New Blade whoops ass in Motorcycle USA smackdown - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-01-2008, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

New Blade whoops ass in Motorcycle USA smackdown

Another victory for the CBR1000RR8.

2008 Superbike Smackdown V - MotorcycleUSA.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-01-2008, 1:26 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Re: New Blade whoops ass in Motorcycle USA smackdown

Cool, thanks for posting that.

A couple of things I found interesting in the numbers was:
There was only 5.8% difference between the slowest bike and the fastest bike accross all the test. That's a pretty tight group for sure.

Also, the final text in the lap times test illustrated a supposed ranking:
1. Kawasaki - 1.8
2. Honda - 1.5
3. Ducati - 3.2
4. Suzuki - 3.7
5. Yamaha - 4.8
Everything seemed to be in order according to the average lap times rank, but the number 1 spot seems out of place according to the numbers. It seems the CBR should have been placed in the no 1 pos. Hmm...

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
post #3 of 8 Old 04-02-2008, 2:53 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Also, the final text in the lap times test illustrated a supposed ranking:
1. Kawasaki - 1.8
2. Honda - 1.5
3. Ducati - 3.2
4. Suzuki - 3.7
5. Yamaha - 4.8
Everything seemed to be in order according to the average lap times rank, but the number 1 spot seems out of place according to the numbers. It seems the CBR should have been placed in the no 1 pos. Hmm...[/quote]

Glad you noticed that too, I couldnt quite work out why they were in that order

Also why for the 1st time this year dont they give the subjective rankings in a table format like previously and the individual testers scorecards??

Besides the CBR winning the thing, there is no indication of what order they rated them in other than the order the page for each bike is in!!!

I always really enjoy the Superbike Smackdown, but I feel this year they have left some of what I think is the juicy detail out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-02-2008, 5:13 AM Thread Starter

Robbo - I know what you mean - I kind of expected some sort of summary of each bike against the same criteria.

Rather, it's really just a long essay on each and doesn't really stack up against what they made out to be a really lengthy test procedure.

There is a short video on each bike with some verbal feedback bust mostly a lot of footage of the guys riding around a track. I'm no expert but some of the track footage looked like a lot of mid turn correction, missing lines and overall just a bit precarious. I know some of those guys can ride well because I've seen it on other vids but these looked a bit odd (like they hadn't been on the bikes as long as they made out). Then again, maybe it was just the camera work?
post #5 of 8 Old 04-02-2008, 12:36 PM

Nice to get some feedback on the RR vs. its competition. Also nice to see how well it stacked up!

I've been waiting for an official test to see how the hard data and the pros/editors impressions stacked up against our (and my own personal) impresssions of the bike. The high points I got out of the test relative to having put in 700 miles on the bike:

- Mid-corner stability and the ability to finish off the corner were both highlighted, which syncs nicely with what we've seen. This is a true strength of this bike.

- Honda's focus on a strong mid-range and broad power spread as opposed to peak power at max revs. This is usable power on the street AND the track, and is really borne out in riding the bike. I am looking forward to additional tests of the bike on higher speed tracks where the Kawi can better use its power (they didnt post numbers for willow springs).

- The Honda's torque, in combination with the decision to run a shorter overall gearing, leading to significant roll-on performance. Honda obviously eschewed top end speed for responsiveness. Again, this is borne out by riding the bike, although the shorter gearing is apparent when riding on the freeway, where you look for another gear once in a while.

- The agility and flickability (is that at word of this bike for a 1000. I originally debated getting an 07 600RR vs. waiting for this bike, and I'm glad Honda made this a priority. I havent ridden a recent 600, but I'm glad we seem to be getting the best of both worlds. BTW, I really liked the 'turbo-charged 600' reference. Some have said in the past that Honda have leaned toward agility at the expense of stability/front end feedback. Again, this is what separates this model and you really sense it when riding it.

- Its hard to call a supersport 'comfortable' (I own a VFR as well), but aside from the seat, the ergos work pretty well in the real world (although the seat does get a bit hard after a relatively short time). The test seems to bear this out in comparing the bike to the others, especially the Kawi.

- theres no accounting for taste, but I did notice they called the fairing styling 'retro'. Hadnt thought of it that way, but since I owned and loved the original 900RR in '93, I guess maybe thats one of the reasons I had an easier time liking the look of the bike. Personally, I think the looks are sort of grown up and sophisticated, sort of what Mercedes Benz would do if they made a sport bike (hope that isn't damning praise )

All in all, a great first test. Looking forward to more.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-03-2008, 9:49 AM

Just a comparative table I made from their figures, interesting when you see the stats together like this, the GSXR is 3 kg's heavier unfueled than the CBR is tank full , thats the kind of weight difference you can feel. Also worth noting is the fuel empty weights, the 1098 and CBR are only 0.14 kg's different but about 2 kg's at tank full, its clear the CBR is carrying more fuel and when you add that to there fuel consumption figures it proves that the blade will go way further on a tank which means less refuelling.

Anyways just adding further proof that the Blade really is the top dog this year,,,,all that GO wrapped in 11 kg's less than any of the other Jap Toys..
Attached Files
File Type: xls SUPERBIKE SMACKDOWN 2008 TABLE.xls‎ (14.5 KB, 12 views)
post #7 of 8 Old 04-03-2008, 1:11 PM Thread Starter

Yep, it's a common joke amongst 1098 owners about how far (or near) you can travel on a tank of fuel.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-03-2008, 7:03 PM

Nice post Robbo.

Seems the print mags do a better job of charting the weight differences.

BTW, its interesting to see how the various brands open bike varies weight-wise over time.

The original '93 900 RR weighed 432 lbs tank empty (454 tank full). This dropped steadily through the 954 model - 405 tank empty - then grew to 437 with the original 1000RR before dropping to 422 and finally 410 for the 08 model.

Suzuki's 01 Gixxer 1000 shrunk to 408 before ballooning now to 445.

The Yamaha R1 started out at 419 in 98 (amazing), dropping to 411 in '02 before moving back up to 435 now.

The Ducati has typically been heavier than the lightest four cylinder, but has now dropped to 410 for the 1098, which is lighter than any 9xx variant before it and certainly less the the original 916 at 443.

These things move in cycles, but its good to see Honda has build a bike that is both light and powerful with awesome handling and full emmission compliance.

Here's to the lightest RR bike yet!

(all data taken from sport riders web site)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page