Is it harmful? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-31-2007, 7:14 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-30-2007
Location: SE London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59
                     
Is it harmful?

Hi,

I was just wondering if using the 'kill' switch (the red one) harms the engine or anything else if i use it to kill the engine rather than using the key.

I seem to do it normally when its night time as i dont want to wake the neighbours up but need the light to open my garage lock and just had a thought.

Ive never known it to "hurt" the bike, but ive heard of the switch playing up before.

Anyway, i hope you guys are enjoying the rest of autumn, winter is only around the corner
Twincam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 10-31-2007, 7:35 PM
 
Join Date: 07-11-2007
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Is it harmful?

I'd be really surprised if the kill switch would hurt the engine. I think the effect and the results are the same whether you use the key or the switch.
TKDmasterZ is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 10-31-2007, 7:50 PM
 
.OrgOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-16-2007
Age: 54
Posts: 2,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18
       
Re: Is it harmful?

So in the dirt the red button is all you ever use - The KTM for example has an electric start and no key at all, just the botton. To get the bike "active" you need to roll it a little so the started goes live, after a while it times out. Needless to say I don't leave it parked anywhere.
.OrgOwner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 Old 10-31-2007, 9:22 PM
 
Join Date: 02-10-2007
Location: .
Posts: 2,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17
     
Re: Is it harmful?

The manual states that you should always use the key and that the kill switch is only there for emergency shut off. I don't think that it will in any way actually "hurt" the engine. I think that they make the recommendation just so that you aren't draining the battery by leaving things powered up with the engine up.
slickwill is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 10-31-2007, 11:26 PM
 
Join Date: 10-31-2006
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Is it harmful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam View Post
Hi,

I was just wondering if using the 'kill' switch (the red one) harms the engine or anything else if i use it to kill the engine rather than using the key.

I seem to do it normally when its night time as i dont want to wake the neighbours up but need the light to open my garage lock and just had a thought.

Ive never known it to "hurt" the bike, but ive heard of the switch playing up before.

Anyway, i hope you guys are enjoying the rest of autumn, winter is only around the corner
it's fine...i do it on my 929
Renegade929 is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 11-01-2007, 3:40 AM
 
Join Date: 03-21-2005
Location: Wiltshire, uk
Age: 52
Posts: 1,164
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20
         
Re: Is it harmful?

it won't hurt it and I can't ever, in over 10 years, remember using the key to switch off the engine. I'm gonna read the handbook later out of curiosity.............
machinehead is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 11-04-2007, 10:02 PM
 
Join Date: 06-16-2007
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Is it harmful?

all the kill switch does is interupt the spark, same as key
bribassguy is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 11-05-2007, 9:00 AM
 
Join Date: 03-21-2005
Location: Wiltshire, uk
Age: 52
Posts: 1,164
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20
         
Re: Is it harmful?

mine just say Engine Stop, nothing about emergency or any some such, so I happily will carry on using it as the engine stop. I cannot see any way it would damage the motor as Bribassguy says it does the same as the key iirc anyway.
machinehead is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 11-05-2007, 9:24 AM
 
Join Date: 01-11-2005
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Is it harmful?

On my older carburated bike, it can blow the packing out of the tailpipe...
dattaway is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 11-05-2007, 3:03 PM
 
Join Date: 03-21-2005
Location: Wiltshire, uk
Age: 52
Posts: 1,164
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20
         
Re: Is it harmful?

kill switch "back-fires"* are soooo cool!!


(* before anyone says anything, they are not strictly back-fires but exploding unburnt fuel in the exhaust, but its a good description all the same!! tooas is great fun)
machinehead is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 11-05-2007, 3:28 PM
 
Join Date: 03-07-2007
Location: Lompoc, California
Age: 48
Posts: 1,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14
 
Re: Is it harmful?

I only use the key, I had a 600 that I used the switch on and the switch wore out. I had to keep playing with the switch til contact was good and the starter would kick in.......

DOH!!!!
SamoanzRR is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 11-05-2007, 4:28 PM
 
CBR929RE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-06-2004
Location: Randolph, MA
Age: 38
Posts: 12,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 39
                 
Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE
Re: Is it harmful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamoanzRR View Post
I only use the key, I had a 600 that I used the switch on and the switch wore out. I had to keep playing with the switch til contact was good and the starter would kick in.......

but once you shut the bike off with the key don't you put the switch back to the off position also? the switch doesn't care if the engine is running or not. its like a light switch, flick it on and off and the light goes on and off. unplug the light and flip the switch on and off. the switch is still making and breaking the connection even if it doesn't have any noticeable affect. your switch probably wore out either because of abuse (not saying anything intentional, could just be rough roads jarring it) or maybe it was defective and just wasn't going to last as long as it should no matter what the usage.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
CBR929RE is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 11-05-2007, 4:56 PM
 
Join Date: 10-16-2007
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Is it harmful?

You really should be using the emergency shut off when you get off the bike as a rule. You will train yourself to stop the engine with the button. When that unfortunate time comes along where your bike is running out of control from a stuck accelerator, your muscle memory will automatically shut the engine down without incident. my 0.02
Mr_RC is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 11-05-2007, 5:50 PM
 
Join Date: 03-07-2007
Location: Lompoc, California
Age: 48
Posts: 1,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14
 
Re: Is it harmful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
but once you shut the bike off with the key don't you put the switch back to the off position also? the switch doesn't care if the engine is running or not. its like a light switch, flick it on and off and the light goes on and off. unplug the light and flip the switch on and off. the switch is still making and breaking the connection even if it doesn't have any noticeable affect. your switch probably wore out either because of abuse (not saying anything intentional, could just be rough roads jarring it) or maybe it was defective and just wasn't going to last as long as it should no matter what the usage.

Yes, but the switch wore out, not too uncommon to hear about this though. it was an older bike but still, i will still use the key to shut the bike down now.

DOH!!!!
SamoanzRR is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 11-05-2007, 5:51 PM
 
Join Date: 03-07-2007
Location: Lompoc, California
Age: 48
Posts: 1,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14
 
Re: Is it harmful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_RC View Post
You really should be using the emergency shut off when you get off the bike as a rule. You will train yourself to stop the engine with the button. When that unfortunate time comes along where your bike is running out of control from a stuck accelerator, your muscle memory will automatically shut the engine down without incident. my 0.02

whoa.....stuck throttles suck!!!! not worried about that on this bike though....

DOH!!!!
SamoanzRR is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
954 swing arm on 929, is it worth it? mag00n Honda FireBlade 4 06-24-2007 6:41 AM
This is ALL I want for Christmas......i mean it...this is it tjstoner General Discussion 18 10-04-2006 11:18 PM
stegen is losing it/has lost it... Bacchus Off-Topic 8 10-12-2005 10:33 AM
Is it a dog toy or is it a marital aid? (Quiz) WetShrub Off-Topic 4 06-16-2004 6:14 PM
Is it just me, or is it Baketech Off-Topic 26 10-23-2003 8:28 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome