Sportbike Mag. says CBR1000RR is slower than comp. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 9:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Sportbike Mag. says CBR1000RR is slower than comp.

Hello,
Thumbing through the European Sportbike magazine at Borders, I noticed that they had weight and horsepower figures for the CBR1000RR. They mentioned that the HP was 165 and the weight was 178KG (I think), stating that made it probably the slowest compared to the rest of the competition. Additionally, they said Honda reps were quick to offer explanations like they decided to put on a steel exhaust to keep the prices down....that the 600RR is not the lightest bike but it's the best in its class...
I know my riding skills are not worthy to take on any of the new liter bikes coming out next year however, I'm quite dejected about Honda's decisions and excuses. Don't get me wrong, I'm a happy Blade owner who has owned 6 Hondas out of the 7 bikes I've ever owned. I'm satisfied with Honda build quality and will definitely purchase another Honda in the future. However, I've heard too many Honda fanatics who still say that weight and horsepower numbers do not matter. Come on! Get off it.
When the first Blade and the second CBR 600 came out, they were praised for their magnificent power to weight ratio, which at the time the other guys couldn't beat. Sure, Honda fans flaunted these numbers but ever since the GSXR and R1 came out, Honda fans are now saying that we shouldn't care. Now I know these new literbikes are more bike than anyone needs on the street but isn't that what literbikes are all about? Are you going to say that the other companies should fall in line with Honda and make their GSXR, R1, and ZXR1000 less powerful and heavier or that the CBR1000RR is a better bike because it is less powerful and that they focus more on the overall package or on their build quality?
We all know Honda can make such a bike, look at the RCV 211, the origional Blade, etc. Sure, I like my Blade and it was was a fantastic bike when it came out but they have been using the same motor on the Blade for about a decade now. I'd like to see a bit more innovation from Honda, something that is truely origional that is quite revolutionary. I see the other companies doing it, taking chances, but I've got to admit that Honda is becoming quite the cookie cutter company.
Sorry about the big ass rant but I guess I just needed to say it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 10:40 PM

post #3 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 10:47 PM

Screw all those bikes, i'm buying a kanatuna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 11:02 PM

Reputation Power: 20

but you gotta see it from honda's perspective, they'll always be more Honda fanboys than any other manufacturer just b/c they push so much volume to the public.

I mean look at us, for the most part, we'd swallow most of what Honda would shovel down our way.

We are always quick to point out when all else fails that Honda has quality. yet, I think that's a slight misconception, look at the 2 recalls and clutches going out. Does that mean the others are any more/less reliable, who knows. but I tell you what, I ride what I like, and honda is for me.

....Sorry my shift key is going wonky.

Be fast or be last.
post #5 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Motodude : or that the CBR1000RR is a better bike because it is less powerful and that they focus more on the overall package or on their build quality?
Yes, exactly! *Honda does exactly that, and I for one am quite happy with their reasoning. *Keep the faith bro! *

Edit: I guess it all depends what you're looking for .

post #6 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 11:28 PM

Quote:
asiliat : but you gotta see it from honda's perspective, they'll always be more Honda fanboys than any other manufacturer just b/c they push so much volume to the public.

I mean look at us, for the most part, we'd swallow most of what Honda would shovel down our way.

We are always quick to point out when all else fails that Honda has quality. *yet, I think that's a slight misconception, look at the 2 recalls and clutches going out. *Does that mean the others are any more/less reliable, who knows. *but I tell you what, I ride what I like, and honda is for me.

....Sorry my shift key is going wonky.
What is different is theat neither of those recalls were wide failures. I remember the clutch recall on the 929, one or two guys had this fail and Honda submitted a recall. On a Suzuki, it would have been much different. In other words, Honda's recalls can't really be compared to the other mfr's, they are usually something that wouldn't have failed anyway, but they do it just in case.

I'm with you though, I've been a blind follower to Honda for a long time. If they stay in this direction, I will try other products. Maybe I'll buy BDA's new R1 when he is done with it
post #7 of 32 Old 10-23-2003, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Do some research on recalls and manufacturers. You'll note that Honda has the least. By far.
Also, this BS story has been rehashed soooo many times. Some lame mag decides to get attention by publishing some numbers they pulled out of their ass. These numbers were made up, not given to them by ANYONE from Honda. Honda has not released any official numbers. Tin hat wearers would tell you that it is because Honda is still developing the bike, and were just waiting for all the other numbers to be released to trump them, but it is not the case.
This magazine has nothing other mags don't, other than the gumption to make up a 'story' to get people talking about them. And it worked. They are very much like the New York Times.
It's all BS and speculation to generate interest in the mag. Until they actually have a bike in their possession and have put in on the scales and dyno, there is no point in giving the story any credibility.
post #8 of 32 Old 10-24-2003, 6:40 AM

Hmmm, dunno if this is worthwhile but I have no brand preference. I have loved my previous suzuki's yamaha's and hondas. I am buying a 954 cause I have wanted one since the 929. They made the new price to hard to resist. Riding a bike is not relevant to the make or manufacturer. It's relevant to what you enjoy. If you have fun riding it, who gives a rats?? Guess I'm old enough to not care about 'pose value'. I just love riding. And I have a LOT of roads to choose from. hehehehe
post #9 of 32 Old 10-24-2003, 7:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Quote:
Bennie Da Blade : Hmmm, dunno if this is worthwhile but I have no brand preference. I have loved my previous suzuki's yamaha's and hondas. I am buying a 954 cause I have wanted one since the 929. They made the new price to hard to resist. Riding a bike is not relevant to the make or manufacturer. It's relevant to what you enjoy. If you have fun riding it, who gives a rats?? Guess I'm old enough to not care about 'pose value'. I just love riding. And I have a LOT of roads to choose from. hehehehe
$14990, by any chance?

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #10 of 32 Old 10-24-2003, 7:05 AM

Oooooh you bitch. ;-) Jealous I hope
post #11 of 32 Old 10-27-2003, 12:44 AM

didn't anyone here notice motodude's avatar??? c'mon dude..
post #12 of 32 Old 10-27-2003, 1:49 AM

yeah, i was wondering about that avatar as well. Was not expecting that.
post #13 of 32 Old 10-27-2003, 3:23 AM

Reputation Power: 20

whatever floats your boat dude.

Guess the next bike's the RC then huh?

*duck*

True enough, the clutch mfr was a 'just-in-case' type deal, and I appreciate it lots. I do however find the new 1000RR a little on the frumpy side.

I know I sound like a poser, and probably am a little (since my riding prowess is so minute, I don't pretend to be able to wring out the potential of my bike). Hence, colour and looks are criterias I look for when dreaming of my next bike.

So far, with all the pix, and the 1-2 vids I've seen of the new bike, I have to say no. None of the colour schemes appeal to me, and as odd as it sounds (I never thought I'd type this, since the bike is inspired by the 211V), but it looks kinda boring - a little too conservative. I hated the 954 front when I first saw it, but I'm preferring that to the 1000RR's lights. It just doens't look like anything special.... Ugh. Flog me!

Anyway, enough about dreaming, I'm still loving my 929, so there!

Be fast or be last.
post #14 of 32 Old 10-27-2003, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Motodude : Hello,
* * Thumbing through the European Sportbike magazine at Borders, I noticed that they had weight and horsepower figures for the CBR1000RR. *They mentioned that the HP was 165 and the weight was 178KG (I think), stating that made it probably the slowest compared to the rest of the competition. *Additionally, they said Honda reps were quick to offer explanations like they decided to put on a steel exhaust to keep the prices down....that the 600RR is not the lightest bike but it's the best in its class... *
* * I know my riding skills are not worthy to take on any of the new liter bikes coming out next year however, I'm quite dejected about Honda's decisions and excuses. *Don't get me wrong, I'm a happy Blade owner who has owned 6 Hondas out of the 7 bikes I've ever owned. *I'm satisfied with Honda build quality and will definitely purchase another Honda in the future. *However, I've heard too many Honda fanatics who still say that weight and horsepower numbers do not matter. *Come on! *Get off it. *
* * When the first Blade and the second CBR 600 came out, they were praised for their magnificent power to weight ratio, which at the time the other guys couldn't beat. *Sure, Honda fans flaunted these numbers but ever since the GSXR and R1 came out, Honda fans are now saying that we shouldn't care. *Now I know these new literbikes are more bike than anyone needs on the street but isn't that what literbikes are all about? *Are you going to say that the other companies should fall in line with Honda and make their GSXR, R1, and ZXR1000 less powerful and heavier or that the CBR1000RR is a better bike because it is less powerful and that they focus more on the overall package or on their build quality?
* * We all know Honda can make such a bike, look at the RCV 211, the origional Blade, etc. *Sure, I like my Blade and it was was a fantastic bike when it came out but they have been using the same motor on the Blade for about a decade now. *I'd like to see a bit more innovation from Honda, something that is truely origional that is quite revolutionary. *I see the other companies doing it, taking chances, but I've got to admit that Honda is becoming quite the cookie cutter company. *
* * Sorry about the big ass rant but I guess I just needed to say it.
but they have been using the same motor on the Blade for about a decade now. I'd like to see a bit more innovation from Honda, something that is truely origional that is quite revolutionary. [I]

What, what, what, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? The same motor???? No innovation???? Put the pipe down jimmy, you've had enough! It's very obvious that you do not have personal experience comparing the competition to Honda! Cookie cutter???? What, what, what, whaaaaaaaaaaat?

By the way, if you smoke shaft that is your business, no one wants to look at that avatar. You need to try the spell checker too!
post #15 of 32 Old 10-27-2003, 8:30 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Quote:
batman : didn't anyone here notice motodude's avatar??? *c'mon dude..
I missed his new avatar because I couldn't take my eyes off yours! *

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page