Front bright-light blowing fuses! Need Help!! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-02-2008, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Front bright-light blowing fuses! Need Help!!

i have a 2002 954RR and just recently it started blowing its 20amp fuse every time i put my bright lights on (i have to carry around a pocket full of 20amp fuses everytime i leave the house at night). however, the two small/parking lights on each side of the main headlight remain on even though the main headlight blows the fuse and goes off. What the hell is going on? Yep, i need help becuase i'm in the dominican republic and there are no Honda (sport bike) dealerships or diagnostic equipment down here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-03-2008, 1:31 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: Front bright-light blowing fuses! Need Help!!

Are the bulbs H4 or H7?
post #3 of 11 Old 04-03-2008, 9:10 AM Thread Starter

I don't know if the bulbs are H4 or H7 but, its the same light that came with the bike in 2002 and it has never blown a fuse until just recently, and now everytime i use the Hi-Beams it immediately blows the fuse. it just started doing this 2 weeks ago when i was riding home at night. crazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 109

Frank, check the plug going into the regulator/ rectifier (symptoms suggest this may be the problem). If it's going brown (evidence of overheating) it will need to be replaced.

They're not cheap.

If this is the problem (and to be fair, I'm not saying it definitely is) it's far better to replace it with an aftermarket one, not honda and do it before it takes out other areas of your electrical system, too. Honda's regulator/ rectifier has a bad habit of going tits up. Make sure the one you get has cooling fins. Good luck
post #5 of 11 Old 04-03-2008, 1:59 PM Thread Starter

ok. now please tell me where the regulator/rectifier is at? thank you.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-03-2008, 6:46 PM Thread Starter

ok, i found the regulator/rectifier. i had to remove the rear seat and plastic fairing. tomorrow i will take it to an electrician to see if we can figure out why and where it shorting-out and blowing the 20amp fuse for my headlight.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-03-2008, 9:57 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
ok, i found the regulator/rectifier. i had to remove the rear seat and plastic fairing. tomorrow i will take it to an electrician to see if we can figure out why and where it shorting-out and blowing the 20amp fuse for my headlight.
If it is a bad regulator/rectifier, that could be the cause of the blown fuses, not necessarily a short somewhere. A regulator putting out excess voltage will put excess current through the lights. The spikes from it could be enough to pop a fuse.

I've heard of a few other people with the regulator problem. They heatsinked the replacement regulator(I think they did go with a Honda part though), and it didn't reoccur.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-03-2008, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

i don't know anything about electronics. but i was wondering... if it a bad regulator causing this then, why aren't any other fuses getting blown. i use my horn and turn signals without there fuses being blown? again, i don't know anything about electronics so i don't even know if my question makes sense!
post #9 of 11 Old 04-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 109

Frank the question makes sense, but I'm not to sure I can given you the best answer. I think it has something to do with which way they decide to give up.
I had a problem with mine and it fried the starter fuse and the main fuse. It didn't damage anything else.

I also heard some say that when theirs went, it took out most of the electrics. I'm sure some one here will be able to explain why though. Good luck sorting it out
post #10 of 11 Old 04-04-2008, 12:57 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surffrog View Post
Frank the question makes sense, but I'm not to sure I can given you the best answer. I think it has something to do with which way they decide to give up.
I had a problem with mine and it fried the starter fuse and the main fuse. It didn't damage anything else.

I also heard some say that when theirs went, it took out most of the electrics. I'm sure some one here will be able to explain why though. Good luck sorting it out
Ideally, the fuses will protect things. But voltage spikes and high voltages can be tough on things. The other items may have fuses that are sufficiently large enough to account for a increase in current.

Another thing I have heard of, although it isn't common, is a bad headlight bulb causing a fuse to blow. It would be the easiest and cheapest thing for you to replace.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-04-2008, 5:15 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Trace the wires coming from the headlights. I bet you'll find a bare bit that is touching some metal, or another wire. You may have to unwrap some of the wiring, but don't be scared of that, just use electrical tape to re wrap it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page