Suspension rebuild advice - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-22-2003, 5:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to 41ants
Re: Suspension rebuild advice

I have an 03' 954RR and I weigh about 200 lbs and looking to get the front end from diving so hard!

I have done a some searching around on this board and a few others about upgrading my forks. *I gave RaceTech a phone call today about what services they offer/recommend. *Springs ($109) & Fork Gold Valve kit ($159.99) and I believe it was something like $150 for the labor. *I would obviously have to pay for the UPS. *I also asked the sales person if they have anyone they work with over here in Florida (since they are in CA) and she gave me the name & # of a company in FL; http://www.gmdcomputrack.com

I gave gmd computrack a call to discuss the getting a RaceTech front fork rebuild. *They gave me a quote of around $550 for springs,revalve,seals, & misc... *The difference was that was for their components, which they implied were very advance, as far as the research involved. *They didn't directly say that their product was better, but it was certainly implied that it was better.

Have any of you heard of these people before or know anything about their product?

03 titanium 954
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-22-2003, 5:30 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Nope...but DK will do that and more to your forks for less. My total cost for his fork work and shipping was a bit under $500, and I had my forks back in about two weeks.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-22-2003, 5:38 PM

Reputation Power: 27

If you are at all worried about getting ripped off, Talk to Dan Kyle. I don't know anyone else who will work for you after the sale as Dan will. If it's not right, He'll make it right.

Yes, I've heard of GMD Computrack. They are reputable and they do know a thing or two about suspension. They are a good resourse.

Ride Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-22-2003, 6:58 PM

CALL DAN KYLE, Really makes a differences you can feel. i was a skeptic, and i was really pleased with the results. AND ITS CHEAPER THAN YOU POSTED PRICING.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-22-2003, 7:18 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Yup, another vote for Dan's fork work here. His charge is $430, including new springs, plus whatever shipping is. His turnaround time is just a few days to a week or so if he's extremely busy. In addition to putting in the right spring for your weight, he revalves and polishes. It makes a world of a difference for a very reasonable price. I've heard that the stock valves are very good once reshimmed, and that the brass Racetech gold valves actually will wear out quicker than stock.

Of course, once you get the forks done, you'll want to spring (no pun intended&#33 for a rear shock...Penske, Ohlins, or Fox.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-22-2003, 11:32 PM

I'm in the same position. I recently scored a used 3way Penske shock for the rear, what a world of difference. From all the positive posts about DK, that's the route I'm going this winter for the forks.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-23-2003, 1:35 AM

I'm not familiar w/ the Computrack in Florida but a couple more options you have are Traxion Dynamics and your local race track. I'm sure you can find at least a couple of guys there that do real good suspension work, just make sure you check out their reputation before putting down any money (there's also some idiots that think they know what they are doing).
post #8 of 10 Old 10-23-2003, 1:50 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to 41ants

Yeah, I have thought seriously about going to Dan Kyle because of all the positive feedback that I hear about his workmanship and ethic<---means alot these days. My only hesitation, is that I like being able to physically take my bike somewhere and having it all done the same day. I am also limited by only having hand tools and a very limited mechanical knoledge about bike (suspension), so I wouldn't feel comftorable removing my own forks and sending them off and reinstalling upon rebuild. I like being able to do it all at a one-stop-shop.

I am thinking about looking into the idea of having my local shop remove the forks and sending them out to Dan Kyle, so he can work is magic. I just don't know how willing they would be to do this, since they would probably like to keep all the money in house and order the parts and do the work themselves....Hmmmmm

03 titanium 954
post #9 of 10 Old 10-23-2003, 1:59 AM

Chances are, you know someone that rides that has the know-how for the fork-swap. It's about an hour of work, doesn't require any truly special tools (torque wrench, and something to hang the bike front with), and really is pretty straight forward. Try finding someone first, before going to a dealer
post #10 of 10 Old 10-23-2003, 7:49 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Removing and reinstalling the forks isn't at all difficult. *Taking the spring out or chaning the oil is a different matter-I wouldn't take the forks apart. But, just removing them is pretty easy. I'm not a mechanic, but HondaGal and I both did ours. *Just need a few tools and good stands for the bike. *We took pictures and made notes so we remembered how to put them back. *We have the service manuals for our bikes, too, which helps a lot.
Any number of folks here could walk you through it.
We've learned a lot by just doing stuff. In addition to the forks, we installed the rear shocks, full exhausts, PCIII, flushmounts, and various other less mechanical stuff. I haven't taken the bike to the dealer for any of this and I've saved a lot of money and I know it's done right.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page