What is the difference between CR and XR? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-19-2003, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Re: What is the difference between CR and XR?

I want to get a few dirt bikes for me and my wife, and eventually, our new daughter. *And was looking for some advice from you experienced dirty guys . *What would be a good bike for me, my wife, and my kid. *I would like to stay with Honda, so I guess my choices would be an XR or CR. *I guess a 400 for me, a 125 or 250 for my wife, and a 50 for the kid. *

Any thoughts...

1998 CBR900RR - Red - SOLD!!!
2002 CBR954RR - Silver SOLD !!!
2002 CBR954RR - Black SOLD !!!
2005 CR125
2013 BMW HP4 !!! Wow!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-19-2003, 11:56 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Quote:
firebladetoronto : I want to get a few dirt bikes for me and my wife, and eventually, our new daughter. *And was looking for some advice from you experienced dirty guys . *What would be a good bike for me, my wife, and my kid. *I would like to stay with Honda, so I guess my choices would be an XR or CR. *I guess a 400 for me, a 125 or 250 for my wife, and a 50 for the kid. *

Any thoughts...
You should probably go the XR route. Cr s are serious motocrossers with lots a power up top. The XR is a fourstroke with a heavy flywheel perfect for the trails. Aircooled. These things last forever. If it were me a xr400r for you a xr250r or 200 for the wife and a xr50 for the kid.

I came here to chew bubble gum and to kick some ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-19-2003, 11:58 PM

Reputation Power: 0

CR's are the two stroke motorcross bikes, the XR are the 4 stroke trail bikes. I would defintaly say go with the XR, or even the CRF's. The XR's are bullet proof, easy to maintain, easy to ride, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-20-2003, 12:01 AM

Reputation Power: 19

I was looking at a conversion kit for the crf 450...heavy flywhell, wider gear range, etc. What a sweet trail bike that would be. Lotsa power, and that sweet suspension.

I came here to chew bubble gum and to kick some ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-20-2003, 12:01 AM

Good advice. A friend of mine has an XR400 and it's a killer dirtbike. And having a 50cc Honda dirtbike when I was a young'un...I can say those little bikes are a blast!

[hijack]Where in VA are you rocket?[/hijack]
post #6 of 13 Old 10-20-2003, 12:06 AM

Reputation Power: 22

why would a heavy flywheel help

Life is Good, Life is Great
post #7 of 13 Old 10-20-2003, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 20

And what is the this dry sump thing, and do I really want an electric starter? Do they come with speedos? And add to my questions, the difference between XR and CRF? And how the 2 or 4 stroke going to effect my life? This is just for bumming around on the weekend. Nothing competitive.

1998 CBR900RR - Red - SOLD!!!
2002 CBR954RR - Silver SOLD !!!
2002 CBR954RR - Black SOLD !!!
2005 CR125
2013 BMW HP4 !!! Wow!!!
post #8 of 13 Old 10-20-2003, 12:13 AM

As has been stated, the CR's are seriously powerful race bikes, designed for that purpose. Much narrower powerband than the 4 stroke XR's (unless you get one of the larger displacement models, and I think for you that would be drastic overkill). For your purposes, there is no question - get the XR model. They have a much broader and manageable powerband, much more down low. You will love it!
post #9 of 13 Old 10-20-2003, 1:32 AM

Quote:
rocket : I was looking at a conversion kit for the crf 450...heavy flywhell, wider gear range, etc. What a sweet trail bike that would be. Lotsa power, and that sweet suspension.
If you got long legs I suppose. I'm a respectable 5' 10', yet I am amazed at how high the seats are on bikes like the CRF. But I got to remember what it was designed for, motorcross. The designer probaly never envisioned tight woods, tricky mud hill climbes covered in roots or logs, tight single track onuphil switchbacks, etc. Thats the riding I do, and I need to be able to easly put a foot down.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-20-2003, 1:36 AM

Look what I found, heres what I'm talking about http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/97mk200/ I ran this enduro in 1990, on a KDX200 no less.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-20-2003, 1:37 AM

Reputation Power: 18

I love my XR400 and will never out grow it. The bigger XR's are just too much more than I can handle off road. I would like to get a CRF myself some day but can't handle paying for all these toys. I'm gonna have to get my son a real toy too for himself soon. Damn money and motorcycles, I don't have enough of either!

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us;
they can't get away from us this time."
- Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War
post #12 of 13 Old 10-20-2003, 3:26 AM

The CRF line consists of dirtbikes built for motocross/supercross with a four stroke engine. They are incredible bikes all the way around, but probably not ideal for simple trail riding unless some things have been changed around. XR's are good all around bikes for trails and you can't go wrong there.

Steg,

Simply put, the extra heft of the flywheel is for torque purposes and allows the bike to grunt around at low rpms without dying or bogging too much. (simple version)

If it were me in the market, I'd probably get the CRF450 for myself and make the changes, so that it was a great trail bike. I'd get the wife and child into the XR line, but would also have to consider a CRF250 for the wife and make the changes to it as well. The kid stays on the XR50 and when he/she was too big for it, I'd turn into my pit bike and parking lot racer. There is a ton of aftermarket for the 50 which changes it into a big person's fun machine.

JMHO

h8
post #13 of 13 Old 10-20-2003, 4:12 AM

Reputation Power: 18

I'm fairly new to dirtbikes so my opinion might be a fair way from the norm, but I like the 2 stroke rush when the powerband comes in. The 4 strokes are easier to ride, more tractable engines etc and probably a lot easier to get from point a to point b, but it's just the manic ways of a 2 stroke that I enjoy.

I've got a real old ('88) ktm 350 which cost me bugger all has good suspension and the motor has been sorted and it's a huge laugh, I'm very happy with my choice. Of course it's not the same beast as a CR, it's like a 2 stroke version of an XR.

as mentioned by others there are more differences between the CR and XR than just engine type.

I'd also recommend that if buying 2nd hand don't let scratches etc put you off, there'll be plenty more on there by the time you've finished having fun on it

Ben.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page