Engine case - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-17-2003, 5:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via Yahoo to firedawgon929
Re: Engine case

Is it possible to repair/weld the housing around the alternator? This would be the only thing that would keep the 929 repairable within my price range.

Larger picture.

No matter how beautiful a woman may be, some man somewhere is sick of her sh!t.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-17-2003, 5:27 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Ouch... yeah, it looks repairable, but not easy
post #3 of 10 Old 10-17-2003, 6:49 PM

A good tig welder could do it. The challenge will be to get the case flat enough to seal once it's welded up, as the process will slightly distort the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-17-2003, 9:28 PM

JB Weld?
post #5 of 10 Old 10-18-2003, 1:46 PM
Fig

You gotta love it when the resident machinist recommends JB Weld.. Mike could probably fabricate an exact replica of the missing piece that you could JB Weld back on.
Fig
post #6 of 10 Old 10-18-2003, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Fig : You gotta love it when the resident machinist recommends JB Weld.. *Mike could probably fabricate an exact replica of the missing piece that you could JB Weld back on.
Fig
I've done that on an alternator cover before...

post #7 of 10 Old 10-18-2003, 8:48 PM

Quote:
luvtolean : Quote (Fig @ Oct. 18 2003, 12:46pm)You gotta love it when the resident machinist recommends JB Weld.. *Mike could probably fabricate an exact replica of the missing piece that you could JB Weld back on.
Fig
I've done that on an alternator cover before...
...I did it to XR200 case and it lasted the next 8 years I owned it Seriously, its going to be a bitch to weld that, even if you have the piece.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-19-2003, 4:29 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via Yahoo to firedawgon929

I don't have the piece. I'm thinking rectangulate the chunk missing and welding the piece in it's place. So I'd be looking for a machine shop somewhere? What's a good place to find a real good welder?

No matter how beautiful a woman may be, some man somewhere is sick of her sh!t.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-19-2003, 5:25 AM

Your problem is its still assembled. Most welders probaly wont tant to touch it. And I doubt you want to strip the cases down, which is what should be done so you can not only heat it evenly and not worry about melting seals, bearings falling out when the hot case expands, warping the dozens of machined surfaces, etc. If you do find someone willing to tackle it, its going to be under the understanding that they can give you no guarantee it will work, and the case may get trashed in the process. That the only way I would touch it. Not only are you dealing with a complex piece, its also cast aluminum, soaked in oil, which is a whole pain in the ass its self. Indeed, you will need to cut out a piece to fill that gap, it probaly had a bolt hole in it? To recreate that properaly you would either have to machine and tap a piece and find a way to hold it in position while its welded which is very difficult. Better option is to weld something in there wide enought to drill and tap after the fact. The next big hassle as Abtec noted, it that a machined surface the gasket seated on before, your new piece is going to have to be perfect to seal. The right way is to split the cases, weld on your piece with it overhanging, then secure the case in a mill and machine the surface even with the other original surfaces. And hope the other surfaces arnt warped. For welders, you need someone really good at TIG welding Aluminum, preferably someone that has done avation welding and are used to dealing with welding aluminum castings and has full machine shop capabilities. I hate to be a downer, bit if that was my bike, I doubt I would even try and fix it
post #10 of 10 Old 10-19-2003, 12:34 PM

Looks like the same break I had last year. Remove the flywheel and take it to 'the frame man' in Sacramento. They'll also need a good case cover to get the right alignment. They welding mine up last year for about $300. They couldn't gaurantee that it wouldn't leak but I had no problems. They had to cut away some of the old casting and reform the case w/ new aluminum. They also had to machine a new bolt grommet thingy. Turned out really good. I'll post some pics if I can find some.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page