Just put Jardine on my 929 sounds Raspy to me - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-03-2007, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Just put Jardine on my 929 sounds Raspy to me

I just bolted on a Jardine RT-One I got second hand from ebay.
I replaced my dinged up Yosh pipe with this.
I like the sound from idle to about 5-7000 RPM (deep mellow) but then it gets kinda raspy when I gun the throttle. Almost like a civic with a coffee can exhaust.

My Yosh pipe was a tad quiter and deeper in all RPM's. I was hoping the Jardine would be similar but now I am not too happy with it. I am actually reluctant to open up the throttle because of the raspy noise. To me it sounds obnoxious.
Has anyone had similar experience with this pipe? Any recommendations for a deep sounding pipe? Maybe the fiberglass needs to be repacked in it . I have never repacked a pipe before so not sure what the symptoms are. The guy who I bought it from said he only put 3000 miles on it. It had a small ding on it thats why he sold it but it was in way better shape then my Yosh.

I also notice that Jardine sells a QMI (QUIET MODULE INSERT) for their exhausts. Does this make it deeper? Or just quiter? I don't mind being loud just don't like the rasp.

"and when I gun the engine I want it to sound like the world is coming to an end" -Homer Simpson

Last edited by ucfmotorcycle1; 11-03-2007 at 1:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-03-2007, 6:47 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: Just put Jardine on my 929 sounds Raspy to me

Probably needs to be repacked. Jardines aren't known to sound like that...

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #3 of 8 Old 11-03-2007, 8:33 PM

Reputation Power: 21

My Micron had a nice sound up high, throaty and mean and definitely not raspy. It was pretty quiet around town unless I wanted to make some noise. I listened to several different pipes on the 929 back when I first bought mine. I thought I wanted an Erion until I heard the guy leave with it.

Two Bros and D&D were too loud for my tastes but were both very throaty. The Hindle sounded good but was a little quiet for me. The Yosh just didn't do it for me although I had one on my Suzuki and it sounded just right. I didn't hear a Jardine. Lucky for me, back in the day, 929's were a dime a dozen at the local bike night and it was easy to spark up a conversation to hear different pipes. I even heard a bike with a car glass pack clamped on....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-03-2007, 9:54 PM

Reputation Power: 16

My jardine isn't raspy (at least to my ears); I like the sound and open the throttle often to hear it (hurray for overpasses).

---

-Rob.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-03-2007, 10:15 PM

Reputation Power: 13

I had a D&D on mine and traded for a 2Bros and the 2Bros is as loud and to me sounds just right.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-04-2007, 1:12 AM Thread Starter

I ordered a repacking kit I'll let you guys know if it fixed the problem.

"and when I gun the engine I want it to sound like the world is coming to an end" -Homer Simpson
post #7 of 8 Old 11-18-2007, 6:47 PM Thread Starter

OK I repacked the pipe and it def sounds better and the way it should be.

I don't know if it was the actual fiberglass packing that was bad. Because the original packing was all there it was just yellow. It may have been something loose in there. In any case taking it all apart and putting it back together made it sound better.

HOWEVER; I would never try to do this again. It was a PITA. These pipes are put together very very tight. They are hard to get apart and even harder to get apart without denting or scratching them. Then they are hard to get back together. I have rebuilt several engines and I am a fairly good mechanic and this was a tough job. Not to mention the fiberglass ends up everywhere.

IF you want a challenging project and your pipe already has a few small dings on it (that don't bother you) then go for it. Otherwise just get a new pipe. Halfway through the mess I started looking for another pipe in frustration. The next day of cooling off I decided to just finish it. Overall if I had to do this again it would take me maybe 2 hours. But doing it for the first time was a challenge.

post #8 of 8 Old 11-18-2007, 9:53 PM

Reputation Power: 21

Glad it worked out. Thanks for the heads up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page