Wires gone haywire! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-02-2008, 6:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Wires gone haywire!

I found out that my right hand controller unit has got an issue so I opened it up.

I found one of the two wires that connects to the kills-switch has moved off/separated off, what I believe is the solder. So the result is, the kill switch is always in the off position.

Is it as easy as me re-soldering it on?

Since I've never soldered anything so delicate, I just wanted some advice.

I've included two photos for your convenience.
Attached Thumbnails
SSM16683_thumb.gif‎   SSM16684_thumb.gif‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-02-2008, 7:43 AM

Reputation Power: 36

Re: Wires gone haywire!

I'd say take it to someone who has more experience soldering that type of thing. It looks repairable but if not done properly, you'll be sitting at the side of the road.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-02-2008, 8:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

looks like basic soldering to me - no hi-tech components to damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-02-2008, 9:28 PM

How old is the bike?

THe wire cracking at the solder tells me that there wasn't enough mechanical stress protection at the joint. Can you clean the solder up and see if there is a hole the wire goes in, or anything like that? Other than that, I'd just resolder it, and if you can safely put a little hot glue or something similar(silicon would be even better) to that around the joint and the wire at the joint, that may help prevent the wire from fracturing again.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-03-2008, 3:47 AM Thread Starter

What happened was the casing had a thin crack after the bike was flipped.

Everything is O.K now, but it just needs to be re soldered. I don't think there is any hole as soon as I press the wire against the solder joint the bike fires up.

Like I mentioned in the first, because of this separated wire, the kill switch is always in the 'engaged' position.

Thanks for the idea on the super glue/silicone thing, I wouldn't really know how to apply it in this situation as the solder blob is pretty tiny and it's the only thing that's holding the wire in place.

But you put out a good point on the stress level of the wires, by adding another form of adhesion it might just stick in place ever better.

EDIT: I have a 2001, 929 Fireblade
post #6 of 6 Old 04-03-2008, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungusMaximist View Post
Everything is O.K now, but it just needs to be re soldered. I don't think there is any hole as soon as I press the wire against the solder joint the bike fires up.
What I was referring to would be UNDER the solder. Remove the solder. There may be a designed in small hole in the center of the switch. You strip the wire back, feed it through the hole, then resolder. The easiest way to tell if there is a hole, is to heat up the solder and remove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungusMaximist View Post
Thanks for the idea on the super glue/silicone thing, I wouldn't really know how to apply it in this situation as the solder blob is pretty tiny and it's the only thing that's holding the wire in place.

But you put out a good point on the stress level of the wires, by adding another form of adhesion it might just stick in place ever better.

EDIT: I have a 2001, 929 Fireblade
It has nothing to do with adhesion. The solder creates a strong enough mechanical connection. Look at your wire, it snapped off OUTSIDE of the solder. There is still wire inside the solder. When you heat it up with a soldering iron you will find it. The solder adheres well enough on its own.

The reason for the silicone is due to the fact that the solder creates such a firm mechanical connection. The wire is held firmly in place by the solder, unmoving. Then the rest of the wire just outside of the solder can bend and twist. This results in the wire eventually getting sheared off right where it exits the solder. It is basically the same effect as if you continued to bend a coat hangar at one point. Eventually it will break right there. I've seen it happen in under a year on some bikes that see more shock loads, from jumping for instance).

What you want to do is create basically a strain relief that goes from the solder joint, at least to covering the wire sheath, like most appliances have built into their power cords nowadays.

But if the bike lasted 8 years before running into this, it may be overkill to do all that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page