing kits and where would you find one?

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 4:36 PM

cheap balancer here: www.tireqwik.com
post #5 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 4:48 PM

I use the Tirequik balancer too.

Got my tire machine from Wikco for less than $400 delivered. Easy enough to get the rubber off of the rim but I don't have the knack of getting the last bit of the 2nd bead back on. That's on my 'to do' list for the winter.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 7:31 PM

Bought the tire changer from Wicko also. save yor money and buy the one from Harbor tool. Wish I would have seen the changer at Harbor tool first, looks indenical to the Wicko machine.Build your own balancer. i bought the expensive balancer after making my own, thouhgt it would be better, another waste of money.My home made one worked just as good as the expensive one. just my 2 cents.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 8:33 PM

Quote:
oldgoat : Bought the tire changer from Wicko also. save yor money and buy the one from Harbor tool. Wish I would have seen the changer at Harbor tool first, looks indenical to the Wicko machine.Build your own balancer. i bought the expensive balancer after making my own, thouhgt it would be better, another waste of money.My home made one worked just as good as the expensive one. just my 2 cents.
Got any pics of your homemade balancer? I tried to make one using some caster wheels (w/o bearings) but with the weight of the wheel it doesn't roll. So I've just been using a rod from the changer and my rear stand. It works ok but not as good as I would like.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-17-2003, 3:45 PM

Changing and balancing.
Is this something that can be done with minimal amount of mechanical ability? Safely? I don't want to pay between $50 and $80 per tire everytime I need new rubber.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-17-2003, 4:22 PM

Reputation Power: 42

Quote:
02FBlade : I tried to make one using some caster wheels (w/o bearings) but with the weight of the wheel it doesn't roll.
Buy a set of rollerblade bearings...the type without dust seals.... they work great...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #10 of 19 Old 10-17-2003, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Baketech : Quote (02FBlade @ Oct. 16 2003, 6:33pm)I tried to make one using some caster wheels (w/o bearings) but with the weight of the wheel it doesn't roll.
Buy a set of rollerblade bearings...the type without dust seals.... they work great...
Yeah, get the ABEC-5 rated ones.
post #11 of 19 Old 10-17-2003, 9:02 PM

Quote:
02FBlade : Quote (oldgoat @ Oct. 16 2003, 5:31pm)Bought the tire changer from Wicko also. save yor money and buy the one from Harbor tool. Wish I would have seen the changer at Harbor tool first, looks indenical to the Wicko machine.Build your own balancer. i bought the expensive balancer after making my own, thouhgt it would be better, another waste of money.My home made one worked just as good as the expensive one. just my 2 cents.
Got any pics of your homemade balancer? I tried to make one using some caster wheels (w/o bearings) but with the weight of the wheel it doesn't roll. So I've just been using a rod from the changer and my rear stand. *It works ok but not as good as I would like.
Latest version available at: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html.

try this link a lot of good infor for the do it yourselfer
post #12 of 19 Old 10-17-2003, 9:07 PM

www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html

try this
post #13 of 19 Old 10-17-2003, 9:17 PM

Remove the period from the end of that link and it will work
post #14 of 19 Old 10-26-2003, 2:19 AM

I picked up a big ol' tire changer from America's Tire Company for $200. *It's pneumatic powered and awesome.

Made my own static balancer with some 2X4s and 1/2' bar stock. *Cost me $5 or so.

CBRSHO, if you have the right equipment, and removing your own wheels is a pretty easy task for you, changing your tires should not be too bad. What you need to realize is there is a tremendous amount of force involved in changing tires, both in de-mounting and mounting, as well as breaking and seating the beads. If you make an error and apply the force at the wrong time, in the wrong direction, or apply too much force, bad things can happen.

I watched at the guys who were changing my tires at the tire shops, and decided that I was just as capable as they were, and probably a little bit smarter. So, I got the equipment, asked a lot of advice and went for it. I've long since lost count of how many tires I've changed, and never had a problem.

post #15 of 19 Old 10-26-2003, 10:52 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
HondaGal : Easy enough to get the rubber off of the rim but I don't have the knack of getting the last bit of the 2nd bead back on. *That's on my 'to do' list for the winter.
This is not as hard as it first may seem. I usually have a friend assist. Put on lots of soapy water (dishwashing liquid and water works good), and start working around the tire with tire irons until it gets hard. At this point, push down on the tire 180 degrees from the tire irons until the tire bead goes into the center of the rim (this gives you more clearance as the rim is deeper there). I continue to repeatedly push on the tire until the bead is all the way into the center, then it is easy to use the tire irons to finish the job. I also find that putting pressure on the tire with the tire irons while pushing in the tire bead keeps the tire from popping out of the center of the rim. In a nut shell, you will know if you have done it right if the last bit of tire to seat is only about 6-8 inches. If it is larger, push down on the tire 180 degrees out to gain clearance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page