Motor break in period - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 03-29-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Motor break in period

I've owned two other Hondas before this one, but this is the 1st "New" bike I have purchased. I just bought a 08 1000. I've looked in the manual to find out the proper break-in period. The book stated was to avoid quick acceleration and not to read line the bike for the first 300 miles.
What kind of RPM ranges do you run your motors, and how long do you consider "the break in" period to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: Motor break in period

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #3 of 35 Old 03-29-2008, 11:20 AM

Reputation Power: 12

I recently bought a new 07 1000RR. I was told to keep it under 8000 rpm for the first 600 miles. Nothing about quick accelerations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 03-29-2008, 12:04 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Anytime that i have purchased a bike, i have always varied the RPMs that i run, from very low while cruising, to rolling on very high. Never a problem. The rings need to go through heat cycles from what i know and a constant speed and low RPM isnt gonna help that along i dont think.
post #5 of 35 Old 03-29-2008, 12:07 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Ride Red
post #6 of 35 Old 03-30-2008, 5:49 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Why do the manufacturers recommend an easy break in? It seems that they should know & have nothing to gain by dispensing mistruths. A freind of mine cooked his engine because he was sold on "moto man's" hard break in theory. They told him it looked like the engine had been run without oil.
Luckily the dealer was friendly & billed the engine replacement to suzuki. If you decide that you should try the "hard break in" good luck to ya.
post #7 of 35 Old 03-30-2008, 6:37 PM

I would bet that he over did it. Of course I don't know, but if you do it exactly as motoman states, and CHANGE THE OIL very early on (20 to 50 miles) it should never give you a problem. You have to get the metal shavings out of the oil so they can't contaminate the rest of the system. during the break in you can't change the oil too often or too soon. If it was a bearing failure, the hard run would not have had an effect on whether the engine failed or not. The problem with mass produced engines is that every assembly is rarely quality checked. they do it in cycles- every 50th or 200th engine. this can allow for one or two engines that are barely outside the tolerances to slip through. Think about this... Every component of your bike has a tolerance. what happens if the crankshaft journal is at the largest the tolerance allows, at the same time, one of the bearings is at the thickest the tolerance allows? it causes the clearances to shrink. when these clearances shrink, less oil is allowed into the passage. On a four cycle engine, the moving parts should not touch the bearing. What really happens is the oil pressure causes the oil to surround and push against the journal. When the engine is running, the journal actually rides on the oil not the bearing. this is why when you build an engine you have to prime the oil pump to get oil in all the bearings so they don't burn on the initial start up. When less oil is allowed into the passage, and the parts expand while running, you can actually have these parts touch. This kind of failure would show it's face on any engine within just a few hundred miles usually.

when you do the motoman method. You still have to vary the RPM. you can't just go do a top end run and expect the break in to work. Having built quite a few engines myself, I know for a fact that honing tools have gotten quite a bit finer over the past couple decades and the need for long break in periods is not needed any longer. Ask any NASCAR team how long they break their engines in? I bet it's just a few laps on a short track, or a few runs on a dyno. they don't have time to break an engine in over several hundred miles. and the pressures that the moving parts on those engines suffer is way harsher than that of our short stroke engines.
post #8 of 35 Old 03-30-2008, 8:14 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaf View Post
Why do the manufacturers recommend an easy break in? It seems that they should know & have nothing to gain by dispensing mistruths. A freind of mine cooked his engine because he was sold on "moto man's" hard break in theory. They told him it looked like the engine had been run without oil.
Luckily the dealer was friendly & billed the engine replacement to suzuki. If you decide that you should try the "hard break in" good luck to ya.
You do realize that every new bike (and car for that matter) is run before leaving the factory, don't you? What do you think race teams do to break in every engine? The tolerances on new bikes today don't require extended easy break in periods. Can't speak for your friend's bike, but I'm sure there's more to his story...

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #9 of 35 Old 03-31-2008, 5:24 AM

Reputation Power: 41

Yep, a friend in the trade always says to me not too worry as the engine are run at the factory anyway.

My dealer said to use varied revs for the first 600 miles and not go above 6000rpm, even though the manual states 300 mile break in.

I am going with what the delaer says, as it doesn't take long to get to 600 miles, and I feel like I am being kind to my baby.

As for breaking in to get the strongest engine, all a matter of choice I suppose. Somebody could say that the way I break the bike in might result in 3 less hp, like I would notice anyway.
post #10 of 35 Old 03-31-2008, 9:45 AM

Hmm. I have a couple questions then. If every bike is run at the factory why did my two CBR1000RR's only have .2 miles on them. I figured that was put on by the dealer when they put it together and test rode it. Also, how long do you think it takes rings to seat? I'll bet it's not more than 50 or 100 miles. I am ready to change the oil in my two bikes and put Amsoil in them. I have 250 on one and 125 on the other. Anyone see a problem with me doing this so early? I wanted to do it around 50 or 100 miles but held off.
post #11 of 35 Old 03-31-2008, 10:16 AM

Reputation Power: 41

From what I am led to believe, the engines are run before being installed in the chassis. Nowt to do with ODO reading mate.
post #12 of 35 Old 03-31-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatty View Post
From what I am led to believe, the engines are run before being installed in the chassis. Nowt to do with ODO reading mate.
So they hook up an exhaust and stuff to make it run? I find that hard to believe. But, I do learn new things every day.
post #13 of 35 Old 03-31-2008, 11:42 AM

Reputation Power: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoe View Post
Hmm. I have a couple questions then. If every bike is run at the factory why did my two CBR1000RR's only have .2 miles on them.
Your kidding, right?

Ride Red
post #14 of 35 Old 03-31-2008, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
Your kidding, right?

Not at all. Explain why?
post #15 of 35 Old 03-31-2008, 1:04 PM

Starting a bike at the factory to check for leaks is one thing. Running it through the gears is another. When we are talking break in. If someone has any answers, please clue me in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page