Close calls.... How many - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 2:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Re: Close calls.... How many

Ok, things are starting to get nuts. Got the bike in May and all through the summer, no issues. Now every cager behind a wheel wants to put their car in my sights. I have had 3 'close' calls in the past 2 weeks. I have read about numerous crashes resulting in injury or even death in the past couple of weeks. So who can beat my 3 close calls in 2 weeks.

#1 Leaving the light East bound on Grand Ave & 35 a lady merges, without looking, across 2 lanes into my path. Action taken: Heavy dose of front brakes, release and swerve to inside lane and racked the D&D once clear of danger.
Cagers reaction:
My reaction:

#2 West bound on Hwy 79 Passing under 35 onto the access road. An 'old man' exits the U-Turn lane, once again without looking, easy brake app as I saw it coming and once again racked the D&D. I still don't think he ever saw or heard me.
Cager reaction:
My reaction:

#3 East bound on 3406. Cager pulls across 2 lanes and a center turn lane into my left lane. Mini van to my right and with no time to stop, I pin the throttle and hug mini's left quarter panel.
Cager reaction:
My reaction: * followed by head snap and eyes that sent the message die you MF'r!!!!!

Can you say 6 in a ROW!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 2:30 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Way to go on riding defensive. I get tons of close calls each summer, can't even list how many. It comes with the territory unfortunately
post #3 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 2:41 PM

Reputation Power: 0

sounds a pretty dangerous place to ride a bike there mate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 3:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
bladerrx : sounds a pretty dangerous place to ride a bike there mate
[QUOTE]
I thought so as well until I read ND4's post. I now feel a little better about a *few* occasions. I guess those years racing and training on the bicycle are paying off!!

post #5 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 3:16 PM

we are quite lucky in the respect that i live in a village and have loads of quiet roads to play on so we keep out of the large cities
post #6 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 3:52 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Quote:
Mavic : So who can beat my 3 close calls in 2 weeks.
About every other day on the way to work someone almost takes me out
post #7 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 4:23 PM

Reputation Power: 25

For my first couple of years of riding in Los Angeles, one or two like that every day. I used to make myself deaf by screaming at them inside my helmet.

Eventually, I got better at predicting stupid behavior, and it went down to about one every other day. They never got me though. They sure tried hard enough.
post #8 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 4:28 PM

I had two close calls last week. They were both with cars on the interstate changing lanes into my space. The lane changes were such that I was left with the impression that their actions might have been intentional. Thank goodness for the 954's quick throttle response and acceleration to get me out of trouble. Definitely have o keep your head on a swivel out there.
post #9 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 4:29 PM

let me get my caculator!
post #10 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 4:29 PM

Odd... when I first started riding, I'd have several close calls a week. The more I rode, though, the fewer close calls I got. It dropped to one a week, then one every couple of weeks, one a month... now it's down to one or two a quarter. Since all the cagers around haven't become more careful, considerate, or attentive, it must be me. I have apparently changed my riding to the point that instinct takes care of most of the danger zones, and I hardly ever get in a position to have a close call

My most recent one was about a week ago. Idiot dump truck driver ran a red light (by about 2-3 seconds) right through an intersection through which I was about to proceed. He was actually laughing as he ran through it, like 'Golly gee, I almost flattened a ricer!' Had I been aggressive at that light, I would've been either in the hospital or most likely, dead, but experience made me check just one last time before letting her rip. About the time I was swiveling my head to the left (my intended turn)... WOOOOOOOM went the truck, not even trying to slow down, even though my light had been green for about 2-3 seconds, and the last car to go through had done so about 7-8 seconds sooner.
post #11 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 5:05 PM
Fig

Yeah, I get at least one or two a week. Every once in a while, you get the one where your heart stops for a minute, and you realize you are sweating.. Happened yesterday. I was in the carpool lane, and traffic was heavy in the four uncarpooled lanes. The traffic let up for a second, and for the cars it's like a race to the next bumper, well they cut it too close, and I was watching them bunch up. I saw it coming and really had no course of action. When they were bunching up they all eventually started locking up their brakes. So one moron figures the only way to avoid hitting the person he is tailgaiting to begin with and now about to hit is to redirect to the carpool lane, just as I am about to pass his location. I saw him coming into the lane with me. I started to react, and he slid to a stop. I don't know how close I came to him, but it was too close for the difference in speeds. For a second, I played what could have happened in my mind, and it went something like him slamming into the bike somewhere in the middle sending it flying sideways, and me highsiding. Problem was a get off in the carpool lane with a traffic jam in the other lanes doesn't leave much room for not bumping into something. It was close and I would have just been along for the ride.

You can have the record if you want though. I don't feel like attempting to break it..
Fig
post #12 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 5:34 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 32

I didn't have any close calls that were anyone's fault but my own this year. Of course, I didn't ride on the street...

Hitting the banking at Gateway and bouncing out of the seat was probably the biggest pucker-inducing moment.

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #13 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 5:58 PM Thread Starter

All I can say is.....Thank God for Austin!!! From the tales I hear, 3 in 2 weeks isn't bad at all. I tend to ride very defensively so I can't understand the increase in incidents. I was thinking like 2OH. The more you ride the fewer incidents one should experience. I thought that someone was spiking the water with something with all the recent carnage the fellow forum followers have experienced. I guess ' Austin ain't so bad after all.'

post #14 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 6:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Fig : You can have the record if you want though. I don't feel like attempting to break it..
Fig
ROFLMAO.....NO, you can have it!! That was part of the reasoning behind the post....to make me feel better. Sort of like Tigerblades 'Happy Place' in the Offtopic section.

post #15 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 6:22 PM

I HATE riding to my Honda dealer (yet top rate people/shop) as I must struggle to get across an old/outdated 50 plus yr 2 to 3 lane bridge (only one across the Okanagan Lake into Kelowna & only way out & back home THIS is part of Hwy 97) PLUS the traffic is always travelling to fast or simply crawling with twits trying to ease the front end of their cage up my arse.

Fortunately the Yamaha dealer is prior to stupid bridge & bumper to bumper traffic in the city of Kelowna ------ so they do most of the work on my bike or this is where I deal for m/c products.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page