Another Harley Gripe - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-23-2003, 9:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Another Harley Gripe

I was at work last night when I overheard two guys talking about their bikes. *One of them was bragging about how he was having a chopper built, that his uncrated engine cost him $4,000, and that his transmission cost $1,500. *I sat their wondering, 'OK, you've spend nearly 6K on parts that cannot even be ridden . . . reliably . . . why is that special?' *I just found it was amazing that he thought he was doing something special. *For the money he spent, I could purchase a great used bike that could be ridden. *Am I right or just over reacting?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-23-2003, 9:52 AM

Reputation Power: 50

More money then brains. Status symbol, that's all
post #3 of 18 Old 10-23-2003, 10:36 AM

A couple friends of mine got new Harley's a year or so ago and proceeded to tell me how uncomfortable my bike looked. I said it fits me just fine and that a Harley looks uncomfortable to me because of how my back would be hunched over. Then we got to the $2000 in extra chrome parts he added on it before he even rode it home! When I asked what the hell all that crap did, he said 'It looks good.'
Fair enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-23-2003, 10:38 AM

I wish I had the $4000 he spent on the engine, I'd get a decent 600F4/R6/ZX/GSXR to make a track dog out of so I wouldn't have to worry about wadding up my '54. But that's just me, people have different ways of thinking and it's his money.......
post #5 of 18 Old 10-23-2003, 12:14 PM

If he's really having a chopper built, apparently it's worth it to him to spend a lot more than a mass-produced bike would cost to end up with something truly custom (as compared to a stock bike with some bolt-on chrome parts). I figure the money he's spent so far is only a drop in the bucket compared to what this whole project may cost.
Again, people can spend their money how they want to.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-23-2003, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Serial Thriller : Again, people can spend their money how they want to.
Thank you.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-23-2003, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Pete : Quote (Serial Thriller @ Oct. 23 2003, 11:14am)Again, people can spend their money how they want to, especially Pete.
Thank you.
You're welcome.

post #8 of 18 Old 10-23-2003, 1:07 PM

If I had the money, and more importantly space, I would love to build a Harley. *Maybe a Sporty with a built up motor, improved suspension...and go terrorize uppity sportbike guys on twisty rides.

At the same time, I was on a business trip earlier this week, and the guy I was traveling with is a 'super-geek'. *He bought a Harley in 98 as his first bike, basically. *The guy has been riding 5 years (basically Harley only), and proceeds to start turning his nose up to metric cruisers we see on the road....pretty hard not to just start laughing my ass off.

I just don't understand the split in the motorcycle community over this stuff...

post #9 of 18 Old 10-23-2003, 4:54 PM

In my 12 years of riding experience, I have never seen a sportbike on the side of the road broken down. Whenever I see a bike broken down, its always been a Harley. When I have stopped and asked if they needed any help, tools, cell phone, they always say no and some have an attitiude about it. I guess they think its a slap in the face to have someone on a japanese bike stop and offer to help.

somewhat related - The other night I was outside a club where my friend is the DJ and I see these two guys checking out my bike, which is fine as long as they dont touch it. One of the guys tells me he has a TLR 1000 and says I have a nice bike except for my exhaust. (my 2 day old Arata) He says 'why would you put a japanese peice of crap pipe on your bike) (he rides a japanese bike) and then proceeds to tell me the best pipes are made in Texas (where he is from). I said 'You mean D&D? those are on the lower end of the market pipe' (i didnt want to start a fight hehe).. he rides a japanese bike and bashes my japanese pipe... someone had a bit too much to drink
post #10 of 18 Old 10-23-2003, 5:10 PM

man i like Harley davidsons. too be honest if i would have had 25000 at the time i bought my 929 i would have had a running one now . but as it is i bought a 71 flh shovel head and am going to have it ready for next season. then if i want to race out on the twisties i can and if i want to go for a casual cruise i can , i know i can do both on the nine but i don't i seem to ride alot faster on it then i do if i borrow my buddys soft tail. 6000 for a motor and tranny i guess if you can afford it great but i'll stick with cams and a bore job and maybe some high compression pistons .
post #11 of 18 Old 10-23-2003, 6:16 PM

Reputation Power: 18

The traditional cruiser riding position is so incompatible with that of a sportbike, that I can't comprehend liking both. *I quite intensely dislike the way a Harley (or Japanese equivalent) feels to sit on, with the tiller handlebars and the feet out to there, and the complete disconnect from road. *Thanks, but no thanks.
Not interested, EVER. *Go away!

Silver/black CBR954RR
Unsanctioned, unofficial, unloved Honda test rider
post #12 of 18 Old 10-23-2003, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Motopilot : I was at work last night when I overheard two guys talking about their bikes. *One of them was bragging about how he was having a chopper built, that his uncrated engine cost him $4,000, and that his transmission cost $1,500. *I sat their wondering, 'OK, you've spend nearly 6K on parts that cannot even be ridden . . . reliably . . . why is that special?' *I just found it was amazing that he thought he was doing something special. *For the money he spent, I could purchase a great used bike that could be ridden. *Am I right or just over reacting? *
yes,you are over reacting.

post #13 of 18 Old 10-23-2003, 6:35 PM

I am with RaggedEdge in thoughts on riding positions of the latest HD/Cruiser lot. I was born & brought up in Harley/Indian days of the late 40s & said bikes were for flat tracking, dirt hill climbing & means of trans. The Brit irons did the job in MX, Enduro, Cross Country, Observed Trials & road racing once we modified them for said means of comp.

My back has been a mess since childhood & noted the lean forward riding postion with flat bars or clip-ons plus rear sets was the 'thing' & started to convert it to my hwy bikes. That would be back in '48 & so the lean towards the 'classical' Cafe Racers. I can ride for 3 to 6 or more hrs on my 929 & still feel great, but 20 minutes in my truck & my back is killing me SO imagine what I would feel like with all the wt on my butt/spine, footrests/foot controls to the front & whatever h/bars?
post #14 of 18 Old 10-23-2003, 7:06 PM

I recently took a trip the mountains with 3 friends from work. Each one rides a Hardly, I was riding a 99 Honda Goldwing. Before we had gone 50 miles, one of the bikes developed an oil leak. A few more miles past and the headlight goes out on another, keep in mind these are all new motorcycles. So, we stop in at Ray Price to have the bikes repaired and get back on the road. The next day we head out to ride Dealsgap, right around Fontana the 3rd Hardly starts to backfire and will barely run. We pull over to checkout the bike and we find that the carb is about to fall off the bike. Both of the allen bolts that hold the intake boot on have backed out. Of coarse none of the Hardley guys have tools, so I breakout the Honda toolkit. Luckly the allen wrenches fit the standard fastners and we were able to get back underway. As I was bolting the carb back up I was thinking ' how can people think that these are great motorcycles'. Anyway it was pretty funny that the repairs were made with Honda tools.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-23-2003, 7:08 PM

Quote:
roadracer319 : Anyway it was pretty funny that the repairs were made with Honda tools.
...that probably had seen little to no use beforehand

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page