954 wont start - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-21-2007, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954 wont start

Hi,

I have a 954 which has been getting more and more difficult to start. For the first few attempts its as if there's no fuel being sent at all. Then after a few more one of the cylinders starts to cough and splutter. A few more again and two or three cylinders splutter and if I'm lucky after that, the engine starts and everything is fine. When its mis-behaved like this it generally starts ok (first or second press of the button) the next day.

Today I tried to start it after the bike has stood for three weeks and no joy. I ran the battery down trying to start the bike for about ten minutes. I then used jump-leads from my car but still failed to get the engine going. I never got past the "one cylinder occasionally coughing and spluttering" phase.

The fuel's young, the spark is good. I've read elsewhere on this forum that a diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator might be the problem. Is there anyway I can check? Is it an easy/cheap job to change the regulator?

Cheers
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-24-2007, 7:22 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Re: 954 wont start

If it was the fuel reg it would not run right anytime. It kinda sounds like a vacuum leak in the fuel system. If you have a vacuum leak the fuel would not stay pressurized and you would have to wait for it to reach enough pressure to fire. One way to test this theory is to turn the ignition on and off several times to allow the fuel pump to build pressure before you try to start it. If it starts the check fuel system( fuel rail, injector seats, hoses) for a leak.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-25-2007, 6:53 AM Thread Starter

Its beaten me. The dealer is looking at it now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-26-2007, 2:20 PM

I would have started by replacing the plugs, then checked for trouble codes stored.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page