Recent trackday on my observations - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-22-2003, 1:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Recent trackday on my observations

I felt the need to pass along some observations from my recent track day at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit

It was a great day for a doing some laps on the CBR929RR. *The weather was great and there was no wind, we get that bad wind sometime here in OK. *

I have been doing track days at Hallett for the pass 2 years and really enjoy them but always looking to go faster. *I have always run stock brake pads and decided it was time for a change and installed some EBC HH pads on the front. *Well, the new pads made a big difference, I was able to drop my best time down 1.2 seconds. *The brakes felt much better, more feel and very little fade at temp. *I do remembers reading that they make a noise under hard use and I can confirm that, they are not quiet. *It did not bother me but it was there. *I have Galfer lines on the bike but was very happy to see and feel how much better the bike worked with the new pads.

I run Michelin Pilot Race tires(H2 rear and S2 front) and they were great. *This is the first year I have run race tires so I have been learning and enjoying that. *The temps were from 60's in the morning to low 80's in the afternoon. *I ran 30 psi in the front and the tire seem good all day after the initial warm up of 1-2 laps, I do not have tire warms and would like some. *I ran 27 psi in the rear and it was great all day, very little sliding under power and when it did it was controlable, at least it seemed that me to me. *I know that migh seem low but when I did 2 trackdays in the spring the previous rear tire had some tears on it. *I talked to the Michelin rep that I bought the tires from and he said it looked like cold tears and recommened dropping to 27 psi and that might help. *I think he was right, I have done 2 track days on this rear and it has been great, no cold tears.

I am hooked on track days and can not wait until the next one which might be next spring

(Photo note: *body work is from a racer that sold it to me, I am just a track day guy, no expert racer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-22-2003, 1:10 AM

Lookin' very good Dragger! Someday I too will try a track day.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-22-2003, 1:26 AM

I attended the track day at Texas World Speedway this past weekend. It was my first but definetlly won't be the last. I was running rennsports at 32 front and rear and was very pleased with the way they performed. I keept getting better and better as the day went, what a blast.
One of LoneStar Track Days sponsers is Power Stands and they give away a rear stand at every event.To top the day off I was the one to win the stand which paid for the track fee.

I'm Hooked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-22-2003, 1:57 AM

Nice info (and photo).
I have a set of HH pads I got as a gift. I've been wanting to put them on for my next track day.
Can't wait!
post #5 of 11 Old 10-22-2003, 9:16 AM

Nice brake review dragger. The bike looks awesome with the white/red checkered pattern front. 27 psi rear, huh, I would have thought that to be low but I'm no racer/expert. The lowest track day pressures I've had my BT010 or Sports or M1s was 30 psi. But you say no wallowing or sliding or abuse to the tire? Maybe I'll remember to try that 6 MONTHS FROM NOW!
post #6 of 11 Old 10-22-2003, 2:05 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Good review. I like the bodywork too. Is that a 929 front fairing with CAI inlets molded into it?

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #7 of 11 Old 10-22-2003, 6:52 PM

Nice post, do you want to sell the body work?
post #8 of 11 Old 10-24-2003, 2:40 PM Thread Starter

Superdave, the rear tire pressure at 27 psi was suggested by Dave H. from Island Racing Services. When I bought this last set of S2/H2 tires I asked about the tears on the sides on my rear H2 and he thought it was cold tears. *He suggested dropping down to 27 psi from 29 psi that I have run before. *I have run 2 trackdays at 27 and everything seems great. *The tire always felt good once up to temp, no wallowing but one slide exiting a 2nd gear corner, too much throttle. *The slide was nothing rear bad.

Redrider, *Yes the 929 Sharksinz bodywork does had CAI molded into the front, it was that way when I bought it. *I think it looks fine but have not connected yet. *I am wondering if it would help or hurt? *I would think it would help but could it effect the a/f ration since the map in the commander was built with the stock body work and not CAI?

Oldgoat, *sorry but bodywork is not for sale.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-24-2003, 3:48 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I have been to 2 track days, and the tire guys there specified 36 front, 42 rear for all but racing tires. There was an official *Dunlop tire guy there one time who said there is no advantage to lowering the pressure on a non-track specific tire, and can actually cause more problems then it can solve. Plus the tires will run hotter and wear out quicker, which is not good on the track. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it. I'm sure others have opinions, but I'm stickin to 36/42 (M1s, D208ZRs, or Diablos).

post #10 of 11 Old 10-24-2003, 5:54 PM

Which HH pads? *The full race ones? *I bought some which were suppose to be the full race pad. *Hated them with a passion. *Good intial bite but that's about it. *Very inconsistent braking power. *And they have to be broken in properly or there chit. *

I just tried a set of the Carbone Lorraine full race pads the news ones (c43 I think). *They are truly awesome. *Trust me! *No need for specific brake in procedures..after one easy session they are ready. *This was from the CL rep. *They don't have the intial bite of the EBCs...but how cares...its the braking after that, that really counts. *I highly recommend the carbone lorraine pads for the track. *I'll be trying some of the full race Galfer pads next.

Recommended stock pressures on street tires at the track....NO. *Those are too high even for the street! *BS.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-24-2003, 6:07 PM

Quote:
ULEWZ : I have been to 2 track days, and the tire guys there specified 36 front, 42 rear for all but racing tires. There was an official *Dunlop tire guy there one time who said there is no advantage to lowering the pressure on a non-track specific tire, and can actually cause more problems then it can solve. Plus the tires will run hotter and wear out quicker, which is not good on the track. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it. I'm sure others have opinions, but I'm stickin to 36/42 (M1s, D208ZRs, or Diablos).
And do you have traction problems at the track? *I don't run low race pressures in street tires but not 36/42! *I won't run that on the street. Check your tires after a session....cold pressures don't really mean anything it's just a starting point. *With 42 in the rear and your running pretty good you'll gain at least approx. 4-6 psi. *So 48 in the rear isn't to much. *Of course that is my opinion. *What if it's a cold day? 50-60 degrees..you still run 36/42? *you'd better not! *Yes, with lower pressures come more flex, which = heat, but heat is good for grip (to an extent of course)....of course with more grip comes more wear.

Just my two s

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page