I made something ! Wohoo! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-29-2003, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: I made something ! Wohoo!

hey people I made this and Im about to put it up on my site, can you guys read over it and see if there are things I need to change. appreciate it

Disclaimer! I am a nooby a beginner everything that I have wrote is from my personal experience, I am only giving advice and not technical support help. If something goes wrong I am nor is the site that you got the information at all responsible. You read this on your own and by reading this you have agreed that the person that created this information is not responsible for damages, leaks, or accidents. Thanks enjoy! If you would like professional help please go to your dealership or a licensed mechanic. Thanks

Clutch cover removal

Ok this is a brief walk through to the removal of a Honda CBR 929RR clutch cover transfer case and the installation of a lifting lever or actuator lever. When I went through the process I did not find too much trouble until I had to take the whole unit off. But I will quickly explain on how to remove the cover install the new lifting lever and then place back the transfer cover, this was my first time and I sure could have used something like this walkthrough to get things done quicker. So if something doesnít sound right people just email me and I will fix it. Good luck

Things you will need:

Hondabond (you can get this at your local Honda dealer ship, I recommend this because you could usually not go wrong on OEM stuff)

CBR 929 RR Oil filter (once again get OEM, I heard of people getting K&N and having trouble removing/installing it because itís a little bigger.)

Four quarts of oil (whatever you use for your particular bike your going to have to drain it)

Clutch lifting lever from Honda (try not to get one off your friends because good chance that you are going to get a hollow shaft lifting arm, you need to get a solid shaft lifting arm)

Aluminum foil (its to cover your headers when you remove the oil filter)

Funnel (for oil)

Oil pan ( to drain your oil into)

Tools that you need:

Metric socket size 8 and 12 (8 will be for the cover bolts on the outer rim of the cover and the 12 is for draining the oil)

Size 5 hex wrench (for the fairing mounts)

Flat head (I donít recommend using it but it might help)

Step one:

I started out by removing my lower plastics and my upper half plastic on my bike, I had to remove my left and right side because I didnít want to split the lower fairing, then I removed my middle half right side to access my oil filter.

Step two:

Then you start the oil draining process, I would first loosen the draining bolt under the bike by using a size 12 socket. I would only loosen it!! After that I would place the oil pan under the bike and hand twist the bolt off. While that is draining I would then wrap the aluminum foil around my headers so when I remove the oil filter oil will not spill onto my headers. Tilt the bike a little bit, if you have a stand great! It helps. Keep draining till you know its all gone. Then remove the oil filter if its really hard to get off use a filter wrench, if that doesnít work try using a Philips head screw driver and hammer it side ways into the filter. I heard of people doing this. Once all the oils are out of the bike I would then replace the filter and place back the drain bolt.

Step three:

Once all the oil is out of your beast unplug the timing sprocket . It should be a black wire with a red connector, its pretty simple to remove you donít have to take your tank off just push down on the catch and pull, but donít pull with all your might. Then start (be sure that your actuator is already pulled out only if its broken off, it simply be pulled out) loosening your clutch cover bolts by using a size 8 socket wrench. Loosen them all and remove. Once all the bolts are off use a little elbow grease and your muscles to remove the cover, its going to be a bitch to remove but you can do it. There are two pins that will you give you trouble just keep yanking on it till it comes off. I recommend not to use a flat head but if you do find the top left corner and see if you can fit it in, be careful since it can damage your seal on the cover. If you still have the lever still complete just twist it until if comes dislodges itself.

Step four:

Now that you have removed the cover you see the internals of your clutch, donít touch a thing! Donít tinker in there unless you know what the heck you are doing. Flip the cover and look at where the shaft goes into. On the bottom should be the other piece of your lifting lever (unless it didnít break) remove it. Now look at it again and make sure that there is no debris from the part (usually is) use a q tip to remove whatever is in there. Once that is done slip the spring through the new lifting lever shaft and put it through the clutch cover case. Make it go in and it line it up so that top piece is pointing to the left.

Step five:

Once the new part is in apply hondabond on the outer rim of the inner cover. You want a good seal so that no oil leaks. Then just line up the cover and slide it back in. It will take a little work but you can do it. Donít hammer on it just push it back in. Once it is in place connect the clutch cable piece first. You wan to test to see if it works, so just connect your clutch cable back and pull on your clutch lever. It should be like how it use to be or better, if its worst check your clutch line cable you might need a new one or you might have not put it back on right. If there is no pressure then you might have not connected the lifting lever right. So call your dealer or post on FIREBLADES.ORG!!!! If it does work like it use to place back all the bolts on the clutch cover case and tighten. Then place that generator connecter back to the red connector on the bike frame.

Step Six:

Your almost done. Once all the bolts are tighten and your lever works fine its time to put back the oil. Start by using a funnel and place it on the oil filling station on your bike. It takes four quarts to fill it so pour that sucker in. I would hope that you already have put your filter back on. Once all oil is in, inspect your cover look for leaks!! For any leaks. Check your filter see if there are leaks. If there is then you didnít do a good job on placing Hondabond on. Shame on you! Once thatís done start the bike and do a test. Try to place the bike on first gear and back to neutral. It should then work fine if everything is in plaece.

Step seven:

Put all your plastics back on and ride. Test out all of your gears, have fun and be safe. Wohoo!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-29-2003, 11:08 PM

Reputation Power: 20

I'm not very bike mechanically inclined so what's it for??

Other than that, you were thorough.!!
post #3 of 9 Old 10-29-2003, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

well the more i noticed it its for a clutch actuator/lifting lever, and an oil change so I mentioned more than just one thing! ehehheh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-29-2003, 11:15 PM

Reputation Power: 20

is it for the replacement of the actuator, or a mode that improves performance??

The oil thing i got down pat already
post #5 of 9 Old 10-29-2003, 11:16 PM

Quote:
MarkN929RR : hey people I made this and Im about to put it up on my site, can you guys read over it and see if there are things I need to change. appreciate it

Disclaimer! I am a newbie (a beginner). Everything that I have written is from my personal experience. I am only giving advice and not technical support help. If something goes wrong neither I nor the site that you got the information from at all responsible. You read this on your own and by reading this you have agreed that the person that created this information is not responsible for damages, leaks, or accidents. Thanks and enjoy! If you would like professional help, please go to your dealership or a licensed mechanic.

Thanks

Clutch cover removal

Ok, this is a brief walk-through on the removal of a Honda CBR 929RR clutch cover, transfer case, and the installation of a lifting lever or actuator lever. When I went through the process I did not find too much trouble until I had to take the whole unit off. I will quickly explain how to remove the cover, install the new lifting lever, and then replace the transfer cover. This was my first time and I sure could have used something like this walkthrough to get things done more quickly. If something doesnít sound right people, just email me and I will fix it. Good luck!

Things you will need:

Hondabond - you can get this at your local Honda dealership; I recommend this because you usually can't go wrong with OEM stuff

CBR 929 RR Oil filter - once again get OEM; I heard of people getting K&N and having trouble removing/installing it because itís a little bigger

Four quarts of oil - whatever you use for your particular bike; you're going to have to drain it

Clutch lifting lever from Honda - try not to get one from your friends because there's a good chance that you are going to get a hollow shaft lifting arm (a recalled part); you need to get a solid shaft lifting arm

Aluminum foil - it's to cover your headers when you remove the oil filter

Funnel - for refilling the crankcase with oil

Oil pan - to drain your oil into

Tools that you need:

Metric sockets size 8 and 12; 8 will be for the cover bolts on the outer rim of the cover, and the 12 is for draining the oil

5mm hex wrench for the fairing mounts

Philips head (cross-tip) screwdriver (I donít recommend using it but it might help)

Step one:

I started out by removing my lower plastics and the upper half plastic on my bike. I had to remove my left and right side plastics because I didnít want to split the lower fairing. I then removed the middle half, right side plastic to access the oil filter.

Step two:

I started the oil draining process. I first loosened the draining bolt under the bike by using a size 12 socket. I only loosened it!! After that I placed the oil pan under the bike and hand twisted the bolt off. While the oil drained, I would wrapped the aluminum foil around the headers, so when it came time to remove the oil filter, oil would not spill onto the headers. Tilt the bike a little bit, if you have a stand great, it helps to get all the old oil out. Keep draining until you know that all the oil's out. Next, remove the oil filter; if it's really hard to get off use an filter wrench, and if that doesnít work, try using a Philips head screw driver by hammering it side ways into the filter. I heard of people doing this. Once all the oil was out of the bike I replaced the filter, and replaced the drain bolt.
OK, so far I made the above changes.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-29-2003, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

its just for the acuator, if they have not changed it from a recall, hey 20oho2954, wanna check my psychology paper? hahah I need someone to check my grammer and stuff!!
hehehe

thanks dude

Mark
post #7 of 9 Old 10-29-2003, 11:44 PM

Quote:
MarkN929RR : its just for the acuator, if they have not changed it from a recall, hey 20oho2954, wanna check my psychology paper? hahah I need someone to check my grammer and stuff!!
hehehe

thanks dude

Mark
post #8 of 9 Old 10-31-2003, 7:12 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 18

Mark,

Not to be a stickler, but to avoid any confusion, the red connector is not for the generator (stator) - that is on the other side of the bike. The red plug you are referring to is for the timing sprocket.

Otherwise, good read.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-01-2003, 5:40 PM Thread Starter

thanks Jake, I went on ahead and did a edit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page