Crankcase damage . . . repairable? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-27-2007, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Crankcase damage . . . repairable?

Finally took some photos of the damage created when I lowsided my 929 a couple of weeks back. One can see the hairline fracture on the crankcase bearing support and to the dowel support. I have had the bike into my mechanic and supposedly it can be repaired. The motor will have to be pulled and stripped down then sent off to a machinist/welder specializing in aluminum repairs. Figured I would post the photos for some opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1843.jpg‎   DSCN1844.jpg‎   DSCN1845.jpg‎   DSCN1846.jpg‎  

DSCN1847.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 6:15 PM

Re: Crankcase damage . . . repairable?

Looks to be repairable
post #3 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 8:17 PM Thread Starter

Can the lower portion of the engine be dropped rather than taking out the entire unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-29-2007, 8:39 AM

Reputation Power: 36

Sorry to hear about the damage FreshTracks. That doesn't look to me like normal lowside damage. The heads of the other bolts on the cover aren't even grinded. Plus the way the dowel is bent back looks like it may have hit something. Was there anything unusual about the way your bike went down?
First I thought the repair may be able to be done on the bike but the cracks may be troublesome to repair. I would take it to a welding shop that does aluminum repairs before you disassemble everything. It's always easier for someone to say take it all apart because it doesn't affect them. If it ends up having to be disassembled, maybe you're better off finding other cases at that point or a used engine. Good Luck!
post #5 of 10 Old 10-29-2007, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzee View Post
Sorry to hear about the damage FreshTracks. That doesn't look to me like normal lowside damage. The heads of the other bolts on the cover aren't even grinded. Plus the way the dowel is bent back looks like it may have hit something. Was there anything unusual about the way your bike went down?
First I thought the repair may be able to be done on the bike but the cracks may be troublesome to repair. I would take it to a welding shop that does aluminum repairs before you disassemble everything. It's always easier for someone to say take it all apart because it doesn't affect them. If it ends up having to be disassembled, maybe you're better off finding other cases at that point or a used engine. Good Luck!
No, the crash was fairly typical (though it was the first one that I have done). The bike slid out on the rear first and basically it slid itself into the curbside median apx. 20ft away. The tires contacted the curb but it is possible that they (the tires) rode up onto the curb and the next thing to contact was the crankcase. This would account for the dowel being bent backwards. Best reflective reasoning I have.

I had the bike past the speciality welding shop that I will be using and it was their opinion that it was a relatively easy job to do as a repair once the engine was taken down. I have been looking for a new case/gently used engine but no luck anywhere. Honda wants alot of $$$ for a new case + the $$$ to tear down and rebuild by the mechanic.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-29-2007, 12:22 PM

Reputation Power: 36

post #7 of 10 Old 11-01-2007, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTracks View Post
Can the lower portion of the engine be dropped rather than taking out the entire unit?
You're better off taking the entire unit out and going from there. Trust me, reassembly is a pain in the rear if you dont.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-01-2007, 4:36 PM

i had mine weld right in the bike just removed anything in the area that might burn. go see the pros at a fabricating shop that specializes in aluminum
post #9 of 10 Old 07-03-2012, 2:32 PM

Reputation Power: 10

On a related note, what alloy is a 929 sump and crankcase? I have some 4047 rods to weld my subframe mountings and was wondering if I could use them on the fairing mounting on my sump which has snapped off.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929Mercury View Post
On a related note, what alloy is a 929 sump and crankcase? I have some 4047 rods to weld my subframe mountings and was wondering if I could use them on the fairing mounting on my sump which has snapped off.

I would've guessed it'd just be 6060 or whatever version of it they use for casting.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page