Another Rider Down - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-17-2003, 1:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Another Rider Down

not a close friend, but i rode with him ocassionally.
http://www.modbee.com/local/story/75...-8507340c.html

My mother called me to tell me about it (trying to remind me to get rid of it again) and i saw the name and have just been in shock.

R.I.P. Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-21-2003, 1:09 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Interesting.
Curious to know how they determined that skid marks translated to 100mph. On a car you can do that. On a bike going at 100mph, there's no way you can lock the front. If it was the rear tire, then heck, you can slide it for a long time even at 50mph, especially if your in a hard deceleration with the front brake. There's no weight left on the rear. It'll just skim along.

Seemed to me that a bike going 100mph is going to look a lot worse after t-boning a car.

Just a thought.

But it's a sad news.

Seeker
<a href="http://pages.infinit.net/mcrides" target="_blank">http://pages.infinit.net/mcrides</a>
post #3 of 8 Old 10-21-2003, 2:08 AM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! OK, uncle, I have had enough! Good God, this site is beginning to resemble the obituary page! I am truly sorry to hear of your friend's death - just beginning to get really bummed about reading of so many deaths recently .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-21-2003, 3:34 AM Thread Starter

Your right, if he was going 100 mph, there would be alot more damage to that bike. It wasnt even his bike, its a professional racers bike (who i shouldnt name) and i dont even think he had any street legal stuff on it. I know he had a nitrous bottle in the trunk. I drove by his familes house Saturday night, but didnt have the guts to stop by. I dont really know them. I think I will just get them a card and tell them that even people on the net that didnt know him send their condolances. We are all going there one day, he just went before his time at 25.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-21-2003, 9:14 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Sorry to hear about your friend man. I too, am skeptical about the claimed 100mph. The front tire isn't even blown, If anything he may have stood the bike up on the nose and smashed the top of it into the side of the car, but that's very hard to do at 100mph. The tire would probably just slide right out from underneath him and cause him to lowside.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-21-2003, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Djice -

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, and I'm sorry for his family and friends. This sport is dangerous enough without complicating the survival equation with excessive speed, intersections, and clueless cage drivers.

As for the accident forensics, I'm not an expert, but IF he were going 100 mph, he would have been travelling at 146 feet per second, which would have put him in an impact zone at 500 feet in about 3.5 seconds if he wouldn't have braked. * So, like they tell us in MSF school, it takes 1/2 second to react, and 1/2 second to apply the brakes. Now he's about 350 feet away as he begins to decellerate) If he jammed on both brakes, he might not have instantly locked up, but he probably would have eventually.(rear wheel would lock or hop with weight transfer, and it IS possible to lock the front- I've done it momentarily at between 60 and 80)

I seem to recall that sport bikes stop from 60 mph in about 160 feet--- It seems to me he should have had enough room to stop or significantly slow down, unless the cage driver is 'wrong' ( or 'lying' ) about the initial distance.

Anyway, that's all speculation. For those of us who survive and ride, please save the speed for the track........

post #7 of 8 Old 10-21-2003, 9:30 PM Thread Starter

I called the CHP office in that area and they said they could only give information to the parties involved. I wanted to find out who was to blame. Im sure not going to ask his family about it.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-21-2003, 10:05 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via MSN to GhostRider

Car drivers can not correctly assess an oncoming bike's speed. They think they can make the turn and subsequently end up cutting off (or killing) the rider in most cases.

Sorry to hear of this tragedy.

Bikes and women - both have nice curves.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page