954...Weak rods? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-26-2008, 8:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

954...Weak rods?

Hi all.
I've been searching this forum for info for quite some time but I just joined.
Through all my searching I have seen a lot of people mention that the factory 954 con rods won't hold up to power adders. Seems like anyone that mentions they are thinking of turboing or loking for a turbo kit for their blade gets a couple people saying "get new rods, the stockers just won't hold up to that."
Now I am just wondering if anyone has any references to specific instances of this happening. I can't seem to find anything about an actual rod failure. I saw someone with a turbo 929 on here qute sometime ago and I believe he was running stock rods(could easily be mistaken though). And an older 900 running a lot of boost on stock rods (albeit larger journals on both those references).
My reason for asking is, I recently turbo'd my 954, I'm running over 10psi(10.2) of boost and keeping the mixtures quite rich and retarding the timing. I do plan on having a more "built" motor for next season but for now I'm planning on running everything factory. I've run a few hundred km's now and it's all fine but if there are any instances of actual 954 rod failure (with or without power adders) I may rethink my position and turn the boost down. Also if these instances are just caused by bearing failure, that's usually a sign of improper oiling or too tight of tolerances, not neccesarily weak rods.

I realize it's brazen first post but I really am looking for input here.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-26-2008, 1:04 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: 954...Weak rods?

No idea man, good luck!
post #3 of 5 Old 03-26-2008, 2:12 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Mine had a bad bearing. Everything I've read so far that had to do with rods or engine noise was due to bearings. I haven't read about an actual rod problem. the relatively low mass and short stroke on these rods, along with the fact they are semi-balanced, should allow for a turbo. But you never know wha these extra stresses can cause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-26-2008, 8:41 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 12

Ya, I was thinking that might have been it, and the posts I'd seen before were just from misinformed people. But still I thought I'd ask. I don't expect the engine to hold up for as long as it would stock but as long as there's not a major weak point I'll take my chances.

Any other opinions out there?
post #5 of 5 Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Sponsor

Reputation Power: 21

I was running 183rwhp with my 40 shot of NOS on stock rods before I switched rods. Ran like that for 1 full season with no problems.

www.cycletrendz.com

2006 Northeast Dragway Points Champion
2005 Northeast Dragway Points Runner Up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page