exhaust problem and cure? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-27-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

exhaust problem and cure?

I just installed the PC and a full micron serpent system on my 929. it is all back together and I can see the padding on the lower left fairing is close and it is going to singe a little, but it looks like my overflow tank is melting a little, and there is a hose that runs under and around the front left corner of the oil pan, it was originally under (kinda cutting a corner, and I have to have it routed around the end of the oil pan so it doesnt sit on the header. I think the padding on the fairing will be ok, but as for My over flow I dont want a hole and the hose I dont want it to burst Its not a lot off tension but Im concerned it my wear through as it vibrate and rubs. I think I might take a bigger section or rubber hose and put a slit in it and wrape the smaller hose to give it some insulation and cusion. any other idea? do they make a smaller coolant resivior?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-27-2008, 1:27 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE
Re: exhaust problem and cure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 187mustang View Post
I just installed the PC and a full micron serpent system on my 929. it is all back together and I can see the padding on the lower left fairing is close and it is going to singe a little, but it looks like my overflow tank is melting a little, and there is a hose that runs under and around the front left corner of the oil pan, it was originally under (kinda cutting a corner, and I have to have it routed around the end of the oil pan so it doesnt sit on the header. I think the padding on the fairing will be ok, but as for My over flow I dont want a hole and the hose I dont want it to burst Its not a lot off tension but Im concerned it my wear through as it vibrate and rubs. I think I might take a bigger section or rubber hose and put a slit in it and wrape the smaller hose to give it some insulation and cusion. any other idea? do they make a smaller coolant resivior?

Thanks
why not just get a long piece of rubber hose. autoparts stores sell black rubber coolant hoses in cut cut to length sections by foot. get 2 feet and bring it home and route it the way you want and cut off the excess.

to prevent the foam from burning go to homedepot and buy some heat resistant metal foil in the hvac section. might not stick to the foam though. best bet would probably be to just shave some of the foam off that area.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-27-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

I ran it a little more and it seemed to stop burning the foam, The rubber hose thing is a great Idea, and I think I will buy the metal heat shield and put it on the coolant tank to protect that.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-28-2008, 1:10 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Careful what shield you buy. It may conduct the heat and cause it to melt, rather than expelling it. They have insulated heat tape at auto parts stores. That forms a barrier between the heat and the plastic allowing the air to cool inbetween. It's similar to the factory heat shielding on the inside fairing of the 929.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-28-2008, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Well for the hose idea, I went and bought a new hose and I cant re route the hose without haveing the same problem, after assessing it witht he fairing off I took a 3/4 hose and made a slice down the center to act as an insulator just like the factory did where the hose rest against the lower fairing stay bracket and secured it to a tab on the block, so now it is away from the header, adn not going to fall back onto it and it has the insulator to keep it from wearing a hole in it. I ordered some self adhesive heat deflector stuff from napa, it says it good for deflecting heat from exhaust and other high temps. it looks like a foam with adhesive on one side and a deflective aluminum shield stuck to the other side. any thoughts. there isnt a hole lot of room to put a shield in there that would allow airflow on both sides.. I will try to put some on the foam on the lower fairing, and on the tank. any other thoughts or ideas are appreciated I havent done this yet so I still have options if you all want the share

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page