the worst engineered bike ever - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 Old 10-29-2003, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: the worst engineered bike ever

This bike is by far the worst designed bike ever.

I simply started off going to change the air filter and spark plugs. Some of you can already see where this is going and can stop reading here.

Design Flaw number 1) - gas tank design - where the f&8k is the d#(n petcock? The 'vacuum system' doesn't work - period. I followed the FSM to a T and now have about 2 gallons of gas on my garage floor. How hard is it to put a petcock on the tank? How much can that really add to the cost of a bike?

Design Flaw number 2) - spark plug location - on a 'maintenace' item, why would you ever locate it where you couldn't get to it? I followed the service manual exactly, and there is no way that I can get any tools in there to get to the spark plugs. I have removed almost the entire front of the bike already (only left the forks). Looks like I have no choice but to remove the whole top end of the bike also. How hard is it to design a way to get to a maintence item?

This is my first Honda product - ever. It will definately be my last - ever. If I did this type of shoddy design work, I'd be homeless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 10-29-2003, 11:32 PM

Reputation Power: 20

sell it before it needs any more maintainence.

Insignificant Member
post #3 of 80 Old 10-29-2003, 11:36 PM

Dude... I'll try not to rag on you too much for such blasphemy, m'kay?

Worst?

OK, tell you what. Less than two hours ago I talked to a guy who had his Ducati 998 serviced. The 6,000 mile service cost him $1800, much of which required special tools (in other words, not something doable by you or me). The valve adjustment alone takes about four hours. The plugs are just as buried within that bike as the 929/954/damn-near-every-other-modern-sportbike.

So you spilled some gas (operator error), and weren't happy with the spark plug placement (a Harley, perhaps?). Does that about cover it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 80 Old 10-29-2003, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yeah. Honda engineers are well know to be the worst in the world.

Neither item you listed is a design flaw in any way.
#1) You don't need to remove the tank to change the air filter or the spark plugs.
#2) If you can't change the spark plugs or air filter without making a mess and blaming the bike design, you're a moron.

I hope you never buy a Honda again. Buying something else will force you to learn how to work on a bike.

Go troll somewhere else.
post #5 of 80 Old 10-29-2003, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

I work with sportbikes all the time, and none of the Yamaha's, Kawasaki's, or Suzuki's have been this bad. I'm dreading tearing apart the two 600RR's at the shop if they are at all similar.

Basic maintenance items should not be time-consuming to do.
post #6 of 80 Old 10-29-2003, 11:43 PM

I hate to admit it but everyone here that just ragged on you is right, why would you want to come to a forum that is pro honda 929ers and discrace it. Maybe you should design a bike that suits your needs.

cheers

mark
post #7 of 80 Old 10-30-2003, 12:12 AM

Right on Mark! I have not any trouble working on my bike or my buddys 929. I changed the plugs simply by removing a few fairings. I even used the sparkplug tool that comes with the bike. Maybe he should check into MMI!
post #8 of 80 Old 10-30-2003, 12:44 AM
TCD

i never had a problem changing the plugs on mine...
post #9 of 80 Old 10-30-2003, 12:46 AM

Well, DavidGS, you have been a member for *4 months and have 44 posts. *So you are not exactly new to this forum. *It is the price you pay for compact, lightweight sportbikes. *Sooooo, I guess, what is your point?!

edit: *removed a mistake *

post #10 of 80 Old 10-30-2003, 2:07 AM

Quote:
DavidGS : I work with sportbikes all the time, and none of the Yamaha's, Kawasaki's, or Suzuki's have been this bad. I'm dreading tearing apart the two 600RR's at the shop if they are at all similar.

Basic maintenance items should not be time-consuming to do.
Are you implying that you're a professional service technician?

If so, please understand that you are the reason I do all my own work on my bike, and no shop will ever touch it. If you're not a professional mechanic, my appologies. This forum is here to assist you. If you did a search here before you started emptying the gas tank you could have prevented the mess and saved some time.
post #11 of 80 Old 10-30-2003, 2:18 AM

Quote:
2OHOH2954 : OK, tell you what. Less than two hours ago I talked to a guy who had his Ducati 998 serviced. The 6,000 mile service cost him $1800, much of which required special tools (in other words, not something doable by you or me). The valve adjustment alone takes about four hours. The plugs are just as buried within that bike as the 929/954/damn-near-every-other-modern-sportbike.
Holy crap! I hope those were Jamaican dollars!!!! Bahahahahahah someone saw your pal coming a mile away.

My 6000k service cost me $85 in labor and less than $100 in parts (and special tools&#33.

The 12k service is more pricy since you need $160 in belts plus the labor (a few hours) to R&R them and re-set timing.

At any rate.. I can relate to the crappy 929 design. How many FREAKING different fasteners can they pull out of thier asses to use on a bike.

In contrast.
Honda 929
oil filter right up behind the headers - stupid
plugs in an area so tight you need a wrench (not a ratchet) to extract them (thankully Honda provides the required tools)
Fairings that take over an hour to R&R

takes 5 min totally strip bike (includint tank which comes from the factory with quick-disoneects that don't leak)
10 Dzus fasteners and all lower bodywork off (takes less than 60 secons)
oil fiter on bottom of engine in very easy to access possition, any number of tools can be used toextract it (unlike on the 929)
Plugs are nore a 'breeze' but remove fairings, move aside one oil coller and more aside tank. Everything accesable.
Air filters (are reusable foam like UNI's) are a pain (about 8 small screws per side to get at them inthe ram ducts).

There are ups and downs on each bike. 929 goes 16k miles between major services, that's pretty sweet. Too bad it's a major pain to work on.

I felt your pain (until I sold the 929).

$1800 for 6k services. Tell him to bring it to my place and I'll do it for 1/2 next time!

Oh, and the plugs maybe as 'burried' but they onlt take about 5 min. to get too an remove AND you can use commone ratchet tools to remove them.

Work on one some time. I used to think the Japanese were good at engineering stuff for service (comparted to American companites) until I worked on my Duc.

As always, YMMV!
post #12 of 80 Old 10-30-2003, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Holeshot : Holy crap! *I hope those were Jamaican dollars!!!! *Bahahahahahah *someone saw your pal coming a mile away.
No kidding. Dunno what happened there, but he got robbed. Told me that was the last time that he'll ever take his bike there. Ya think?

Maybe I should get the details. For amusement purposes only

post #13 of 80 Old 10-30-2003, 3:09 AM

First of all, how many fuel-injected bikes have you seen with a petcock? Pretty hard to put one on there when the pump is in the tank. Duh.

And how could it be any easier to change the oil filter? You just use a pair of Channel locks and go in through the hole in the right side fairing. No need to even remove any plastic. Or get a K&N filter with the nut on the end and just use a ratchet.

As far as changing the spark plugs and air filter, all you have to do is lift up the front of your tank and tie it to the rear bungee hooks to hold it. No need to remove any hoses or spill any gas. And Honda gives you the spark plug socket, even. What more do you want?

Don't blame the bike for your ineptitude.
post #14 of 80 Old 10-30-2003, 3:18 AM
vma

Yo dude, get a new XR50R. Spark plug on this baby, well, you know what I´m talking about...
post #15 of 80 Old 10-30-2003, 4:12 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Better yet, get a bicycle, then you'll be happy, nothing buried at all

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page