Actuator removal? need help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-24-2003, 1:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Actuator removal? need help

Ok I looked up the part for the clutch actuator at ron ayers and didnt find it, so Im gonna go ahead and call them, but I dont know what else I need to do to remove that part, sorry Im a squid I have no clue, and I trully dont want to break anything else. Can someone direct me through it, someone sent me something but I didnt pick up on it, so if you knowledgeable people are out there share you experiance and get me back on two wheels. Thanks

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-24-2003, 1:40 PM Thread Starter

ok I went on ahead and just pulled out the actuator, I didnt un bolt anything it just yanked right out. I hope its ok, well the funny thing is I called up one of my dealerships in my area and they said its been replaced. but I was wondering if the re placement part is hollow or solid? or do they just replace broken stuff with broken stuff? give me some info people Im gonna call them in a bout a few minutes and b*tch them out if they lied to me.

Mark
post #3 of 8 Old 10-24-2003, 4:02 PM

If the broken actuator is hollow then the recall hasn't been performed. Your dealer should replace it under warrantee, no cost to you. Honda should not be sell/installing the hollow actuator anymore, so the new one will be solid. Installation is easy but there is a little trick to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-24-2003, 4:59 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 19

You should definately NOT be able to take it out without first removing the clutch cover, so obviously it is broken. *

Needed: *Gasket maker, Loctite (Blue) and obviously a new 'actuator.'

First step: *Remove clutch cover.

Second step: *Clean everything off (old gasket maker on all *mating surfaces, and make sure there are NO metal bits flying around from the broken actuator).

Third step: Put new actuator into clutch cover (include spring) and put gasket maker onto clutch cover.

Fourth step: *Make sure dowel pins are in place (in engine case or clutch cover - should be two total) and line up cover onto engine case. *While doing this you will have to rotate the actuator so it 'grabs' the 'pin' coming out of the clutch basket.

Fifth step: *Re-tork all bolts (I believe it's 8 ft/lbs), and don't forget to use Loctite (blue).

Sixth step: *Let dry and go ride.

Hope this helps, any questions, let me know.

post #5 of 8 Old 10-24-2003, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

thanks Jake im ordering the parts and should come by tuesday, well the story with my dealership is that they say they have already performed it, but for some strange reason they say that its already been replaced, which then I was very confused about because those bastards wont replace it, the honda rep told me to bring it in to a dealership and I will be charged for any labor that may come from the clutch removal. SOo man I dont know what to do, any info?

Mark
post #6 of 8 Old 10-24-2003, 11:31 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 19

The first thing I would do is look at the part to see if it's hollow or solid. If it's hollow, obviously it was not fixed/replaced. I believe they were supposed to replace this part when they replaced your inner clutch fiber and added the judder springs. Another way to verify your 9 has had the updates is to look to see if your frame has two punch marks located just below the seat you sit on (there have been two recalls that I'm aware of - fuel line and clutch). But once again if the piece is hollow, I would take that into the dealer and show the service manager (maybe take a pic and send it to Honda too), it sounds like quality control if they did not replace it and claimed too.

If it's a solid piece, I guess you have to suck it up, pay for a new one and install it. This is not a very labor intensive part to replace. A couple of fairing bolts, the clutch cover bolts (there are quite a few), and a little muscle and the cover is off. As far as tools required, they are simply a 5mm allen wrench (for fairings) and an 8mm socket with a ratchet. You don't need a torque wrench when puting it back together, you can just snug the bolts with the ratchet and that will do. If you have any other questions, you can e-mail at [email protected] and I will send a phone number back to you for further assistance. Let me know.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-24-2003, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Jake you are awsome,

I will send you a message if all doesnt go well, but for now i think I can do it, but definetly call you up if there is something wrong, thanks

mark
post #8 of 8 Old 10-25-2003, 1:13 AM

Keep the pressure on the dealer about it if your bike doesnt have the punch mark or the actuator is hollow. I recieved the recall notice about the actuator and called the dealership where i bought the bike and he would order the parts. I never heard from him (the service manager)so I called quite often to find out if the parts had come in and he said they hadn't. He said 'it doesnt really need to be replaced, so dont worry about it' and i said 'well, then how come honda keeps sending me notices about it, he again told me he would call when he could get the parts/they came in. Same answer everytime I called. Well, about 5 months went by and my clutch actuator failed. I drove home on the freeway trying not to shift unless i had to. I called the service manager and told him it had failed. He asked if i could bring it down there, and i said no it cant be driven. He said he didnt know what to tell me then. At that point i lost my temper and told him that i would just call Honda and tell them what happened, that he said the part didnt need to be replaced and this has gone on for over 5 months. He put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back on and said they would send someone to pick up the bike and they had someone on their way to another dealer (about 70 miles away) and pick up the parts that day. It was repaired and returned to me that day and they bought me lunch while i waited. Sometimes you just have to lean on them a bit. BASH---> It was Merced Powersports btw

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page