CBR1000RR8 Passenger Footpeg Removal - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-28-2008, 4:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 41

CBR1000RR8 Passenger Footpeg Removal

OK guys. So I gave in and bought a pearl white seat cowl for my baby. Going to pick it up from the dealer in the morning.

I think the bike would look great with the rear pegs off and the seat cowl on, proper motogp beast.

Question is, how the **** do you get them off ? I remember somebody else saying it was ridiculously complicated. I took the seat off today for a look, and it appears you take most of the bike to bits to get at them !!

Anybody got a step by step EASY instruction on what to do ?

BTW......I'm useless with spanners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-28-2008, 5:01 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: CBR1000RR8 Passenger Footpeg Removal

I can't help you with any step by step instructions as I haven't picked mine up yet but an owner on another site posted "I had to remove the seat, battery, battery tray, and fuel tank!".
post #3 of 12 Old 03-29-2008, 10:28 AM

I just went down to the garage to look at mine. Honestly, I don't know what to tell you.

It's not going to be the normal four bolts and your done routine that we are used to. You will to be removing some parts just to get to them.
If you do find out can you post the instruction on here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-29-2008, 10:42 AM

Reputation Power: 16

boy that sounds like a bunch of crap.. good luck to you guys.. i finally saw one of the o8's in the shop yesterday.. they look sooooo tiny.. smaller than my 600 was..
post #5 of 12 Old 03-29-2008, 2:15 PM

Ok, I’m posting but not with an answer……also looking for help. Not a wizard but not technically challenged either

This is rather amusing as I have tried……..but did not succeed.

For those thinking rubbish, how difficult can it be, there is one tiny little snag, they (the pegs) are fixed to the sub-frame from the inside.

Right, remove the seat, remove the rear-end cover (not so easy but once you figure out the clip-in system on the sides it gets easier), remove the lock mechanism of the rear seat, loosen the plastic ”pan” that houses all the electronics and the battery (that is after the fuse box has been lifted to get to the bottom screw). From here it should be plain sailing, just disconnect some wiring feeding the tail light/indicators and lift the “pan” high enough to gain access to the bolts holding the pegs.

Wrong, the “pan” lifts but not high enough, it is fixed to the coolant bottle on the one side and some clip on the other and………..I could not get it to release so……..I gave up and put everything back together (and luckily no spares/nut/bolts remained left over)

Yes, I agree, as I said – rather amusing.

Please, someone…..surely there must be a (easier)way, maybe now its time to take it to the dealer for the job……..at least then I can shout at someone else if anything gets broken in the process.

The price we pay for "nice and small" and "so compact" ?
post #6 of 12 Old 03-29-2008, 7:53 PM Thread Starter

Went to the dealer and got my seat cowl today. Looks awesome on the bike, I'll take a photo when it stops raining.

I stuck my head in the workshop, and asked the techs if they knew how to get the pegs off. They didn't. In the shop, the parts guy looked on Honda's own dealer tech area which is where all info is about working on the bikes. Nothing on there at the moment, but he is going to keep checking for me.

It was a Honda open day at the dealership, I got talking to some of the HM Plant guys. One of them told me about some real innovations in the Blade engine that are unique to Honda. Didn't have the heart to tell him I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-01-2008, 6:14 AM

The deed is done.......and it looks oh so sexy.

Was on the right track (refer to my post above) except I did not go all the way. Fuel tank have to be removed as well (fuel drained the works).

Had to do a rear tyre replacement - after 2750km and used the change of having the dealer remove the pegs.

Will post some pics later
post #8 of 12 Old 04-01-2008, 6:21 AM Thread Starter

Dealer job at my first service me thinks.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-01-2008, 8:19 AM

I did it when I went to the track, as MadnohB says you have to remove all the back end junk and remove the bolts holding down the pan with all the goodies in, then you can bend the pan far enough up to get the key in to undo the bolts and remove the pegs... Although this is definitely a 2 man job and you need to be willing to bend it, no need to remove the tank, fuel etc.. the whole thing goes back together just fine and nothing broken, but it really is far harder than it needs to be!!!
post #10 of 12 Old 04-01-2008, 8:33 AM

see the dealer can not afford to start bending the pan.....for fear that something might brake. Therefore they have decided to remove the tank as the last two bolts that fastens the pan are located underneath the tank........and also it adds another hour to the labour cost
post #11 of 12 Old 04-14-2008, 10:15 AM

This is scary. I was thinking of taking them off and sending them in to get powder coated and also have LED's installed in my rear pegs so I can take off all that garbage under the seat. But that would mean removing the pegs and putting the bike together again until I get the pegs back. Darn it!!
post #12 of 12 Old 04-14-2008, 10:48 AM

djhartm carried out this mod a while ago; I would like to hear how he managed, to see if he has anything to add to the comments here.

I changed the undertray for the R&G tail-tidy model and when I had the back of the bike stripped considered trying to remove the pegs, but thot against it after some deliberation.

When the novelty of the machine has gone and I am less concerned with a scratch, or two, I'll revisit it.

Also, guys, I bought the OE seat cowl and fitted the included kit exactly to the specification. When I put the cowl on it was quite tight, which I liked as it felt secure and did not therefore rattle. I ensured it was well located in place and went out for a run....I think you will all see where this is going.......yep when I returned, it had fallen off. I am not saying it was not my fault, but ensure the lock of your cowl is fully engaged in the mechanism before going out. I have contacted Honda for comment, but have had no response as yet.

Its an expensive mistake.

BTW, here is the pictures of djhartm's bike without the pegs. Wicked !!!

http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/IMG_0280.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/IMG_0281.JPG

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page