Newb Question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-01-2008, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Newb Question

What is the main difference between the 600 and the 999cc fireblades? If I was to plan on making a one time purchase " hypothetically " which bike would be a better investment in the long run, money is not object and coverage prices arent in the picture either....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-01-2008, 11:33 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via AIM to RiotSauce
Re: Newb Question

Ha ha ha... Open or closed casket maybe? Na-- mainly its the power-- obviously... I myself have stuck with 600 classes for both my bikes... its enough for me... for now... but I have heard other testimonials for the 1ks as "sitting on a rocket and just hanging on"

Its a big enough difference to the point where when I first came on this site boasting my first sportsbike could be a liter bike, I got my ass beaten then handed to me by the Fireblade gods of old.

With the twist of my wrist, I cease to be human and instead become a god of thunder, speed, and terror.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-01-2008, 11:43 PM

1 liters are funnnnnn!!!!!!!! But if this is your first bike, 600cc might be a wise choice, they are still fast as fu*k! And if you got that much cash to blow, you could have a real nice 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 12:06 AM

Reputation Power: 12

You have listed that you have a 1000RR. Do you? Or do you plan on getting one? I look at the differences between the 600s and 1000s like this... The 1000s are 600s that are super-sized regarding power output. The weight of the two are pretty close. Both have triple disk brakes. Suspensions are basically the same. There isnt a great difference in the physical size of the two. The major difference is power output.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 12:14 AM

I would say the power is a big difference, but the weight difference is worth consideration too. I think a very common misconception is: 600 or 1000 for my first bike. The CBR600RR is not a learner bike. It has a smaller displacement granted, but it is a full blown race bike. You can get outta hand on it just as fast as a liter. Thinking its a just a 600. I never quite fully understood why they call them cotch rockets until I grabbed a handfull of a liter. It is literally like sitting on a freakin rocket and pushing the button. Alot happens very fast. Im not trying to steer you away but dont become a statistic. All the money in the world wont help you if your skippin down the road. Baby steps
post #6 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

I'm not rich, thats why I wanted the hypothetical answer first and I do understand that the power output is significant between a 600 and a liter bike. I havent ever been nice to myself with concerns to driving, anything.... I completed my drivers test for automobiles with a car I had not driven before. If I gave myself enough time to learn how to ride the bike and even had someone help me learn how, would it really make a huge difference? I am not a " speed " demon, I rarely go more than 5 mph over the speed limit and I observe all traffic laws and double check whenever I make do drive " look two times before changing lanes and such " If I was to get the bike, I wouldnt be riding it around a city and I wouldn't be abusing the bike because its my dream bike.... " With power,comes responsibility " I am not taking your words lightly either,I acknowledge how much power the bike has and I also wouldnt be skimping on my "gear" either. I respect my grandfathers old Chevy which I inherited and I would do the same with my fireblade,I take care of my stuff. I saw a guy the other day on a bike, popped a wheelie going at least 70 and I was stunned, I don't know how this will sound to you guys, but I simply am not interested in doing tricks like that..

Last edited by RLVampire; 04-02-2008 at 12:42 AM.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 12:41 AM

We aren't questioning your skills or personality... To put it in perspective... I can drive a car... but stick me in a formula 1 car, odds are I might put it into a wall no matter how careful I am. Yes there is a personality risk associated with bike crashes and even if you are positive you can override it, there is just the technical aspect of it and that is that a 1000 cc sportsbike, as a first bike, is not a wise choice... for all riders, 90% of accidents occur within the first 6 months of riding.. that was taken from a PA motorcycle manual... and I believe it... not doubting your skill... just saying... there are tons of people who stick with 600cc their whole lives... it is in no way a beginners class and a beginners class only...

With the twist of my wrist, I cease to be human and instead become a god of thunder, speed, and terror.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

When I do get a bike, I am going to enroll myself into driving classes for them, for as long as it might take me to get comfortable and skilled enough to drive it.. I know about the accident problems with bikes, I recently have avoided 4 major crashes in my Chevy Silverado within the past 3 months because of reckless drivers, if I was on the bike it could have been worse.... My parents went through a divorce and it was either " drive " or forfeit my life and its taken me the whole school year to get good enough with the truck that I dont worry so much now and with whatever bike I have it would probably be longer.. Could someone give me an example of the difference between the 600 and 999cc motor..... is the 600 like a new mustang which leaves your head pressed to the back of the seat ... and the 999cc is like having your face practically being pulled off your face " like a cartoon " ? " I might be coming off like I dont care what you say to me, my mind is made, however the truth is I am just really curious" If I did get the 600cc or similar bike and in a few years was still " alive " and felt I was well versed enough to move up, would that be smarter in the long run even though it would cost more ?

Last edited by RLVampire; 04-02-2008 at 1:10 AM.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 1:12 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Until you decide to get a bike, I would suggest you get a used dirt bike and ride it as much as you can. You dont need a license and you can get familiar with riding until you decide to get a street bike. The more experience you have to better off you will be on the street. Being cautious is fine, but being cautious and having to think about what you are doing on a bike, on the street, takes too long.

Things happen much faster on the street and you dont have sheet metal protecting you to a degree. On the street, you have to react. If you have to think, its usually too late. The closer you can get you riding skills to a point where you dont think about what you are actually doing, the better off you will be on the street, no matter what size bike you are on.

How many times a day do you think about breathing? Hardly ever, i bet. Your focus has to be completely around you and not on what you are doing.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 1:19 AM

If you are determined to get a 1000cc, then get there the right way... start off on a 600cc or even lower-- the common mistake people make is that a 600cc is a beginners bike... thats like comparing a truck and a sports car... they are different... its not "600 then everyone moves to 1000cc"... if you buy a fairly recent 600cc bike, (prob 99 and up) it will last you more than just a few years... if you still want to move up even tho it will cost you more, it wont outweigh the harm you are sparing yourself by disciplining yourself right now... think with your brain and common sense... then your ego... If you aren't willing to ease into biking the proper way, then you should reconsider... Yes, it is different for everyone but I'm saying from a statistical standpoint, your best bet is to start with a smaller bike... don't judge the 600cc already before you haven't even owned one... ultimatly the choice is yours... go look in my profile and look at all my posts and go to the first few I had-- I sounded just like you I dont mean to grill and I hope you take this as a friendly yet stern recomendation. I don't wanna see another headline.

*sorry for spelling, you kinda threw me into rant mode*

oh and from a new riders perspective, both engine sizes will rip your face off in a "cartoon way"

If you need any more help such as looking at particular models, keep on posting or toss me a PM, I'd be more than glad to help

post #11 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 1:19 AM Thread Starter

Thats exactly what has saved me from being in 4 accidents over the past few months and I already know I want a bike and I will have the money for it within the next two months, thanks for the input, I will see if anything else other than the fireblades catch my eye.. Will also get myself into lessons for driving, even after I pass the tests.... I REALLY want the cbr1000rr ... but I will look into the 600 and below range for now, thanks for the advice once again...
post #12 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 1:28 AM

Sounds like your starting to understand a bit... wanting a CBR1krr is nothing bad, I am just trying to tell ya how to get to the point where you are capable of riding a 1krr safely not just for you but everyone around you...

Stay safe and keep us updated on your search

post #13 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 2:20 AM Thread Starter

Honda or Yamaha... cbr600rr or yzf-r6 ...... decisions... decisions ... Anyone have suggestions ? I have been looking at those two particular models and unless I can find something on ebay or through another online retailer, I think these are the two bikes that I have nailed it down to. Anyone know whats different about the two bikes other than the obvious ?

Last edited by RLVampire; 04-02-2008 at 2:40 AM.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 8:14 PM Thread Starter

Update, went to see the cbr600rr in person today at my " not so local but close enough " motorcycle dealer and I fell in love with it... Its his last one and he promised to keep it around for me till I get the money in the next month or so... Anyone know what kind of wears are good, from personal experience as a sport rider? So far I have the Sidi Vertigo Corset as my boot, Shoei helmet, and a pair of teknic lightning gloves... What about the leggings,shirt, or jacket/body suit... any ideas ?
post #15 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 8:36 PM

Go leather if you can... I didn't have enough money to go full leather so I compromised with mesh.. leather is the safest... I personally use Joe Rocket

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page