Bang For Buck/Simplicity Performance Mods? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 10-24-2007, 5:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Bang For Buck/Simplicity Performance Mods?

I'm somewhat new to the bike world, have owned two bikes('00 929 now a '02 954) within only a few months so I'm light on knowledge of what it takes to make a bike go-fast. I grew up fixing Camaro's and making little hotrods out of them, but obviously not everything translates from cars to bikes. I'm not talking about replacing/rebuilding the motor or putting nitrous or something on it, just some good all-around modifications that aren't a two week job to have installed. I'm not looking to build a race bike, just some stuff to improve the bike a little.

Like, for example, with cars... putting some headers and exhaust is a good start, then maybe some rear gears, subframe connectors/suspension, etc. I know exhaust is one of the easiest upgrades for a bike(have that, a D&D exhaust), but what's after that? What's good for the money, and to somewhat easily be installed? Some stuff I may know how to do, but I'm not famililar enough with how bikes come apart so most stuff will be done by shop. Thought I'd ask to get some ideas and price ideas and see what's really worth doing and what's not worth doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-24-2007, 5:54 PM

Re: Bang For Buck/Simplicity Performance Mods?

-1 front sproket or +2/+3 rear one!

new tyres.

lots of riding to learn your bike.
post #3 of 27 Old 10-24-2007, 8:43 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
-1 front sproket or +2/+3 rear one!

new tyres.

lots of riding to learn your bike.
A gearing change is the best bang for the buck. I also did -1 in the front, +1 in the rear (15 teeth front, 44 rear. Stock is 16/43). It really woke up the bike.

If you want to add more horsepower without getting into engine mods, the best is to get a full exhaust system, either Arata or Hindle, and a Powercommander. Then get a custom map made. This added around 10-12 hp to my 929 and really smoothed out the throttle response.

Is the suspension still stock? The 929/954 have crappy stock suspensions. For the rear shock, an Ohlins or Penske (about $900 or so) with the correct spring for your weight is the way to go. Best thing to do with the forks is to send them to Dan Kyle (Page 1) and have him put in the correct spring for your weight, and revalve them. The fork work he does is a bargain at around $450, including the springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 10-24-2007, 9:09 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I think the best bang for the buck mod is SS Brake Lines. Immediate, recognizable, and very valuable gains for under $150. Looks better too.
post #5 of 27 Old 10-24-2007, 9:32 PM

Is the suspension still stock? The 929/954 have crappy stock suspensions. For the rear shock, an Ohlins or Penske (about $900 or so) with the correct spring for your weight is the way to go. Best thing to do with the forks is to send them to Dan Kyle (Page 1) and have him put in the correct spring for your weight, and revalve them. The fork work he does is a bargain at around $450, including the springs.[/quote]

On what HGT said about suspension. That's one of the biggest improvements you can make for everyday riding. SS lines are also great and inexpensive.
post #6 of 27 Old 10-25-2007, 2:36 AM

Reputation Power: 14

+1 for brake lines, but you just seem to want power. If you want power, as mentioned, full exhaust, air filter, power commander, velocity stacks, dyno. Sprockets/gearing changes don't add hp or torque.
post #7 of 27 Old 10-25-2007, 4:54 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
A gearing change is the best bang for the buck. I also did -1 in the front, +1 in the rear (15 teeth front, 44 rear. Stock is 16/43). It really woke up the bike.
With a +1 -1 mod, can you keep the stock chain length?
post #8 of 27 Old 10-25-2007, 5:03 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
With a +1 -1 mod, can you keep the stock chain length?
Yup. Although, if your current chain has a lot of miles on it, I'd hesitate to put in new sprockets. The chain and sprockets should all be changed together. I believe you can also do -1 front, +2 rear with the stock chain length. My chain had only a few thousand miles so I just threw on the new sprockets.
post #9 of 27 Old 10-25-2007, 6:13 AM

Reputation Power: 13

since it sounds like you are somewhat mechanically inclined i would recommend you go buy a service manual. This will allow you to do 90% of the work yourself, save you ass loads of money and youll know it was done right. Go fast goodies like gearing changes, full exhaust, power commanders, air filters, etc. are simple to do especially with a manual.

for -1,+1 on gearing.

good luck
post #10 of 27 Old 10-25-2007, 8:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

All the about, but be warned some people on here will tell you PCiii, etc will make your Blade unreliable - imo ignore them and have fun!

I've PCiii (bespoke map), BMC filter, Blueflame end can, SS hoses, -1 on front sprocket. Consider a speedo healer if you change the gearing to get your speedo (and mileage) back to where it should be. Just -1 on the front will have the speed overread by 6 or 7 mph at 100mph, mine was a total of 12.6% out so I was reading 66 at 60 real speed and in every 1,000 miles I was clocking up 126 extra miles! Might not sound a lot but you have to work backwards to see when service is due.

best /$? sprockets and SS hoses. Get some Speed Bleeders to help you bleed the system too if you do the brake hoses - they will save you time and frustration!
post #11 of 27 Old 10-25-2007, 10:24 AM

Reputation Power: 17

machinehead, you seem to really be stuck on this PCIII thing since this is like the 8th thread you have brought it up in. I went back and read your entire motor mods thread. Not once did anyone say that a PCIII would make it less reliable. What was said was that "motor mods" tend to reduce reliability. In every motorsport circle that I have associated with "motor mods" generally means internal modification. And if not done correctly tend to reduce reliability for performance. No one that I know would count a PCIII as a "motor mod." It is a bolt on modification that has been proven thousands of times over.
post #12 of 27 Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 AM
RCW

Reputation Power: 13

Hi,

I know the cheapest and best mods. are as follows:

for acceleration performance: sprockets. If you are a street rider, you will never need more. an end can is good for the fun of the sound. I got a fllawless Two Brothers Aluminium for $150. riding is all about the fun and the power and sound anyway..... All others are big money and very little bang for the buck.... though nice if you have the money..... just $75 or so for sprockets. and you can find them used on Ebay sometimes. I got mine for $20 in great shape.... Summary: sprockets - $75, pipe $150 = $225

for suspension performance - this improves your speed more than anything except riding skill: front springs (929/954 the Ohlins drops right in... easy) and tires, tires tires... I got Bridgestones BT014 and love them.... esp. over the Pilot Powers I had before. the confidence factor alone makes you tons faster. stock rear shock is decent and can wait... if anything, just a correct spring rate from Race Tech for about $110. shock replacement is big money, but worth it if you can afford. I waited/looked around on Ebay for 8 months till I got an Ohlins triple clicker used for $550. Summary: springs front and back for $220 total, tires about $250 = $475.

finally, steel brake lines helps a bit, though a 954 has great brakes stock, esp. the calipers and pads from Honda. Do front only, you will never need or notice rear. Summary: steel lines for $75 or so.

Grand total: under $800.... and you have 95% of what you need.
post #13 of 27 Old 10-26-2007, 11:04 PM
-Z-

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via AIM to -Z-

I guess a lot of it depends on what you mean by "make it go fast." Personally, I already consider both my 929 and my 954 to be pretty damn fast...

If you want to go fast in a straight line, extended swingarm w/stock 190/50 will let you really let it rip. And of course, Power Commander, K&N air filter, FULL exhaust, velocity stacks. Then of course there is weight loss...the lighter the bike, the greater the acceleration. Oh wait, everyone already knew that.

Now, for going fast any way but straight, I'd say suspension would be #1. Power Commander #2, just because a proper map can make a huge difference in smoothness of the power band.
post #14 of 27 Old 10-27-2007, 7:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Cam929 - don't forget to post what mods you decide on and the results you get, value for $'s too.

Sickwill - I'm just bored with narrowminded people spouting BS!
post #15 of 27 Old 10-30-2007, 11:38 AM

Reputation Power: 16

+1 on the SS lines.

+1 on the 929/954 stock rear shock. it really sucks. i set it softer, it handles so badly. set it harder, it steers n turns in better but it gives me really bad cramps on my leg. it just feels incomplete without the ohlins.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page